• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Need help with Fur & Size OuO

Y

YokoHellsing

So I'm looking for some fur... but I don't know what type to get that is soft and furry...not to short...
Was looking at this fur
Minky Shaggy
Luxury Shag
Mongolian
Arctic

Since I am like... 5'2 (I'm stuck at this size XD )
Does that mean I need about 3yard of fur? or...5...This is going to be a full body suit...
O.O

Thank you for anyone that can help >-<

Last edited by a moderator:

Terror-Run

personally I love the luxury shag as it's really soft and thick - and so when you shave it it'll still be solid and not show the backing. Not sure but I think i heard something about Mongolian being bad (matted too much/too thin) not sure and it's heresay, but I'm sticking with my luxury shag. Minky is much shorter, and the last type (arctic) I haven't really heard much about from a suit making view.

amount; On my bodysuit (5'6) I used 4,5 yards for a bodysuit including hands, so I think you can manage with 5yards of fur to include the head, feet and tail. if you plan carefully and use every piece you will probably need even less, but there is always good with room for errors. (I've managed to cut out a whole piece of my bodysuit in the wrong direction before OTL... glad I got 8yards)

Last edited:
Y

YokoHellsing

glad I got 8yards)

Thank you for the help >.< I'm just kinda scared since this is my first fursuit, and seeing all the failed horrific Fursuits out there scares me more XD
But of course it's nice to make Mistakes so you can fix them X_x

1. Minky Shaggy - Terrible, don't use this. This is like...what they use on those 'fuzzy bathrobes'.
2. Luxury Shag - Good. Your standard "DF" / shag fur. This is what most solid color fursuits are made of.
3. Mongolian - Poor. It's longer than the standard shag, but it has a tendency to clump and look dirty/matted really quickly. But decent for small accents of specific colors where you need a longer pile (hair tufts, cheek fluff, etc.). Monkey/Gorilla Shag and Fox furs are better alternatives.
4. Arctic - Great fur. Very plush, has a little bit of a shine and guardhairs for a little more realistic look, but softer than your 'MM Fox' furs. Downside is it only comes in like 3-4 colors.

If this is your first time building a suit, I would err on the side of caution and buy as many yards as you're comfortable with spending. 3yds would be a good minimum, but if you mess up when patterning, you will need more than that. If you're left with a lot at the end, you can always re-sell it to someone else.

So I'm looking for some fur... but I don't know what type to get that is soft and furry...not to short...
Was looking at this fur
Minky Shaggy
Luxury Shag
Mongolian
Arctic

Since I am like... 5'2 (I'm stuck at this size XD )
Does that mean I need about 3yard of fur? or...5...This is going to be a full body suit...
O.O

Thank you for anyone that can help >-<

Y

YokoHellsing

1. Minky Shaggy - Terrible, don't use this. This is like...what they use on those 'fuzzy bathrobes'.
2. Luxury Shag - Good. Your standard "DF" / shag fur. This is what most solid color fursuits are made of.
3. Mongolian - Poor. It's longer than the standard shag, but it has a tendency to clump and look dirty/matted really quickly. But decent for small accents of specific colors where you need a longer pile (hair tufts, cheek fluff, etc.). Monkey/Gorilla Shag and Fox furs are better alternatives.
4. Arctic - Great fur. Very plush, has a little bit of a shine and guardhairs for a little more realistic look, but softer than your 'MM Fox' furs. Downside is it only comes in like 3-4 colors.

If this is your first time building a suit, I would err on the side of caution and buy as many yards as you're comfortable with spending. 3yds would be a good minimum, but if you mess up when patterning, you will need more than that. If you're left with a lot at the end, you can always re-sell it to someone else.

O.O Wow thank you for your help, it's awesome d>.< I guess I'll just get 4-ish yards then XD

thank you.

Phoenixwildfire

Resident pervy rainbow unicorn
minky shag is wonderfully soft and has an okay thickness but it SHEDS EVERYWHERE. Like... everywhere. All the time. It also isn't very durable, and tends to come off the backing pretty easily with rough use.

Luxury shag is the go-to for all suiting fur usually, though Distinctive Fabrics has been having a tendency to... have less quality fur lately. It seems like they're changing the way they do things. I've gotten a light pink from them in the past and it was wonderfully plush and great... and I got one a month ago... and it was TERRIBLE. It's much thinner, and while yes it's softer if you shave the fur for a head or detailing it's awful... I was so upset. They don't even have any of the old kind anymore.

Mongolian is wonderful for super long fur- it's literally 3" long. If you want an idea of how long that is, measure your thumb... and then add an inch. It's LONG. It also usually comes somewhat 'matted', as seen in the pictures- but if you comb it out gently it becomes wonderfully plush (but a bit staticy lol)

The arctic honestly looks the same as the luxury shag, just with a fancy name lol

Distinctive Fabrics also has a new style of fur called 'Monkey' that's even longer than the mongolian- it only comes in a few colors, though. If you're looking for a really long fur to use in a tummy/tail then I'd go with mongolian or monkey. If you want a uniform look to it, go with the luxury shag :)

Hope that helps!

Y

YokoHellsing

minky shag is wonderfully soft and has an okay thickness but it SHEDS EVERYWHERE. Like... everywhere. All the time. It also isn't very durable, and tends to come off the backing pretty easily with rough use.

Luxury shag is the go-to for all suiting fur usually, though Distinctive Fabrics has been having a tendency to... have less quality fur lately. It seems like they're changing the way they do things. I've gotten a light pink from them in the past and it was wonderfully plush and great... and I got one a month ago... and it was TERRIBLE. It's much thinner, and while yes it's softer if you shave the fur for a head or detailing it's awful... I was so upset. They don't even have any of the old kind anymore.

Mongolian is wonderful for super long fur- it's literally 3" long. If you want an idea of how long that is, measure your thumb... and then add an inch. It's LONG. It also usually comes somewhat 'matted', as seen in the pictures- but if you comb it out gently it becomes wonderfully plush (but a bit staticy lol)

The arctic honestly looks the same as the luxury shag, just with a fancy name lol

Distinctive Fabrics also has a new style of fur called 'Monkey' that's even longer than the mongolian- it only comes in a few colors, though. If you're looking for a really long fur to use in a tummy/tail then I'd go with mongolian or monkey. If you want a uniform look to it, go with the luxury shag :)

Hope that helps!

Yes this helped very much thank you >w< I need as much help I wanna make sure this fursuit will be a keeper to show off meh skilllzzzzzz!! xD

Nordo Huskamute

I need coffee
Mongolian is wavy and kinda thin though it does look a little better when brushed out, its still not great. The arctic fox sold by Fabric.com is a step up from the DF shag, it is fuller, thicker and longer with a more realistic feel, less shiny and hold airbrushing very well. Its roughly equivalent to Monterey Mills Fox, but a little softer.

Mongolian has to be brushed out when you get it because as others said it's wavy and matted. Then it looks nice, but ... mats right back up again when touched at all and looks like a huge mess. Has to be brushed constantly.