• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Netbooks?

Toaster

My laptop was smashed, so any one know of a "well-priced" netbook or laptop? Needs to run ubuntu at an ok speed etc.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
i have a lenovo ideapad s10e and im very happy with it.
heres a pic: http://www.adammaguire.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ideapad.jpg
i can totally recommend it^^
its not as stylish as other netbooks but its sturdy and reliable.
im running windows 7 on it so ubunto shouldnt be an issue.
the hardware is the same as in other netbooks so you shouldnt have any driver issues, too.

Kivaari

Meow.
I got my Asus Eee 900a for $200, and I have seen them for even cheaper online if you are ok with a refurbished one. With the money you save, you can get a bigger SSD.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Any of the NetBooks can run Ubuntu (or similar Linux's) quite well. Most of the current ones are based on the n270 Atom CPU, older ones used n230s or a special low-power Celeron. I would suggest trying to get your hands on one with the n270 - the extra bit of power is handy, but do bear in mind that they are a small fraction as powerful as normal CPUs.

Going for the refurb's is a good idea if you can get them from a reputable place. Bigger SSDs are good, and there's nothing wrong with a normal hard drive either. If possible, try to get one with 2g of RAM.