• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Need to fix the memory function of browsing/searching.

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
On other art sites when a person clicks on a thumbnail and then chooses to go back to the results list of their search, the system "remembers" what search has been requested instantly and takes you back to the list.

When going on to Fur Affinity, I click on an art thumbnail, but when selecting the back button Instead of being taken to the search results or browse results, I get a page saying "Webpage Has Expired." I need to then refresh the page to go back to the results. The problem is it happens every time I click on a thumbnail and then want to go back to the results.

Needless to say this is very annoying. The server needs to have some type of function that remembers the page rather than having to refresh it every time. My suggestion is to have this added so as to alieviate this situation.

Thank you.

L

LizardKing

You could always open the art in a new tab :V

(Also I don't get that on Firefox, it goes back to the search/browse page just fine.)

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
Yeah it must be an Explorer thing. Still there should be a fix for it.

The new tab function will work in the mean time.

quoting_mungo

It happens because FA's search and pagination are POST-based, essentially. Firefox caches the page (which can cause other issues), which is why it doesn't have those issues.

Xenke

Safari always asks me if I'd like to resubmit the form.

I anticipate it, hit enter out of reflex, and it's like there wasn't even a problem in the first place.

Firehazard

I can fix it!
Chrome does the same thing. Firefox I think is the only exception now. I've posted about this before.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Stop using IE.

Folgrimeo

I guess this explains why you can't enter a page to skip to. But look at it, the page number is in a little white box, it looks tempting enough that someone would try putting another number in there and hit enter but they can't.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Stop not reading the whole thread before responding. It's already been stated that three out of four browsers have this. It's due to straight-up poor programming.

I did read the thread. My advice still applies.

Stratelier

I guess this explains why you can't enter a page to skip to. But look at it, the page number is in a little white box, it looks tempting enough that someone would try putting another number in there and hit enter but they can't.

The page number gets embedded into the URL (i.e. sent via GET), but the rest of the form data is sent via POST. So this means you can either skip to an arbitrary page number or filter your Browse results, but not both at the same time. (Well, not without a little DOM hacking.)

Konda

Open your pictures in new windows (or tabs), problem solved.

Though here's an alternative suggestion, what if you could view artwork in your inbox without having to navigation the inbox page at all. That way you wouldn't have to open new windows and you wouldn't have to go back and forth between submission pages and the inbox page. Such as a button below each submission that instantly takes you to the next submission in your inbox.

Trying to brainstorm ideas for how this could work. Because one version of this idea would be that when you view a submission it is automatically removed from your inbox. I personally like this idea. (you could always fave an image as an alternative to leaving an already-viewed image in your inbox) But I'm trying to brainstorm an another way, in case people oppose the idea of their notifications removing themselves automatically. So how about this, what if when you view a submission page, there will be a checkbox near the "next in inbox" button. The checkbox will say "check this and click 'next in inbox' to remove this image from your notifications." The reason this idea is cool is because it only requires 1 extra click and doesn't require reloading the same page. (as is the case when you fave/unfave a submission)

Firehazard

I can fix it!
Wait, does the inbox even have this issue? I've never let mine get full enough to notice.