• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Need help coloring drawing

Jino

I drew this picture and when I tried coloring it I couldn't figure out how to make it look good, I feel like the main color would look better as the secondary color and I also feel like it's just too plain, any ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

• Jino.png
    Jino.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 94
When you say secondary color, do you mean the color in the ears? Or do you want to make their fur multi-colored? I think adding more colors, whether giving the fur some pattern (maybe look up some photos for reference on how wolves' faces are colored), or just adding some shadows (again, reference might be useful, but at least adding a shadow under the chin is pretty easy), would be a good way to make it look a little less plain. I hope this helps! If you want more concrete tips, just let me know! ^^

Jino

Thank you for responding so quickly! To answer your question, Yes, I want to make his fur multi-colored but not like super different colors, just a slightly different shade of that color but I can't figure out what shade of it would work well with that color, or better yet, what would work better as the most prominent color and what colors would go with that, I also need help on figuring out where to put the other color, I was thinking about around the nose or cheek are, but idk

Thank you for responding so quickly! To answer your question, Yes, I want to make his fur multi-colored but not like super different colors, just a slightly different shade of that color but I can't figure out what shade of it would work well with that color, or better yet, what would work better as the most prominent color and what colors would go with that, I also need help on figuring out where to put the other color, I was thinking about around the nose or cheek are, but idk
Ok sorry if this gets a little long, but I hope this is helpful.

I think it might be useful to look up color theory, if you aren't familiar with it (basically just how colors are related to each other, names of various color schemes, etc). This might be a good starting point. Something else that might be good is looking at art or designs you like and just using the color picker tool to pick out the main colors and make palettes out of them (I have a few I made myself below). This might seem really basic, but it can be a good way to find out what you like, what works well together, etc. Then you can think, oh I want to make a color scheme kind of like this one, or even base the palette off of another image (when I say image, it's not necessarily just copying someone else's design; you can make color palettes from paintings, photographs, movie screenshots, anything). Also, I think if you aren't sure yet what you want the main color to be, you might want to think about making it a less saturated color (you don't have to of course, but it might be good to think about). Bright colors can be great, but when it comes to placing them next to other colors, it can be a little tricky. It's very easy for them to clash, or look out of place together.

I also included some sample ideas for how to choose a different color, and of where to put the markings, but of course these are just ideas. I think the main thing is to just play with it and see what you like, and above all, to have fun! I hope all this was helpful, n that you can come up with something you like! ^^

Attachments

• colorswatches.png
    colorswatches.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Jinoedit.png
    Jinoedit.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Jino2.png
    Jino2.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 83
  • alexandrejacob.png
    alexandrejacob.png
    3 KB · Views: 71
  • amnsdbmabnxzm.png
    amnsdbmabnxzm.png
    3 KB · Views: 74
  • lawrenharris3.png
    lawrenharris3.png
    3 KB · Views: 75

Jino

Ok sorry if this gets a little long, but I hope this is helpful.

I think it might be useful to look up color theory, if you aren't familiar with it (basically just how colors are related to each other, names of various color schemes, etc). This might be a good starting point. Something else that might be good is looking at art or designs you like and just using the color picker tool to pick out the main colors and make palettes out of them (I have a few I made myself below). This might seem really basic, but it can be a good way to find out what you like, what works well together, etc. Then you can think, oh I want to make a color scheme kind of like this one, or even base the palette off of another image (when I say image, it's not necessarily just copying someone else's design; you can make color palettes from paintings, photographs, movie screenshots, anything). Also, I think if you aren't sure yet what you want the main color to be, you might want to think about making it a less saturated color (you don't have to of course, but it might be good to think about). Bright colors can be great, but when it comes to placing them next to other colors, it can be a little tricky. It's very easy for them to clash, or look out of place together.

I also included some sample ideas for how to choose a different color, and of where to put the markings, but of course these are just ideas. I think the main thing is to just play with it and see what you like, and above all, to have fun! I hope all this was helpful, n that you can come up with something you like! ^^
This is exactly what I needed!! Thank you soo much for all the help!!