• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Netflix 'Sexy Beasts': A furry dating show?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Probably! I imagine a huge swath of people would either not care or be in favor of it, but one noisy minority would be butthurt about "SJW wokes" forcing them to watch "uggos," and another noisy minority would be pissy that the concept wasn't being implemented perfectly (i.e., the way they'd do it in a vacuum).

Honestly, there's plenty of shows with morons out there who can make us feel better about ourselves as we watch them. We shouldn't 'need' a show laughing at deformed people anyways. I myself prefer to laugh at idiocy and delusion, not something someone cannot help or change. That being said, I wouldn't want to go on any real life show anyways.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
Honestly, there's plenty of shows with morons out there who can make us feel better about ourselves as we watch them. We shouldn't 'need' a show laughing at deformed people anyways. I myself prefer to laugh at idiocy and delusion, not something someone cannot help or change. That being said, I wouldn't want to go on any real life show anyways.
We have daytime talk shows for that. Jerry Springer and Dr. Phil and Maury and whatever.

The TV dating shows have all been shallow and trashy.

Now imagine being that contestant who is chosen by their partner and it's time for them to unmask and show their face. . .and their partner cringes.

Because you know it's going to happen.

Outré

(o͞o-trā′)
I just started watching the show. I think the show is a great idea and I’m kind of having fun watching it but I don’t think it was executed in the best way. I’m worried it will become stale.

There’s something about the production and presentation of the show that I’m not in love with. It kind of feels like something that was produced by HGTV. And the host and presentation kind of reminds me of the price is right… so I kind of wish they would change that up a little bit.

I think my main issue with the show is that every single person is exceptionally good looking, so there really isn’t any surprises. I think they should cast contestants without any consideration of the way they look. I think the show would be more interesting with a larger variety of people.

But with that said I’ve been enjoying it for the most part.

Minerva_Minx

Sheogorath is my co-pilot
I just started watching the show. I think the show is a great idea and I’m kind of having fun watching it but I don’t think it was executed in the best way. I’m worried it will become stale.

There’s something about the production and presentation of the show that I’m not in love with. It kind of feels like something that was produced by HGTV. And the host and presentation kind of reminds me of the price is right… so I kind of wish they would change that up a little bit.

I think my main issue with the show is that every single person is exceptionally good looking, so there really isn’t any surprises. I think they should cast contestants without any consideration of the way they look. I think the show would be more interesting with a larger variety of people.

But with that said I’ve been enjoying it for the most part.
I watched the first one and it was ok. Not bad, not good, ok. Liked the concept. Then it got cringe. Like you, yeah, amazingly attractive people, not people you would expect on the street. Maybe because I skipped around for something to not look ar feel cringey so I missed someone. And the voice over is just ridiculously god awful dad jokes, and not even good ones.

Costumes are well done. Really liked them.

Dating: no authenticity felt. It was like watching Katniss in Hunger Games. SO BLAND. It amplified cringe to ugh.

As for furry references, the show is definitely using the fandom as a means to draw some viewership and make a buck. I put it on par with CSI for actually understanding or taking time to understand the fandom: someone saw it on wiki, read a sentence, and thinks they got it nailed.. I think tangentially it may get people to become more informed, but most likely it's going to remain neutral and hope furry hate gets a few more people talking about it. I don't think the show is going to last, but enh, it's Netflix so probably will hang on.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
This continues to be a solid show to have on in the background while multi-tasking or getting ready for bed. I actually liked a small handful of the contestants as people this time around---the sasquatch and tigress were particularly cute together, and seemed like people I might actually get along well with! I also felt bad for a sweet scarlet macaw who got rejected, and who mentioned he likes to make graphs. Otherwise, the dates are usually pretty boring, and the people are typically dull and unforgettable when compared to the contestants on, say, Love on the Spectrum.

What's disappointing and revealing is that almost nobody ever gets into character--and if they do, they don't stay there--and that they fundamentally see the masks as a barrier to full connection and self-expression, not an enhancement, extension, or complement. Furries, in contrast, see their fursonas and fursuits as extensions of themselves which allow them to connect with others and express themselves even more fully.

I think it would be interesting to allow the contestants on this show to design their masksonas, and I wonder if that would add some spice and life to the whole affair.

Outré

(o͞o-trā′)
So I’m on season two now. It seems like the people in season two are a little more average… and they just put like a shit load of make up on them

Outré

(o͞o-trā′)
Did it get better?
Haha. Not really. I’m not sure why I’m still watching it. I do think that some of the costumes are cool.. The host is still pretty cringy. Sometimes I have a tendency to get stuck on cringy stuff though.

Minerva_Minx

Lol, could just mute it and make jp new words for what it beein said.

Minerva_Minx

I haven't seen a dating show that did not feel scripted, have worse lines than I could listen to at a bar, or have some of the most vapid people. Shows like this are why I don't watch tv.

Ennui Elemental

Eat shit and die, tankie assholes
Banned
I haven't seen a dating show that did not feel scripted, have worse lines than I could listen to at a bar, or have some of the most vapid people. Shows like this are why I don't watch tv.
Reality TV is pretty much anything but IMO and it's the worst thing to happen to entertainment recently

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord & Local Robot Kinnie
This show is nightmare fuel. Not to mention it completely goes against the message it's trying to send, but that's not the point of this thread.

It's not a furry dating show. Just shallow entertainment like any other reality show. Props to the makeup artists, though, because they do look like they put a lot of work into the costumes