• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Need to Get a New Tablet (Found one! Thread Closed!)

Kordyne

My little Bamboo tablet is about to give up the ghost and I'd like to get a new one, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good tablet? Not really looking for one of the display types, simply because I don't feel the need for that kind
:P

Thoughts, anyone?

EDIT 8/7/21: The programs I use the most for my artwork are Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai ver 1, with the bulk of the work being done in Sai.

Last edited:

Hound-of-chulainn

I think it depends on what you're looking for. I used to use a lot of Wacom tablets(sapphire, intuos, intuos4), but I needed one with a screen, so I ended up getting an Artisul, their 13" tablet has the same drawing space as my 20" Intuos, but without the massive bezel making it impossible to lug around without a hiking bag or laptop bag bordering on suitcase size. Wacom is still an industry standard brand for professionals but for the regular artist. We've got a lot of different companies giving us a bunch of options for screen size and pen types these days and we don't need to pay a small fortune anymore either. I've heard artists say good things about Huion and XP-Pen tablets, but there are some youtubers that go in detail about specific models if anything catches your eye.

RuffTumbling

I own one of the newer Huion tablets that was recommended by an artist on youtube. I would suggest one of the more modern Wacom's but those are scary expensive. If you are looking for something cheap try price comparisons from Ebay, Amazon and the Huion website.

LameFox

Do you use tilt much in your brushes?

If not, I'd go with huion. They do still have tilt in the newest versions, but it's not very smooth compared to wacom, while in other respects their tablets work just fine and don't cost much. Which means you can get bigger ones, that let you make smoother motions. A small tablet mapped to a bigger screen tends to amplify everything you do, and you'll probably find a big one feels slow at first coming from a bamboo, but I much prefer it personally.

Kordyne

The programs I use the most are Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai ver 1, and I do the bulk of my work in Sai. I recently purchased an XP-Pen Deco 3 but it's not communicating with Sai very well. So far I've had to reinstall the driver quite a few times every time I switch on the computer to do my work in Sai, and when I did that not long ago my computer restarted itself for whatever reason!
I'm considering returning the XP-Pen, I don't want to have to go through this rigmarole every time I go to do my work. Pretty disappointing as the product description stated that it would work with Sai :( It works alright with Photoshop, though.

Hound-of-chulainn

The programs I use the most are Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai ver 1, and I do the bulk of my work in Sai. I recently purchased an XP-Pen Deco 3 but it's not communicating with Sai very well. So far I've had to reinstall the driver quite a few times every time I switch on the computer to do my work in Sai, and when I did that not long ago my computer restarted itself for whatever reason!
I'm considering returning the XP-Pen, I don't want to have to go through this rigmarole every time I go to do my work. Pretty disappointing as the product description stated that it would work with Sai :( It works alright with Photoshop, though.
Yeah, the downside of tablets is that it's really hard to troubleshoot certain issues when there's so many tablets, hardware configurations, operating systems and software it's being used on.
I tried googling to see if there was anything I could come up with, but if it's a pen issue in Sai, they had this page for it.

That's pretty much the only reason I haven't upgraded my artisul to one with a more colour accurate display, finding peripherals that work on linux is a bit of a pain. I had to write a script that detects my tablet's monitor id and tells my tablet to draw on only that screen whenever I restart my computer or unplug it. I'm counting myself lucky that most of my tablet's features work for my pixel art programs or drawing in Krita. ^_^"

LameFox

Keep in mind SAI is getting on in years, I believe its last release was like half a decade ago. I run into a lot of people having issues with it with new drivers/hardware, sometimes even after following all the advice they can find about it online.

I think the v2 beta is still actively developed, though. Maybe it'd have more luck with modern gear.

Kordyne

Yeah, the downside of tablets is that it's really hard to troubleshoot certain issues when there's so many tablets, hardware configurations, operating systems and software it's being used on.
I tried googling to see if there was anything I could come up with, but if it's a pen issue in Sai, they had this page for it.

That's pretty much the only reason I haven't upgraded my artisul to one with a more colour accurate display, finding peripherals that work on linux is a bit of a pain. I had to write a script that detects my tablet's monitor id and tells my tablet to draw on only that screen whenever I restart my computer or unplug it. I'm counting myself lucky that most of my tablet's features work for my pixel art programs or drawing in Krita. ^_^"

Thank you, but I've already tried that method a few times and have gotten nowhere with it :( I felt like screaming everytime I looked for a solution and they all pointed towards that!
I'll be returning the Deco 3 today, I'm not putting up with a tablet that hinders my workflow instead of improving it. The next problem is trying to find another tablet that will actually work with Sai :( I'm reluctant to try updating to V2 of Sai because I'm currently using it for a big commission, and I'd hate for the file to become corrupted or whatever.

sushy

Gundam Meister
Personally I like Wacom tablets the most. I am afraid I'll have to change tablets in a few years too! (hate the hassle of reinstalling everything). Currently I use the Wacom Intuos 5 M, which I find a pretty good tablet if you turn off the touch function.

Hound-of-chulainn

Thank you, but I've already tried that method a few times and have gotten nowhere with it :( I felt like screaming everytime I looked for a solution and they all pointed towards that!
I'll be returning the Deco 3 today, I'm not putting up with a tablet that hinders my workflow instead of improving it. The next problem is trying to find another tablet that will actually work with Sai :( I'm reluctant to try updating to V2 of Sai because I'm currently using it for a big commission, and I'd hate for the file to become corrupted or whatever.
Oh jeez, always backup your backups when you can, I once had a 3d model with corrupted geometry in college and had 36 seperate autosave files that wouldn't load because of it. Thank goodness I set my autosave limit to 99, or I would've had to redo the assignment from scratch. -_-"

Hopefully you'll find a tablet that works good with it. I don't use Sai so sorry I could't be of more help there.