• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Natural Fur vs. Crazy Colors?

King Gourd

Im all for natural colors, but a bit of something different is always cool.

...is invisible a color?

Quiet269

EDIT: ^Ask a polar bear
/end edit

There is an extent to what you can do with hair dye though :p

quinntan

I like natural coloring more. I think it looks better but, I wouldn't ever get a tattoo or dye my hair in real life so, maybe I'm a little biased...

PJHippo

Hungry Hungry Hippo!!
I prefer the natural colours and markings, but saying that I colour in my hippo fursona in grey, rather than the actual hippo colour of a dark brown. Each to their own, I 'spose.

eh, I admit to being one of those crazy people who make anthro characters with random colors. But I usually try and kinda go with a theme (like green and black, or all one color, ect ect.)

Truthfully, I think more of my characters are unnaturally colored then ones that are naturally colored xD (one reason may be because I love making hybrids, haha....and I love colors...so sometimes normal color schemes on animals are just too boring for me.)

Although, my fursona is natural colored, she's a english angora rabbit with the "fawn" color scheme, which is a true color scheme for that type of rabbit. but my namesake "Shirei" is definitely no where near natural xD (then again, a serval-jackal hybrid demon with undead properties really isn't very normal, is it?)

G

Glennjam

I don't mind either way =3 Mine is pretty normal ( but that's cause I'm too stupid to think of anything cool for a pattern or something x3 )

Yeah, I don't mind unnatural colors, even though I prefer natural ones, myself.
What bugs me though is when a character's design is overly complicated, with a billion little accessories and markings that are impossible to remember. x-x It makes it difficult if you're trying to draw a picture of the character or something.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
1201764948.net-cat_badge-kitsumi-fc08.jpeg

I have mostly natural colors with a touch of blue.

How the blue got there is an exercise left to the reader.

That said, I don't mind unnatural colors. Although I have seen some pretty gaudy characters.

Quiet269

^Highlights are cool...

but having Rainbow colored star sparkles running down your arms seems a bit much :p

Autumnal

lolwut
Lulz yeah. Unnatural colors are great when put together so it's not a mass of RED ON BLUE AND YOUR EYES ARE BURNING OUT OF YOUR HEAD AND WHOA IS THAT LIME GREEN AND BRIGHT PINK AND RAINBOW SPARKLE STARS WITH MAGICAL WINGS AND A DREAM PENDANT AND IT'S A DRAGON LLAMA ANGEL DEMON FOX WOLF HORSE WITH A TRAGIC PAST AND ITS SO BRIGHTLY COLORED ITS LIKE A RAINBOW OF PAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIINN.

Nylak

Angry Otter
...I lean towards natural colours, myself. I'm pretty conservative artistically. I mean, I love messing with markings and such, but I very rarely include unnatural colours. This should be relatively obvious...I mean, my fursona is as common as they come, nothing original at all. x_x; Which I still admit is odd, since IRL my hair has been consistently heavily streaked firehydrant red against my natural brown for a good 5+ years, because normal colours bored me.

But in other peoples' fursonas/characters, I don't really care. But when it comes to a commission...I honestly much prefer drawing more conservative designs. They just seem more aesthetically pleasing to me. A little originality is always welcome, but too much makes me feel like I just huffed a dozen gallons of radioactive spray paint once I'm done drawing.

Dexiro

*tailwag*
I like stuff like this. Highlights are sexy

i think you've changed my opinion a little bit :p

i think highlights look pretty good sometimes

it's just when i think unnatural colored fur, the first image that comes into my head is a wolf that's bright green all over

Kingman

Inquisitor of the Radical Ordo
/That being said, furries would probably have a big market for fur dye.

You know you have a point.

I'm natural colored, even though my hair and neck are a lot fuzzier then a normalish black cougar.

Wolfbound

Skilled in the art of losing.
My fursona species has a lot of room for alternatives, but I like natural colours most of the time. Greys, whites, black.

I've got admit though, a topcoat of hunter green is awesome camo. >_> I'm not afraid of dyes.

It's the ravers that scare me.

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I like natural, but I have seen a few unnatural ones that I don't mind.

I personally think it's more interesting to see how people use natural colors and markings to make a character look unique than to see them use unnatural colors. -nod-

Seas

a sentient shade of teal
My fursona is from an unusual/unique species so I can't say matching colors to the real animal. But, when designing my sona I always had natural camouflage and feature-hiding color patterns in mind. It isn't really visible on this current 100x100 icon I have here, but I'm curerntly working on a characterreference that shows this.

Lina Loaded

Whatever works. Us humans can have some pretty weird mutations ourselves, as can some members of the animal kingdom.

Though I do prefer somewhat natural. As in "Well, the fur was brown but now it's three colours. Yeah, the bleach hurt." not "Well, it's a neon pink heart that changes to star when I'm happy, and glows in the dark and etc..."

Xan_vega

I don't care one way or the other, since of my fursonas I have both. I have blue or yellow mice, a brown bunny, grey-blue hippo, and a bird with rainbow plumage. I like variety, I dye my hair all the time so why should my characters be boring and always follow the rules of nature?

talakestreal

The Laconic Draconic
So I'm reading through this thread this morning, sorta sleep-deprived, not wholly awake, and the silly little voice in my head pipes up.

"I know why they're so brightly colored!"

The tired, bemused me can't help but quirk an eyebrow.

"Why?"

"Because they want to attract a mate!"

Which in a convoluted way almost makes sense. If you're sleep-deprived and living on caffeine. In almost any species, the male is a gaudy over-colored sort of thing (Peacock, anyone?).

The furry fandom is predominantly male. Thus, bright colors to attract attention.