• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Need Advice on A Good Response to a Requester

Wolvinof

So I'm in the middle of doing a multi-piece request for someone. However, they have a habit of changing their mind on things - something they acknowledged themselves - and they've already done it a few times, to the point where I was already halfway through one piece before they wanted something different and had to restart another from scratch. Now they've asked me to change the posing on the latest one after I'd already drawn out most of the line-work.
And now because of that, the previous changes and also the whole request and other IRL things delaying my own art a lot, I've gotten myself upset about it and don't want to basically redraw the lines again, let alone do the rest of the request afterward.
The problem is, I don't want to upset them either, and I can't think of any response to them that won't make me sound like a complete and selfish a**hole.
Anyone got any good advice on this?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
So I'm in the middle of doing a multi-piece request for someone. However, they have a habit of changing their mind on things - something they acknowledged themselves - and they've already done it a few times, to the point where I was already halfway through one piece before they wanted something different and had to restart another from scratch. Now they've asked me to change the posing on the latest one after I'd already drawn out most of the line-work.
And now because of that, the previous changes and also the whole request and other IRL things delaying my own art a lot, I've gotten myself upset about it and don't want to basically redraw the lines again, let alone do the rest of the request afterward.
The problem is, I don't want to upset them either, and I can't think of any response to them that won't make me sound like a complete and selfish a**hole.

Are they on Deviantart?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Yeah, and on FA. We've been discussing it on Discord though.

Next questions: Does it
A) Have to do with some obscure cartoon from the past in an obscure manner?
B) Does her have favorites of the same type of theme over and over in their gallery and/or favorites?

Wolvinof

Next questions: Does it
A) Have to do with some obscure cartoon from the past in an obscure manner?
B) Does her have favorites of the same type of theme over and over in their gallery and/or favorites?
A. No, it's Pokemon-related with a couple of common fetishes.
B. Yeah, there's a mix of things in their favs, but there is a bunch of similar stuff in there.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
A. No, it's Pokemon-related with a couple of common fetishes.
B. Yeah, there's a mix of things in their favs, but there is a bunch of similar stuff in there.

Ah, well then I think it maybe just one of those people I would either inform them that if they don't be patient then you will discontinue their request. These people are a dime a dozen on Deviantart, and if they're to get what they want they need to show some respect and let you finish it on your own time.

Wolvinof

Ah, well then I think it maybe just one of those people I would either inform them that if they don't be patient then you will discontinue their request. These people are a dime a dozen on Deviantart, and if they're to get what they want they need to show some respect and let you finish it on your own time.
That's some very good advice. However, this is less about them being impatient, and more about them changing what they want repeatedly and at times when I'm already some way into a piece.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
That's some very good advice. However, this is less about them being impatient, and more about them changing what they want repeatedly and at times when I'm already some way into a piece.

Hmm, is it that you feel they just want too much, or do you feel they just don't seem to really "know" what they want?

Wolvinof

Well, it's more of the second one, and also my own desire to get their request finished and out of the way.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Well, it's more of the second one, and also my own desire to get their request finished and out of the way.

I'd say finish it, if they complain tell them they were not explicit in what they're asking for. You may lose them as a watcher, but many requesters are like this.

Wolvinof

I'd say finish it, if they complain tell them they were not explicit in what they're asking for. You may lose them as a watcher, but many requesters are like this.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing, just continuing and finishing it as it is, without taking any more changes.

My suggestion is to politely let them know the amount of the time you're spending on work that's continuously being discarded is becoming problematic (especially if the commissioner has okay'd any WIP) and you're not willing to start over again.

Let them decide if they want to accept a finished version of what you have done so far or take a refund.

Wolvinof

My suggestion is to politely let them know the amount of the time you're spending on work that's continuously being discarded is becoming problematic (especially if the commissioner has okay'd any WIP) and you're not willing to start over again.

Let them decide if they want to accept a finished version of what you have done so far or take a refund.
That's good advice, thanks. Also, that's exactly it, they have been approving of every WIP, and giving any simple suggestions there and then, only to come back later and want a bigger, redo-a-lot change.
And that's what I intend to do now, finish it without any more changes.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
You will always encounter people like this. It's best to have rules set into place. An example would be "Small edits only" or "I only do 3 sketches and if you're still not satisfied/set on an idea, you refund a % of their money back.

If you sketch out an idea and the approve of it, typically, they shouldn't be asking you to redraw things unless they're willing to pay for it.
Never be afraid to stand up for yourself, and even if they get mad, your health is worth more than their selfishness!

Wolvinof

You will always encounter people like this. It's best to have rules set into place. An example would be "Small edits only" or "I only do 3 sketches and if you're still not satisfied/set on an idea, you refund a % of their money back.

If you sketch out an idea and the approve of it, typically, they shouldn't be asking you to redraw things unless they're willing to pay for it.
Never be afraid to stand up for yourself, and even if they get mad, your health is worth more than their selfishness!
Thanks, that's all really good advice. I'll keep the rules thing in mind for the next time I open requests.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
One surprising misconception I tend to see from time to time is that people think requests can be taken lightly than commissions. Well, hell no!

I don't see any way we can look lightly on requests, why, because it isn't charged thus the artist won't be burdened to take responsibilities? If we are to seek difference, the request, on the other hand, well.. The artist gets nothing in return--which means the requesters have no reasons or rights to make the artists do what's supposed to be one set of progress over and over because of their quicksilver mind.

Okay I admit that at least some requesters got the influence or abilities to help advertise the artist for the requests but... Is it really worth it? Plus, all I've got in my artist life tells me otherwise. (That's just me)

Anyways, dear Wolvinof... You owe them nothing. (As long as what you informed are everything)
See for yourself whether all these hard works really help or not. Ow<☆

Ratt Carry

>wasting time doing requests

If they're being obtuse about it, just drop it. You are absolutely doing yourself a disservice doing requests to begin with.
Multi part request? Please...

I can't think of any response to them that won't make me sound like a complete and selfish a**hole.

You're giving someone multiple pictures and bending over backwards to please them. Selfishness has been out of this equation. Just give an ultimatum and tell them to cut the indecisiveness or you're dropping the "deal". Simple.

quoting_mungo

That's good advice, thanks. Also, that's exactly it, they have been approving of every WIP, and giving any simple suggestions there and then, only to come back later and want a bigger, redo-a-lot change.
And that's what I intend to do now, finish it without any more changes.
If they approved the WIP, and you made the small changes they wanted then, they had their chance. If they want a redraw after that, they can pay you for either it or the work you did so far on the piece they now want discarded.

Yes, even if it originally is a free request. Even paid commissioners shouldn’t be allowed to reneg on their approval like that, and most artists won’t do major changes past the sketch stage for free.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
These sound like unreasonable demands, you're making both of you worse by granting them

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
If there's one thing I've learned, is as soon as revisions cost money, "THIS CHANGE MUST BE MADE OR THE WORLD ENDS" suddenly becomes "it's fine." The resolution to this is simple, "any further revisions will cost money as you have exceeded what's reasonable for a request." Basically, what everyone else has said.

If he tells you to piss off, what do you lose? $0? I mean, why are you worried about coming off as the selfish asshole? He's literally demanding you change something you're doing as a favor. The asshole isn't you for pushing back.