• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Netflix 'Sexy Beasts': A furry dating show?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I've been seeing a lot of talk about this new show, and wanted to see what everyfur thought about it...to me...it looks pretty much like uncanny valley :p

Might be good for a few laughs, but sheesh...could use better/cuter costuming.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I agree, most are uncanny. The panda one is decent, but still not the best. They did really go for the beast aspect, but sexy? Eughghgnnnnn.... no

What is uncanny is how it forms over the human facial structure with the 'beast' and looks worse than the sum of it's parts.

Though I might watch if the show did fursuits instead 8P

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Holy shit, that is some terrifying imagery.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I agree, most are uncanny. The panda one is decent, but still not the best. They did really go for the beast aspect, but sexy? Eughghgnnnnn.... no

What is uncanny is how it forms over the human facial structure with the 'beast' and looks worse than the sum of it's parts.

Though I might watch if the show did fursuits instead 8P

Watch the show's behind the scenes and interviews and you'll quickly see "sexy" or even moderately attractive isn't a part of their plan on purpose.

They WANT the masks to look "weird and unsettling", so the personality shows through. They'd use a paper bag with graffiti if it wasn't so awkward. In essence, they are perpetuating the idea that "furry=freak", so didn't even try to make them appealing in any way.

In the masked singer, the costumes are supposed to look elabourate and theatrical if anything, but here? Cover the face and see if anyone's uncomfortable.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Uncanny, yes, but--credit where credit is due--the prosthetics are very well done!

I always wonder how people tolerate makeup and other crap on their face, though. I imagine I'd find it hot and distracting, and it'd probably detract from the quality of my date.

I'd also seriously question the notion that these prosthetics radically disguise people's physical attributes, because things like physical build, overall face shape, and race can still be easily inferred. The contestants at least know that they aren't dating a FATTY OH NO or someone with a physical disability.

Anywho, I reckon normies definitely aren't allowed to mock furries if they dig the Masked Singer or this show. :D

MatchaDog

Avid matcha consumer
Honestly when I saw it, it reminded me of dnd creatures. It's so weirdly realistic. The most strange portion of the trailer was definitely the clip of them attempting to kiss through all that makeup. However I might just watch it out of curiosity - it's so strange that I'm a little intrigued.

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
I'd say this should have been good with fursuits (Maybe even Mascot-eske costumes) then go to a headless lounge for the reveal at the end of the episode or series (or off camera)

Not into dating shows though but seeing the trailer to this gives me all of the creeps.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Last edited:

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Gonna skip this one too.

Kumali

Lupine-American
They need to have Extreme Turbo Smash provide the soundtrack.

(What, you've never heard of Extreme Turbo Smash? What the hell is the matter with you?)

Fcomega121

Friendly Maned Wolf + Phoenix
I've seen the trailer and I wish I could unsee that fucking shit. That dolphin lady is going to give me nightmares for the rest of my fucking life.
So uncanny and terrorific....

I don't even need to watch the video >~<

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I mean, I would presume furries would date just like anyone else in a fandom and share common interests, do we really need a dating show for this sort of thing?

The_biscuits_532

Sneaky rainforest kitty
I mean, I would presume furries would date just like anyone else in a fandom and share common interests, do we really need a dating show for this sort of thing?
From what I've gathered it's a show about normies putting massive amounts of prosthetics on so they all look weird af, meaning looks are bypassed when it comes to choosing partners.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
From what I've gathered it's a show about normies putting massive amounts of prosthetics on so they all look weird af, meaning looks are bypassed when it comes to choosing partners.

Huh, honestly if my girlfriend wasn't a Sonic fan I'd just keep it to myself, if she is well then I could make her a character or something. I feel like furries need to go more mainstream and not try to get special shows like this. Then again, I'm pretty sure these are not actual furries.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
While these are technically anthropomorphized animals, they aren't furry. They aren't distinctly animals in an anthro form, they human/animal combination.

Pomorek

Hyena-Addicted Antelope
For me it's plain to see that these masks (well, vast majority of them) aren't really meant to be cutesy but rather weird on purpose, so criticizing them for being uncanny is mistargeted: they're supposed to be uncanny.

Overall, with my love for all things bizarre, this could have been an interesting show to watch, if I was into watching TV to begin with (but I'm not).