• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New here, found out my GF is a Furry and I wish to understand.

TaWumpas

About a week ago I found out that my girlfriend is a furry. Honestly, I wish I had initially handled it better. I reacted with shock and was honestly a little put off because I didn't really understand. But now I wish to understand it and perhaps come to appreciate it.

Perhaps with the help of the forums. So what/where to start? Perhaps a discussion is all I really need?

Last edited:

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Pretty much what Dongding said. It's just a hobby - as long as she's not running around supermarket in a costume scaring kids, everything is cool

Dongding

The sheep
Basically if you liked Zootopia or Robin Hood or like... countless Disney movies you're a little bit furry yourself. Furries are just people that prefer that sort of art theme over plain humans, generally.

Water Draco

Next LondonFurs?? Please stay tuned
Hello and welcome.

as long as she's not running around supermarket in a costume scaring kids, everything is cool

But that's the best bit. :p Thinks of Beautyofthe Bass videos.

How individuals interact in the fandom is there choice, and if individuals go on to create characters there as individual as the people creating them.

One thing about this fandom is that as common interests go it brings together people from all walks of life.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Not much to understand. There are lots of ways to enjoy being a furry. Some people associate with their characters and use them to role-play, and some people (like me) just enjoy the art and community, among other reasons.

I 100% guarantee she would love it if you showed interest in her characters. Just ask her small questions. It's an ice breaker.

Remember, being a furry doesn't mean you're instantly a sex fiend or fetishist. :)

TaWumpas

I'll try that, then. Its nice to know that the term furry is so broad, though I guess without knowing the lingo it can be a little hard to research.
And I guess I'm a furry cuz I love the extremely Goofy Movie.

Dongding

The sheep
Yeah lol. You can earn a lot of brownie points by showing a bit of interest in it yourself.

There's an unfair stigma surrounding liking cartoon animal characters. The reason people hide it is simply because they feel like they'll be socially attacked by others they care about the opinion of without those people having a legitimate reason to treat them that way.

Interacting with other furries (generally online due to ease of access) is the only place they can go where they won't be judged in a legitimately life affecting way. It's the reason the phenomenon giving them the label "furries" even exists, and why they are so enthusiastic about meeting eachother in large groups as well as the enthusiasm for creating costumes like cosplayers do at videogame and anime conventions is so prevalent.

It's almost akin to something like the gay pride parade. There's nowhere else they can be themselves without persecution.

TaWumpas

It's almost akin to something like the gay pride parade. There's nowhere else they can be themselves without persecution.

Looking at my pride flag on my wall lol. Yeah I get that then.
Though, when it came up we we're discussing fetishes and kink, so I know there's some sexual component to it (which, yeah, I'll have to babystep to)

Not trying to overshare. Sorry if this is to much.

Last edited:

Minerva_Minx

Succumbing to her own psychosis
Only a kink if you put it there.

If this was superheroes, no one would care. Want to be something besides boring old human, everyone loses their mind. and oh my god, be an adult with an imagination...

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
Though, when it came up we we're discussing fetishes and kink, so I know there's some sexual component to it (which, yeah, I'll have to babystep to)
Here's the thing. People have these fetishes and kinks outside of the furry community. It's not like they joined the furry community and over time developed a fetish because they're a furry now. They either already had that fetish or hadn't been introduced to it or made aware of it yet. The furry community is just more accepting, and in return, more vocal about it, which means a lot of people discover they like certain things here because it's more readily available.

I guess I'm just trying to say that fetishes are something that your mind makes up - whether you like it or not - and becoming a part of a community doesn't develop them for you.

Dongding

The sheep
Yeah. That's a side effect of so many misunderstood people collaborating. It's sort of made the fandom a place where people aren't shamed for their interests whatever they happen to be. Furries will often split into groups because there's no right way to "be a furry" and people tend to interact with other people who share similar interests even when they are already included within a group like that. It would be similar to car fanatics who only like muscle cars not wanting to talk shop with people that only like asian import drifters.

It's sort of made the fandom a haven for any sort of person to stick with their clique to feel welcome, sexually charged or not. But even if they weren't furries they would have those interests anyways, and most likely end up discussing it with other people sharing those interests online regardless, such as BDSM kink lifestyle communities that you could easily find online which has nothing to do with furries.

(Sorry for all the edits. I'm at work so my attention is split. Makes for poor proofreading and I'd prefer to be concise about this as you're simply taking me at my word.)

Last edited:

Dongding

The sheep
Yeah actually. Basically no one is judging people over the things they don't choose, so discussions and art featuring more uncommon sexual interests are more prevalent due to lack of fear of persecution.

As a result you'll find all sorts of weird fetish art. I'm actually part of that crowd. Really really weird shit I can't help enjoy, but no one's knocking me.

But like mentioned by Luffy and myself, that was present within me without having anything to do with furries in the first place. The fandom was just a place I allowed myself to concede to that fact once I saw other people were interested in it and realized I was too, without a doubt.

But those conceptual interests aren't something a person chooses. As with bestiality/zoophiles, they would exist whether the fandom did or not. It has nothing to do with being a furry.

I will note however, due to it's inclusive and unabashed non-judgmental nature, the fandom attracts a lot of people who have trouble interacting with other people who aren't of that sort of accepting nature. People with conditions that would otherwise leave them socially isolated. It serves as a refuge for the socially inadequate/inept. You'll find a large amount of cringy socially retarded people within the fandom. That's probably where a lot of the stigma comes from and makes furries an easy target to ridicule in my own personal opinion. They were already targets before they joined the fandom, and carried those criticisms with them labeling the fandom as a whole, cringy.

Last edited: