• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Navigation Revamp

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
I was thinking FA's menu could use a tiny bit of re-ordering on the main site prime and Control Panel. I figured I'd run the change proposal publically -vs- just to the admin side, as it's always good to get a wide census of how people feel. =)

• Browse > No change
  • Submit > No change
  • Journal > Becomes My Journal to better clarify where it takes you on the site.
  • Affinity Code > The Affinity Code gets removed from the main navigation and relocated to the Control Panel. It's not really a major feature of the site, but can still be nifty. That, or we just stick a copy of the Da Vinci Code in its place and see if anybody notices.
  • Staff > No change
  • Forums > Well, you clicked the link... it took you here. I think it works. No change!
  • Wikiffinity FAQ > Becomes Help & Support. While it still takes you to Wikiffinity, the link becomse infinitely more clear as to its purpose.
  • FA Chat > Becomes Chat. There's no need to keep it "FA Chat" because, y'know, I have a hunch that people already know they're on FA! But it's just a hunch. Anyway, the link also changes to redirect to our Wikiffinity article with information on how to join the chat! Makes it easier.
  • Import > Is removed. You can't do this anymore, so... yeah. Makes sense.
  • Wikifur > Is removed and added to...
  • Portal > New Link on the site which contains links and information to other interesting aspects of the Furry community such as sites like Wikifur, Inkspots, VCL, Rabbit Valley, Something Awful, etc. Fur Affinity is first and foremost about community (and art) and, as such, I feel it's a good idea to help bring the community out a bit to other users.
  • Terms of Service > Removed. It's at the bottom of every single page on the site!
  • Submission Agreement > Disintegrated in a mushroom cloud of swift-fingered deletion. Oh, and it's at the bottom of every single page of the site.
  • FA: United 2007 > Gets removed and transplanted to a neat lil' graphical image that links directly to the con page. BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GO TO THE CON, RIGHT? Punch and pie.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions? Nothing is set in stone as of yet. =)

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Add in Helpdesk Ticket in your navigation panel.

Reason for this is as it currently stands there isn't a "Report Submission" violation on images or "report comment" and any other related issues so at least a helpdesk ticket in the nav panel will help things out too.

dave hyena

A wonderous moorhen
What if some of the stuff under "management" in the control panel had their names changed to make it more immediately obvious e.g:

Shouts -> Delete Shouts
Buddies -> Remove Watch
Submissions -> Edit & Delete Submissions
Favorites -> Remove Favorite

Aside from that, I like what is proposed. Esp. renaming wikifinity and also a general "links of interest for people with an affinity for fur" section. By it's nature, many people new to the furry fandom might come to FA and such a links section can only be beneficial.

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
The changes look good to me, and I also agree with Arshes' suggestion for an easier link to Trouble Tickets and Dave's renaming of some links. When I'm in the CP, it's difficult to quickly remember if "submissions" etc are under MANAGE or MESSAGES.

:nod:

Mitch_DLG

Can we get "Previous" and "Next" buttons with little thumbnails when looking at a piece of art in someone's gallery? Please?

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Can there be a Headbutt Monitor one for when errors start to happen?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Mitch_DLG said:
Can we get "Previous" and "Next" buttons with little thumbnails when looking at a piece of art in someone's gallery?  Please?
Perhaps down the line, but that's just not an easy thing to toss in.

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
Just out of curiosity:
Why are you changing it?
Just to change it?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Swampwulf said:
Just out of curiosity: Why are you changing it? Just to change it?
Mostly just because I've found some of the descriptions a lil' awkward myself, and I know some other people I know have felt the same. I'd rather we attempt to streamline everything.

Mainly, I was only originally going to change the Wikiffinity link, but then I noticed a few things here and there that could be improved on, too.

m2pt5

I find it amusing that you have Something Awful listed under "other interesting aspects of the furry community". SA is the last site I'd associate with anything furry-related.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
m2pt5 said:
I find it amusing that you have Something Awful listed under "other interesting aspects of the furry community". SA is the last site I'd associate with anything furry-related.
But at least I can proove you read it now. =)

GreenReaper

Rambling Norn
There's a "Portal" link? I don't see it . . . just a grey box saying "nav links" with eight entries in two columns, and a text link to United! below that. Perhaps I caught it halfway through the change?

I did notice a drop in traffic from FA to WikiFur - down to about 30 visitors yesterday from about 115 the same day last week. Of course, we're being sustained by the 300 visitors a day from Google coming just to see our coverage of High Tail Hall. :roll:

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
GreenReaper said:
There's a "Portal" link? I don't see it . . . just a grey box saying "nav links" with eight entries in two columns, and a text link to United! below that. Perhaps I caught it halfway through the change?

I did notice a drop in traffic from FA to WikiFur - down to about 30 visitors yesterday from about 115 the same day last week. Of course, we're being sustained by the 300 visitors a day from Google coming just to see our coverage of High Tail Hall. :roll:
It'll go up in a few days -- just collecting some resources so the portal doesn't lead to a page with merely one or two entries.

Just to let you know, we're not trying to hurt Wikifur by doing this. The main goal is to ensure that people can get to where they need to get to on the site, and having two wikis on the main

Somebody put the changes live before I was even ready to do them, so I went ahead and took care of all the other pages that I could right off. I wasn't ready to do the nav revamp before it happened.

GreenReaper

Rambling Norn
Preyfar said:
Just to let you know, we're not trying to hurt Wikifur by doing this.
Well, if you were, you could, 'cause it's your site! But no, I didn't think that - most large furry sites have similar portal pages, and we're glad enough to get on them. We've had a link from the sidebar of every FA page for a long time now - it's only fair to let other sites get a bit of the action as well. :wink: