• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Need a game to sink my time into

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Can't tell if that Jeez is because it's bad specs or you think it's good x3

Jeez because, well for one I'm not a fan of AMD (no offense to anyone who is) and for two I didn't see the TB post until after so I thought that 400- something GB was all you had, and I was worried lol.

But since you have the TB you should be perfectly fine to get Witcher (assuming you want it) so long as you get your steam games on that and not the main drive.

Jestwinged

<Insert Meme Here>
Your rig is about entry level for gaming.

I'm pretty happy with it, every game I have tried I can run on very high / ultra with no problem ^^

It's weird actually, a new game came out recently and people with 1080 ti's etc were saying their FPS was super low, they had great specs etc.

Jestwinged

<Insert Meme Here>
Jeez because, well for one I'm not a fan of AMD

I used to be on the AMD hate train, I know how notorious they were especially for overheating etc, but I have to say honestly for the price I dont think you can go wrong with them these days

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I used to be on the AMD hate train, I know how notorious they were especially for overheating etc, but I have to say honestly for the price I dont think you can go wrong with them these days
Ryzen is a gamechanger. Very superior compared to the previous two FX lines and now superior to Intel in many ways.
They may not have as high single core clock speeds, but more programs than ever, including games, are taking advantage of multiple cores.
Also, considering you can get a Ryzen chip of similar power to an Intel one at a fraction of the price, It's no wonder many manufacturers are jumping architectures.

Intel has just been recycling the same architecture for a decade or so and since Ryzen hit the market, Intel had and still has their pants around their ankles and are fumbling to pull them up.

Just look at how that recent i9 was received lol

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

That's fair, but if I'm saving up for a PC anyway I might as well save up extra for something that doesn't have a chance of blowing up due to having cheaper parts.

Again, not trying to razz your machine - so long as it functions it's good in my book, I just don't understand the whole "Cheaper is better" if they aren't impulse buying a rig. If you're spending the time to save, then why not actually save to get something you'll REALLY treasure, over something that's just "good for the price"?

But again, I understand circumstances are circumstances such as those who just buy what works, or are on a budget and don't want to save up for eight months or something crazy, etc etc.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Ryzen is a gamechanger. Very superior compared to the previous two FX lines and now superior to Intel in many ways.
They may not have as high single core clock speeds, but more programs than ever, including games, are taking advantage of multiple cores.
Also, considering you can get a Ryzen chip of similar power to an Intel one at a fraction of the price, It's no wonder many manufacturers are jumping architectures.

Intel has just been recycling the same architecture for a decade or so and since Ryzen hit the market, Intel had and still has their pants around their ankles and are fumbling to pull them up.

Just look at how that recent i9 was received lol

I'm not familiar with Intel vs Ryzen stuff. I just had three bad experiences with AMD personally so I never tried them again. XD

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I'm not familiar with Intel vs Ryzen stuff. I just had three bad experiences with AMD personally so I never tried them again. XD
I don't blame you.
The later FX chips were ok but only for multi-core processing. That was during a time where gaming still benefited from strong single core performance.
Earlier FX chips were... well... garbage.

If anyone is going AMD, go Ryzen. Not only can you get a $50 Athlon 3000g that, with some fenagling, can run modern games all by itself (It's an APU) but you can upgrade all the way to the newest Ryzen 9 on the same socket.
You don't have to worry about changing motherboards as much with AMD since they make sure they can keep a socket with as many architectures as possible.

You can fit a Zen, Zen +, and Zen 2 architecture chips in the same exact slot and that's cool.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I don't blame you.
The later FX chips were ok but only for multi-core processing. That was during a time where gaming still benefited from strong single core performance.
Earlier FX chips were... well... garbage.

If anyone is going AMD, go Ryzen. Not only can you get a $50 Athlon 3000g that, with some fenagling, can run modern games all by itself (It's an APU) but you can upgrade all the way to the newest Ryzen 9 on the same socket.
You don't have to worry about changing motherboards as much with AMD since they make sure they can keep a socket with as many architectures as possible.

You can fit a Zen, Zen +, and Zen 2 architecture chips in the same exact slot and that's cool.

Your tech knowledge is inspiring.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Your tech knowledge is inspiring.
I recently switched from Intel due to my disagreement with their business practices and I'm the sort of person who, when learning about something new, will try to learn as much as I possibly can before making a decision.

I might be a slow decision maker, but my choices almost always turn out to be the right one ;3

Seriously. If I make a snap decision on something, tell me no. It usually never turns out good lmao

oappo

Any of the older bioware games. Though if you're buying them through steam, I heard EA jacked up the price of everything. If you're into visual novels, I suggest Katawa Shoujo, The Pirate's Fate or The House in Fata Morgana.

The Talos Principle and Night in the Woods are good too. I also like Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. Hearthstone may be a decent timewaster for you, though I never really take it seriously.It's a game I play when I'm tired and don't want to think or focus too hard.

Last edited:

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I second Night in The Woods, it's a pretty good one that a lot of people can find meaning behind.

200Rads

aaaaaaaaaaa
heres some of my personal suggestions ^^

MMORPG Category
Old School RuneScape, Dark Orbit, WarFrame, EVE Online

FPS
The Doom Series, The Quake Series, CSGO, ARMA3, Insurgency, Team Fortress 2, The Halo Series

Survival
Minecraft, The Forest

RPG
The Elder Scrolls Series, Darkest Dungeon, FTL: Faster Than Light, The Fallout Series

RTS
Sins Of A Solar Empire: Rebellion, Halo Wars 1/2, Company of Heroes 2, Firmament Wars, OpenRA (Modern Free [and actually legal] Release of Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1

I've had quite some fun in Kingdom Come, even though the game is lacking some polish in certain areas it's fairly easy to dive into and forget how many hours that has passed. Brings something fresh and it doesn't feel like just any other game so it will get my warm recommendation if you're looking for some single player story/adventure type of thing.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Since you mentioned Skyrim and Fallout 4, have you tried STALKER: Call of Pripyat? I think it's similar genre, like kind of open world to walk around & explore, with your weapons ready cause you're gonna run into enemies a lot. Also do missions for NPCs, there's a main quest arc and so on. I'm obviously biased being a big fan, but the atmosphere of danger and mystery in this game is just great.

The game itself is quite old, but there are mods which make it look great again.

Here's a little collage I quickly made of some screenshots:

You can find the list of recommended mods here, it's the "Order of Installation" in the Description tab:
www.moddb.com: STCoP Weapon Pack 3.0.1 (Download + Translation) file - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Also it's easy to install Steam games to another drive and even move the existing ones, but the options for it are pretty well hidden. This article describes the process:
www.pcworld.com: How to change where Steam installs your PC games

I just don't understand the whole "Cheaper is better" if they aren't impulse buying a rig. If you're spending the time to save, then why not actually save to get something you'll REALLY treasure, over something that's just "good for the price"?

But again, I understand circumstances are circumstances such as those who just buy what works, or are on a budget and don't want to save up for eight months or something crazy, etc etc.

Not everyone is in the position to cough it up (this idiom suddenly got a lot more funny somehow...) for a perfect rig. Some concessions must be made then. For one, the PC I'm using for my 3D graphics is pretty old, and I believe that people in this field would call me a liar if they got to see the specs - because, like, if you believe the forums, you need a $5k rig to render a simple cube, right?... But I just let the results speak for themselves.

I just had three bad experiences with AMD personally so I never tried them again.
I welcome you to describe your experiences in my thread about this matter. I'm very interested to hear about this.
forums.furaffinity.net: Intel vs AMD: long-term reliability

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
I'd recommend finding an obscure old game and seeing if there are any speedrunning records on it.

