• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New in the community

PD_Cyber

Just the average fluffbutt
Hey all, I am PD_Cyber, actually you can just call me Cyber.

I'm not completely comfortable with the term 'furry' yet, but I think I could consider myself a furry. I've been a furry for about only 2 years, and i haven't been active in the community about at all. This is the first time I reach out to actual 'be a part of the furry community'. I'm not used to any 'terms' used by furrys/fursuiters/... and probably might make a few mistakes or appear as odd.

But well, besides the part of being 100% new.

I love to draw and am an artist on my own, painting, digital drawing, writing, .. it all goes in well. Besides my creative part of my life, I spend a lot of time in nature, making long walks and hanging around with some close friends. I have one thing in my life that is the most important of them all, and that's my ferret Koda who goes with me everywhere I go.
For anyone who wants to see my ferret:
IMG_5469.jpg

I'm happy to get to meet you.

F

Frostbyte The Shark

Hi!
What's the PD stand for?

Pff, mistakes, don't worry about it! I don't think anyone here would judge you too harshly. And if they do, I'm sure they aren't being serious. If you have questions though, I'm sure someone will help you out.

Daww! Ferret. My uncle had a ferret named Clyde. He was fun to play with.

PD_Cyber

Hi both!

First a thank you to both of you for nicely welcoming me!

To Frostbyte The Shark: PD stands for a nickname 'PinkDolphin' , I'm not sure anymore how I got the nickname, I only remember I got first called so when I turned around 10 years old.
Well I'm sure about that! I don't really have any questions yet and am planning to well.. just let it all come to me for now.
Oh that's so nice! I love ferrets, and I can garantue they are all fun to play with haha.

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

F

Frostbyte The Shark

Sounds like quite the nickname. Too bad you don't remember how you got it.
It reminds me of my old nickname, Sweatpants Magician.

Anyway, enjoy your time here!

PD_Cyber

Sweatpants Magican sounds like a really interesting and fun nickname. I have had a lot of nicknames through time but only a few stayed with me, like PD (or PinkDolphin, it's long to write)

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Welcome to the forum, mate.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
YOUR FERRET IS ADORABLE!!! if only california allowed them...but i guess they pose a huge risk for becoming an invasive species...that being said i wish i could have one they're super playful!!! welcome btw!!

PD_Cyber

i guess they pose a huge risk for becoming an invasive species...

First of all super super thank you ^u^ it means a lot to me how much you like ferrets and the compliment you gave towards Koda. Koda is very important to me! And ferrets are so misunderstood.. So yeah!

Second about the part I quoted. Well i am not a native english speaker but I think you mean that ferrets might be a risk as in if they escape and come in the wild and go breed with other animals and well bring the eco-system etc in danger?

Well funnily enough (and sadly enough not well known) the ferret isn't able to survive in the wild. They are too much domisticated and will die within a few days to with some luck a week or two. This because several reasons including "the instinct to kill but not to eat what they killed" what will cause them to starve to death. etc. I know this might not be very interesting for you! But well I thought I should share?

Thank you for the welcome!

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
yeah an invasive species is described as one that isn't native to that area and has the potential to expand and cause a potentially great deal of damage to environment. Ferrets are excellent hunters and the original reason that they were not allowed was due to california being a large poultry producer at the time...the thought was that ferrets could escape and kill the chickens and what not. As much as i'd love to agree with you, ferrets are not domesticated, but i don't think that should stop others from owning them...you can file for a permit to own one but its only given to educational facilities and wildlife rescuers. of course, i always think more research needs to be done and most research on ferrets in an area like california is relatively old, so many things can contain errors or the information present can have possibly changed.

PD_Cyber

As much as i'd love to agree with you, ferrets are not domesticated.

Don't think this is meant to be rude because i am aware it might sound that way ;) see it as a kind and interested discussing of things. But I would love to hear why you think ferrets aren't domisticated?

There is no such thing as "wild ferrets", ferrets do not live in the wild. Ofcourse look-a-like species like polecats or martners do, but the ferret is neither of those. The ferret is domesticated ever since the middle ages, some suspect even longer but we don't have proof. There are artworks found back of kings and queens back then who owned ferrets and ferrets that where used for hunting rabbits, rats and others. And they still are used to hunt often. Ferrets are excellent hunters indeed! And ideed would be able to kill a lot of chickens. But then again they have lost the instinct to eat what they kill. Even hunters who hunt with ferrets or people who give their ferrets prey need to learn the ferret that prey = food to eat.

--
And to the other two.. KittenCozy i'll sure show some of my art soon! I suppose there is an "art showing" part on this forum too?

Last edited:

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
Oh no by no means did i mean to be rude; my greatest apologies if i came off that way; and i am wrong they were domesticated around 2000 years ago, so my apologies. My professor had conducted a research paper on the potential environmental threats a ferret could impose if escaped into California, and he stated that they would damage would be, if similar to the study they did, horrible. Of course i don't have the exact research paper in hand so until i get it he could easily be fibbing....my assumption would be that they would be very similar to cats on the invasive species argument.

PD_Cyber

Thanks Frostbyte The Shark! It was very kind of you to share the link! It saves me from hours of searching through the forum for it ;,)

@MsRavage , no don't worry! Haha. It's fine, really. You can impossible know everything, especially if you might never have met any ferrets or ferret owners in real life yet. It was very interesting to hear what you had to say!

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
Thanks Frostbyte The Shark! It was very kind of you to share the link! It saves me from hours of searching through the forum for it ;,)

@MsRavage , no don't worry! Haha. It's fine, really. You can impossible know everything, especially if you might never have met any ferrets or ferret owners in real life yet. It was very interesting to hear what you had to say!
You are definitely right about that!! And I learned something today, so that's a definite plus. I guess i need to learn to do more research before i speak of things! I'll add ferrets on my list of animals to study. Being an animal lover, it will be really fun to learn more about them!! Once again sorry about that.

PD_Cyber

You are definitely right about that!! And I learned something today, so that's a definite plus. I guess i need to learn to do more research before i speak of things! I'll add ferrets on my list of animals to study. Being an animal lover, it will be really fun to learn more about them!! Once again sorry about that.
Again: no need to say sorry! Haha
Well think this way: if you didn't had opened your mounth on this, you never got to know this information in the first place ;)

Ahhh an animal lover! Is there another animal species you really love or that facinates you? If you want to share tho.

And well I can't say anything else than that ferrets are one of the most fun animals to interact with, in my opinion as ferret lover and owner at least haha!

@KittenCozy you were an artist too, wheren't you? Did you make the art of your avatar yourself? Because it looks really cool!

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
well, my animal knowledge is more based on cats dogs fish and REPTILES!! im learning about inverts like tarantulas and scorpions too. But reptiles are very special to me!! I have snakes, uromastyxs, geckos, chameleons..they're amazing

PD_Cyber

well, my animal knowledge is more based on cats dogs fish and REPTILES!! im learning about inverts like tarantulas and scorpions too. But reptiles are very special to me!! I have snakes, uromastyxs, geckos, chameleons..they're amazing
Wow thats so amazing!! when I was younger I wanted a beared dragon (you know, those reptiles hha) but well yeh I did not know anything about them! They always appeared as cool and facinating animals to me tho.

If we talk about knowledge about animal species I would say I know about the most about cats and ferrets.

F

Frostbyte The Shark

Wow thats so amazing!! when I was younger I wanted a beared dragon (you know, those reptiles hha) but well yeh I did not know anything about them! They always appeared as cool and facinating animals to me tho.

Haha, I want a bearded dragon myself. I just have too many other pets for me to take care of right now, and I feel like I wouldn't take care of it properly..