• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Native American Heritage?

Do you have native american heritage?

• Yes.

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • No.

Votes: 23 37.1%

• Total voters

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Wow... was not expecting that result (so far) in the poll - so cool to see so many with native heritage!

Don't have any myself. Ancestry is Scottish, Irish, German and Slovak.

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
Basically a mix of Native American, German and Prussian.

Nargle

HOOT
I think there should be options for only a tiny amount of Native American blood, and a considerable amount. A very large majority of Caucasian and Hispanic people I know boast being around 1/64th Native American >.<

Anyways, I'm 1/4th Ojibwa. Several childhood Halloweens were spent dressed as Pocahontas XD Sucks that I wasn't registered with my tribe when I was a kid, though, because I could have gotten scholarships out the wazzoo! >.<

nedded

is a goat.
I got a bit of Iroquois in me. Not much, but it's enough to give me an incredibly hawkish nose.

Kingman

Inquisitor of the Radical Ordo
Cheerokee descent. ^-^

Moka

I think there should be options for only a tiny amount of Native American blood, and a considerable amount. A very large majority of Caucasian and Hispanic people I know boast being around 1/64th Native American >.<

That would be useful information.

I've been told that I have native american ancestry (I can't remember the details), but if that's actually true than it would be far enough back in my family tree to be practically irrelevant.

To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find anybody in this country whose family has been here for more than three generations that doesn't have a little Native American in them.

This.

Yain

It's a dead mans party!
I know I got some Cherokee in my blood, since I can trace my ancestry back to someone on the trail of tears on my mothers. Believe I got some Choctaw in me too from my dad sides (kinda hard to trace).

CannibalWeasel

Cannibalistic
wow, a lot of 'halfbloods' (no offense)

I'm 100% Pure Northern Cree, I go to Pow Wows, Grass Dance, Eat deer (though I'm still learning to handle the raw stuff) and even know a few old traditional songs. Oddly, I was raised by an Irish woman and French Canadian man....Adoption.

I'm proud of my heritage, but sadly it seems The First Nations aren't all that proud of themselves.....the public drunks, Homeless and ext. my town's population is 75% natives and only a handful of them actually work and decent lives..the rest are a bunch of smelly bums.. makes me almost ashamed.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
wow, a lot of 'halfbloods' (no offense)

I'm 100% Pure Northern Cree, I go to Pow Wows, Grass Dance, Eat deer (though I'm still learning to handle the raw stuff) and even know a few old traditional songs. Oddly, I was raised by an Irish woman and French Canadian man....Adoption.

I'm proud of my heritage, but sadly it seems The First Nations aren't all that proud of themselves.....the public drunks, Homeless and ext. my town's population is 75% natives and only a handful of them actually work and decent lives..the rest are a bunch of smelly bums.. makes me almost ashamed.

My aunt and uncle adopted as well, giving me an adopted full blood cousin. :)

I agree though that the state of many natives is awful, and it enrages me that previous generations basically made life miserable for them with the forced Christian schools and inadequately funded reservations, and the problem with reservations clearly persists today. As far as I'm concerned, the natives of this country are it's rightful people and founders, who should have been respected and honoured, not shoved aside. I've repeatedly sent a lot of stuff to local and provincial governments asking for things to be changed. There is often great info on who to write to and what to ask for at the First Nations website: http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=3

As for those who are not working, well, that comes down to a personal choice - regardless of ancestry, any society has those who are stagnant, and to change that, maybe there just needs to be encouragement, or a person to inspire them again.

Yours is a heritage and culture to be proud of, always. :)

BlauShep

Pete Townshend's Dog
my father's great grandmother was Cherokee... not sure how much that makes me native american, but if you're counting by the one drop rule, i guess that makes me a native american. 8D

other than that, i'm... black, black, black, white-ish, and black.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I am 1/4th Native American,with Algonquin and Cherokee.
My Lineage is dominatly Cajun.

Last edited:

Trip

House tiger
I'm surprised there are so many with a bit of Native American background! I guess capthavoc is right, though; it must be pretty likely if someone's family has been in North America for many generations. It still seems weird to me, though; I'm second generation Canadian myself (grandparents on both sides emigrated here from Europe in the '50s), so I don't know what that's like.

serious-stripes

Stuck in the Midwest
Pretty much everyone in America has some NA blood in them. Thinking that there is some sort correlation between having NA heritage and being furry inclined is a simply ridiculous hypothesis. Its not like being in the fandom is genetic or anything.

The only exception to the furry/NA link may be if you were extremely interested in your ancestors religious beliefs and discovered you were a therian in the process, but that's obviously a minority case.

BTW I'm a quarter Cherokee : )

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Pretty much everyone in America has some NA blood in them. Thinking that there is some sort correlation between having NA heritage and being furry inclined is a simply ridiculous hypothesis. Its not like being in the fandom is genetic or anything.

No, and I agree.

The only exception to the furry/NA link may be if you were extremely interested in your ancestors religious beliefs and discovered you were a therian in the process, but that's obviously a minority case.

BTW I'm a quarter Cherokee : )

I guess I am part of that minority.

cern

I'm a mix of Irish, Sicilian, and a whole hodgepodge of Germanic. So no biological native american heritage, no.

That said, I have a fascinated interest in native art, especially the highly distinctive styles you see here on the Northwest Coast. To that end have done a fair amount of of study on the art and cultures in this part of the world.

shieldswulf

Wow...guess i learned another thing...there are more native americans that are furry than i thought there were x3.

to answer the poll though...yea...im Native american. im about 5-10% shy of being full blood. if i remember right i get a bit from my bilogical moms side, she is chippawa cree and the rest from my bilogical fathers side, he is full blood Sioux. i dont known what kind of sioux but i know it had to do with river. ive never really had the chance to sit and chat with him about it. if anyone feels like chatting just send me a message would be more than happy to chat with other native americans x3

Masakuni

I know my grandma on my dad's side has a lot of Native American heritage, I can't quite remember what tribe, though.

SirRob

Whoa!! The poll results totally took me by surprise!

No, I have no Native American blood in me, although I think the culture is pretty cool. Almost as cool as Japan's. Almost.

Lukar

Durrgon
I'm not quite sure. =/ Maybe. My grandma told me that I'm Scottish and Irish, but me and alot of my friends at school agree that I look kind of Indian or something.

Wolfbound

Skilled in the art of losing.
I'm part Slapahoe.

Jkjkjk.

To be honest the only blood I'm certain of in me is that I'm 1/4 Japanese. Everything else is literally a mystery. I've always wished I could kinda go back in time though, and live the way Native Americans did. . . Only like, without the dead wolf pelt stuff. Yeah I'd likely do without that.