Use your quarantine time to get stupidly good at it and pat yourself on the back for getting a world record.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Not everyone is in the position to cough it up

I agree, but I think you're missing my point. I didn't mean to suggest that they buy some nine thousand dollar machine just because. I moreso meant that if someone is being paid the average amount for their area, and they decide to spend say...two hundred or six hundred of that amount one month to buy a rig, it would be better to just save that amount each time until they get enough to buy something more readily capable of playing a larger portion of games, or at the very least save a bit extra on the side for upgrade parts so they can build that "perfect" rig themselves for cheaper.

I understand that things can change this, such as getting a PC as a gift, or getting a set amount of money as a one time thing from parents, or what have you. So I'm not including those more circumstantial related moments...just the times where a good, hard working individual with a "regular" job is trying to save a bit of money for a system. Basically, the saying "patience is a virtue" but in the Realm of PC shopping. :p

I welcome you to describe your experiences in my thread about this matter. I'm very interested to hear about this.

I would but I'm uncertain if I could properly explain the technical side of, "My _ just randomly stopped working after a month," or "My _ exploded after three months" or something along those lines. It happened but as for the why and a how? Hell if I know. It wasn't some obvious issue such as overheating or incompatibility or whatnot so it really was just a moment of, "Does AMD have this low of a quality?" and then I switched over to Intel since in spite of its higher price, it hadn't failed me on such a drastic level. YET. XD

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I'd recommend finding an obscure old game and seeing if there are any speedrunning records on it.

Use your quarantine time to get stupidly good at it and pat yourself on the back for getting a world record.

I'm having PTSD flashbacks of The Impossible Game now.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
I agree, but I think you're missing my point. I didn't mean to suggest that they buy some nine thousand dollar machine just because. I moreso meant that if someone is being paid the average amount for their area, and they decide to spend say...two hundred or six hundred of that amount one month to buy a rig, it would be better to just save that amount each time until they get enough to buy something more readily capable of playing a larger portion of games, or at the very least save a bit extra on the side for upgrade parts so they can build that "perfect" rig themselves for cheaper.

I understand that things can change this, such as getting a PC as a gift, or getting a set amount of money as a one time thing from parents, or what have you. So I'm not including those more circumstantial related moments...just the times where a good, hard working individual with a "regular" job is trying to save a bit of money for a system. Basically, the saying "patience is a virtue" but in the Realm of PC shopping. :p
Yeah, I know. I also know well the value of "going that extra mile" when getting electronic things of any sort. Except it's been too often that I could not go that extra mile. Where I'm from, all manners of computer things are absurdly expensive compared to incomes. I'm no stranger to saving for seven.f_____ng.months just to get a pretty basic PC with the main merit being that it wasn't a second-hand, used one. So when I (mis)perceive some claim as "you could have saved a bit more, you know", I can accidentally lose some temper.

I would but I'm uncertain if I could properly explain the technical side of, "My _ just randomly stopped working after a month," or "My _ exploded after three months" or something along those lines. It happened but as for the why and a how? Hell if I know. It wasn't some obvious issue such as overheating or incompatibility or whatnot so it really was just a moment of, "Does AMD have this low of a quality?" and then I switched over to Intel since in spite of its higher price, it hadn't failed me on such a drastic level. YET. XD
If you can only tell me years, when you got a thing vs. when it broke, and what general kind of device it was, it's already helpful. I had my own case of a motherboard for AMD frying itself to death, but it was more than a decade ago. And around 2013, I was advised explicitly against getting AMD, by a trusted person who was working in PC parts trade and assembly. But she's retired now and I lost my "insider contact" in this kind of things. So here, I'm trying to conduct my little research: have things changed, or is AMD still something for masochists who like to mess around with RMA? ;) Because reliability matters aside, the recent Ryzen line of CPUs decidedly offers more bang for the buck in the medium price range, and in a way which would bring great benefits for my graphics works.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Yeah, I know. I also know well the value of "going that extra mile" when getting electronic things of any sort. Except it's been too often that I could not go that extra mile. Where I'm from, all manners of computer things are absurdly expensive compared to incomes. I'm no stranger to saving for seven.f_____ng.months just to get a pretty basic PC with the main merit being that it wasn't a second-hand, used one. So when I (mis)perceive some claim as "you could have saved a bit more, you know", I can accidentally lose some temper.

