• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Netflix 'Sexy Beasts': A furry dating show?

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
i wouldn't necessarily describe it as furry either just because animal masks are involved
True. I think that the furry community is "appropriating" this show too much, while it is only tangentially related, if at all.

But about the whole concept, this can actually work. For a very long time, before we dared to even have a live chat, me and the girl who would eventually marry me saw each other as just two yeen avatars on the internet. But already from the start I could tell that our personalities are clicking together very well.

CaitlinSnowLeopard

The costumes themselves are uncanny, and deliberately so, but am I the only one who thought it was cute when the scarecrow guy told the dolphin lady that he liked her fin? Kind of sweet of him to compliment her appearance even if it isn't how she "actually" looks. I'll probably still be skipping this show, but the sentiment and idea behind it is at least interesting.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー

Ratt Carry

the masks are supposed to look weird. it's the entire purpose of the show. i wouldn't necessarily describe it as furry either just because animal masks are involved. but maybe that's just me.
I'm glad someone said it. Not everything with a semblance of an animal means it's directly catering to a niche fandom no one in this business gives a fuck about.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
The costumes themselves are uncanny, and deliberately so, but am I the only one who thought it was cute when the scarecrow guy told the dolphin lady that he liked her fin? Kind of sweet of him to compliment her appearance even if it isn't how she "actually" looks. I'll probably still be skipping this show, but the sentiment and idea behind it is at least interesting.

I thought that was cute, too. From a psych standpoint, I wonder how long it would take for the people to integrate aspects of their costume into their self-schema, and if the contestants basically see each other as their alter egos.

Also, I chortled at the beaver saying "ass first, personality second." A misogynistic chud beaver just strikes me as funny somehow. I pictured him slapping his tail to catcall.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Guess the recent Cats movie failed to give humanity a lesson, did it? :3
Box office: Loss of 70 million.

Some ideas are better stuck in your deluded head. :p

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I hate it and I've only seen 4 seconds of the trailer you linked. It's far too...uncanny, as you said.
I can't look at it, it's almost painful.

Guess the recent Cats movie failed to give humanity a lesson, did it? :3

This is the perfect description of it.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I find this very counter-productive. Isn't the goal of furries to prove their legitimacy and to try to get people to accept them? This is just painting a big target on the fandom. I mean, the Sonic fandom used to be like this but there's a lot of us who just want to enjoy our fandom and not be so crazy.

Ratt Carry

So furries like the stigma?
The fact that they bring it onto themselves so often might affirm that. But that's not at all what I was implying.

First of all, this...
I'm glad someone said it. Not everything with a semblance of an animal means it's directly catering to a niche fandom no one in this business gives a fuck about.
If any of you in here think for a second that a single producer of this show had furries in their mind in any capacity, you're full of shit. None of the 40 year old moms watching this is going to go to KF or 4Chan or Lulz or whatever site furries have nightmares about to rip on the fandom because someone on this show wore an uncanny dolphin mask.

But my main point is that furries don't need to prove any sort of "legitimacy", whatever the fuck that even entails. There's no "goal" to any nerd hobby other than having fun with likeminded people within your community.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
The fact that they bring it onto themselves so often might affirm that. But that's not at all what I was implying.

First of all, this...

If any of you in here think for a second that a single producer of this show had furries in their mind in any capacity, you're full of shit. None of the 40 year old moms watching this is going to go to KF or 4Chan or Lulz or whatever site furries have nightmares about to rip on the fandom because someone on this show wore an uncanny dolphin mask.

But my main point is that furries don't need to prove any sort of "legitimacy", whatever the fuck that even entails. There's no "goal" to any nerd hobby other than having fun with likeminded people within your community.

Maybe I believe in a thing called "moderation" in a fandom, but hey.

Ratt Carry

Maybe I believe in a thing called "moderation" in a fandom, but hey.
I mean sure, but if you're going on the tangent of wanting the fandom to be "taken seriously" it's kind of a vain gesture and not really the point of a hobby. A niche hobby I might add.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I mean sure, but if you're going on the tangent of wanting the fandom to be "taken seriously" it's kind of a vain gesture and not really the point of a hobby. A niche hobby I might add.

I mean it's not my fandom, but yeah even in the Sonic fandom I'd wish people would at least take us more seriously other than Chris. It's not really vain, a lot of good folk get mixed in with the bad often and I feel like it's unfair to those who are not the more fringes of a fandom. Then again, the Sonic fandom is more interactive and about roleplaying and making tournaments and fighting.

Faustus

I doubt GREATLY that this has anything to do with the Fandom or an attempt to cater to it. They've just had an idea about a dating show that follows the same basic concept of 'the Masked Singer' and gone looking for a common phrase to use as a title. They could have called it 'Star-Crossed Lovers Trek' and it would have been all Klingons. And I don't think they've thought it through. A lot of human communication relies on facial expression and those 'cutting edge' prosthetics are far too heavy. It would have made more sense to use animated YouTube avatars. At least those are designed to show emotion.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
I find this very counter-productive. Isn't the goal of furries to prove their legitimacy and to try to get people to accept them? This is just painting a big target on the fandom

I don't believe the fandom has that as a "goal."

In a lot of ways, the fandom, including Sonic and MLP and all the little niches and franchises that make up the furry fandom, has dug its own grave. Individuals can howl all they want about the "unfair stereotypes" the public has of furries. But, it's furries that have CREATED that stereotype by way of their own behavior at cons and online. That's always what's going to get the attention of the media, before any of the "good" stuff, because the cringe is what makes people watch and point and laugh at those "weirdos who pretend to be animals and have sex in animal costumes."

This show is not about furries. It's about people trying to find a date while hiding what they look like.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

First of all, this...

Yeah, I'm in agreement.

If you [insert furry viewer here] think everything vaguely animal or anthro or whatever automatically constitutes as Furry or Furry Fandom then you're rather full of yourself. Just because there's a lot of art from The Lion King or Robin Hood or that fluffy dragon movie thing doesn't mean those movies were made with the Furry Fandom in mind. The same logic applies here. It's all made for the public's entertainment. XD

And I wouldn't be very surprised if they're not all pretty good-looking anyway underneath the prosthetics.

They wouldn't dream of having average or less than. That ruins the viewer's fantasy. I'm sure the contestants probably know whose who already for acting purposes.

Troj

And I wouldn't be very surprised if they're not all pretty good-looking anyway underneath the prosthetics.

It's Hollywood, so that's a very safe bet!

It's a shame, too, because I'd be much more interested in a show involving a diverse mix of people, including those with actual deformities.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
It's Hollywood, so that's a very safe bet!

It's a shame, too, because I'd be much more interested in a show involving a diverse mix of people, including those with actual deformities.

Someone would get triggered and cancel culture would ensue. Even if the show tries to uplift those people with deformities.

Troj

Someone would get triggered and cancel culture would ensue. Even if the show tries to uplift those people with deformities.

Probably! I imagine a huge swath of people would either not care or be in favor of it, but one noisy minority would be butthurt about "SJW wokes" forcing them to watch "uggos," and another noisy minority would be pissy that the concept wasn't being implemented perfectly (i.e., the way they'd do it in a vacuum).

(This is assuming that the hypothetical show actually sincerely tried to be uplifting or sensitive, and not just exploitative or crass, of course--in which case, of course people would be right to criticize it.)

Last edited: