• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Need some tech support

L.Rey

Luke, the lone wanderer
Would like to personally walk through this with someone, but I guess I'll try to make a brief summary just to give you folks an idea of what's going on.

So until recently, my Windows 8 pc has been working fine. Been serving me well for a few years now, besides a couple minor bumps along the way. However, it wasn't until I got a new controller for my games that a more troubling problem came about. I plugged it into a usb port, it presumably tried to install its respective driver, and that's when things took a turn. My rig starts giving me notifications of how the device isn't recognized...which also messed up my NIC in the process. Not entirely sure if it did, but my NIC was fine and gave me wireless access to the internet before all this. Now: it turns on and off at random, and I keep hearing the "disconnect and reconnect" sound sometimes too. Ironically, the controller works after all this. I can play games for the most part too, as long as they aren't too dependent on the internet. On top of it all, I was trying to install a big game on Steam at the same time. I kinda doubt it's the culprit though. So to reiterate: my NIC turns on and off, and I keep hearing "that sound". That's what I'm dealing with. I've already tried to do this myself for about the past two days, but no luck so far. Don't personally have too many other options, so that's why I'm reaching out here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Sounds a bit odd to me since the network card goes over another interface but then again I haven't used such cards much. I assume you already tried uninstalling the NIC drivers off the computer, re-seated it and installed the drivers again?

L.Rey

Luke, the lone wanderer
Sounds a bit odd to me since the network card goes over another interface but then again I haven't used such cards much. I assume you already tried uninstalling the NIC drivers off the computer, re-seated it and installed the drivers again?
I did a little bit of that, definitely didn't try reseating. Kinda paranoid to do it, only wanna if I have to...which I might. I've done reseating before, but "try not to mess with it too much". I'm a bit of a klutz, mostly an anxious overthinker. It's definitely an option though, thanks. ^^

Is the controller USB 3.0 and is it plugged in near the wireless NIC's antenna?

USB 3.0 circuitry does emit some noise that can interfere with a 2.4 GHz wi-fi signal. I doubt it's enough to knock you off the network unless you signal strength was already poor.

I suggest downloading a free wifi analyzer like Acrylic and if you'd like to send a screen shot, we can look at competing networks, sources of interference, and compare your signal strength with the controller connected and disconnected.

If the NIC and controller are competing for resources, I suggest running Windows Update to make sure you have the latest drivers.

L.Rey

Luke, the lone wanderer
Huh, apparently a brief look at the logged transaction won't suffice for the information I seek. I'm gonna need to look into this more than I thought. I'll say this though: it SHOULDN'T be too close to the NIC. Might just take you up on your offer, I'll let you know by...perhaps this weekend. At least it hasn't gotten worse, the first day that it happened was when it was at its worst. Don't think it ever connected to the internet, now at least it does sometimes. Thanks again though, have a good one. =)

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
If the NIC is using one of the same interrupts as the USB is, or they happen to share the same power bus and one overdrives the other, that would do it too. Also I know it's obvious, but have you made sure the controller wire is not broken? If so, moving it around will cause random shorts/disconnections as well.

L.Rey

Luke, the lone wanderer
If the NIC is using one of the same interrupts as the USB is, or they happen to share the same power bus and one overdrives the other, that would do it too. Also I know it's obvious, but have you made sure the controller wire is not broken? If so, moving it around will cause random shorts/disconnections as well.
Funny, that was actually an ongoing issue with my previous controller...which is why I had it replaced. However, even that one didn't give me this problem I'm having. The new controller works just fine, so it really boils down the whole driver incident. Also: I failed to mention the fact that it stopped doing the whole "device not recognized" noise the day after this all started. Now it's just my own rig's wireless internet connection going off and on. Idk how or why this all started happening, but it looks like I've got some work to do on this thing. I'm keeping tabs on all your feedback though, so thanks guys! =)