If you can only tell me years, when you got a thing vs. when it broke, and what general kind of device it was, it's already helpful. I had my own case of a motherboard for AMD frying itself to death, but it was more than a decade ago. And around 2013, I was advised explicitly against getting AMD, by a trusted person who was working in PC parts trade and assembly. But she's retired now and I lost my "insider contact" in this kind of things. So here, I'm trying to conduct my little research: have things changed, or is AMD still something for masochists who like to mess around with RMA? ;) Because reliability matters aside, the recent Ryzen line of CPUs decidedly offers more bang for the buck in the medium price range, and in a way which would bring great benefits for my graphics works.

Yeah I understand your frustration to a degree. I think that exceptionally overpriced electronics in a particular country or area count as one of the aforementioned "circumstances" I'd hinted at, but suffice it to say, I get it.

Regarding the AMD, I'm uncertain of the model as I was younger, I only knew the brand and had forgotten the model after it broke - writing it off as cheap and useless in my teen brain. It was a Processor. I recieved it in 2014-2015 area, and it broke the same year I had recieved it, rather quickly. I didn't bother trying to replace it since I had been warned about the brand so I didn't want to waste more money on their products at that time.

Kinare

RAWR
I have a 1tb hard drive installed as well, however steam is installed on my SSD drive, it isn't liking me trying to install games on the HD... I have a bad feeling you can only put steam games on the drive that steam was installed on

Open Steam, go to the Steam option (top left, 1st option) -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders. There you can add a new one and viola.

---

Not to get too into the AMD topic, but I have had good luck with my new Ryzen 5 so far. Switched from an i7 920, which was 10 years old and dying. Friend convinced me that on my budget I'd be better off giving AMD a try because Intel is not as good as it once was, that I'd get a lot more power for my money. So far seems good. For graphics cards though, nVidia just has better driver support overall, which can make a big difference. Until that changes, the hardware component is only part of the issue. Last I read they're pretty on par in the hardware department, it's just driver support where nVidia still wins out.

Now onto the topic itself. x3 If you truly want things to get lost in, some survival sandbox games can definitely do the trick. They're meant to absorb your time with collection and maintenance tasks. Some people find them tedious to the point of disliking them, but to me they're calming and easy to get lost in. My favorites, and thus the ones I recommend, are:
Rimworld - single player unless you use the MP mod, lots of mods to make the game even more awesome.
Oxygen Not Included - single player only with mods, but not many.
Don't Starve - single player, but there is a multiplayer version called Don't Starve Together, both have a lot of mods.
The Long Dark - single player only.
Ark - single player or multiplayer, lots of mods.
7 Days to Die - single player or multiplayer, has mods.
Green Hell - single player only right now, co-op sometime soon(?).
Stardew Valley - single player or multiplayer, and again, another with lots of mods.
This War of Mine - single player only, probably the least demanding of all listed as far as tedium goes, play it more for the dark story.
Escape From Tarkov - multiplayer only, very difficult learning curve, but very much a game that can take over your life if you enjoy the loop of loot, shoot, scoot.

If there's a specific genre you want ideas for, toss that at me and I can probably come up with something. I have waaaay too many games for my own good, but since you specifically asked for time consuming, I thought survival/sandbox immediately.

F

FrostHeart

I'm pretty sure this is a Steam game... I really want it, and would reccomend it to anyone who likes survival games...
Stranded Deep

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Dark Souls, Mount and blade, Witcher, Yakuza series and almost every strategy game in existance.