• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New Staff Structure and Admins

J

jayhusky

The Moderator Audition board is only visible to members when we are actually accepting applications, and is hidden once the application period is over.

If that is the case then how come I can see it all the time?? What I'm getting at is I can see the forum and a thread I posted in there, nothing more, nothing less.
Also I'm going to be honest here, I'm fairly active on these forums, and I haven't really seen any Mod Application messages telling people to go to the forum to submit a "resume" as you say.

Just relax, man.

I am relaxed, just a little perplexed in certain area's of the forum

Thanks for the link Arshes

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
If that is the case then how come I can see it all the time?? What I'm getting at is I can see the forum and a thread I posted in there, nothing more, nothing less.
That one more or less comes down to a 'whoops'. To ease any concerns there, you now should not be able to view the board.
Also I'm going to be honest here, I'm fairly active on these forums, and I haven't really seen any Mod Application messages telling people to go to the forum to submit a "resume" as you say.
The announcement was last visible on 06-02-2011 (MM/DD/YYYY, for you crazy Americans). When it is visible, it is a global announcement and appears in the announcement subheading on all boards, similar to the Forum Rules.

J

jayhusky

That one more or less comes down to a 'whoops'. To ease any concerns there, you now should not be able to view the board.

The announcement was last visible on 06-02-2011 (MM/DD/YYYY, for you crazy Americans). When it is visible, it is a global announcement and appears in the announcement subheading on all boards, similar to the Forum Rules.

You are indeed correct now, I can no longer see that board.
In the long run it would actually aid me somewhat as, during the time i could see it all the time i was never sure of the open period for applications
Now, given that i will only see it when applications are open it will be of benefit.

Ah I see, I tend to glance over the Global annoucements a lot of the time.

Thank you.

Devious Bane

No faith for this site
Banned
06-02-2011 (MM/DD/YYYY, for you crazy Americans)
Our educational system hasn't degraded to that level of ignorance (yet.) Give it about 2 more years.
I think it boils down to "Are you willing to shove your head up someone else's your own ass?" to be an admin type thing. Anyone with an ego as large as their e-penis will qualify, and we've seen the repercussions of such choices. If you would get a boner over the thought of being an FA admin moderator, you would have more or less noticed the application announcement.

Carta

I assume "FTFY" is internet speak for "I make shit up from taking invented quotes out of context".

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
Such a glorious and well thought out response.

Communication issues between staff are a huge thing, and I too would prefer that all the new people being brought in in the merger know what's what, what they can touch and what they can't, and so on. I'd imagine that a lot of the artists would quite like the security issues fixed, as y'know, some people rely on commission-made cash, and hell, it'd be nice if the site was nice and stable. All of these things to me would take preference over reading a wall of text that will most likely essentially say "Staff should be friendly and impartial and also not be total dicks". Tryin' to put myself in your shoes here.

Regarding the staff code of conduct, what exactly do you think it is?
What do you think is going to be on there? How do you think a staff member of a reasonably large art site should act? You're pretty much spot on- unless you're pretty darn insane, what you imagine when you think "This is how I would want an authority figure to act" is pretty much exactly what's going to be on the COC.

It's not some crazy formula that we're trying to keep hidden behind smoke and mirrors because oh no it's super secret and we don't want you guys realising we strive to be impartial!

timoran

Banned
Banned
Regarding the staff code of conduct, what exactly do you think it is?
What do you think is going to be on there? How do you think a staff member of a reasonably large art site should act? You're pretty much spot on- unless you're pretty darn insane, what you imagine when you think "This is how I would want an authority figure to act" is pretty much exactly what's going to be on the COC.

It's not some crazy formula that we're trying to keep hidden behind smoke and mirrors because oh no it's super secret and we don't want you guys realising we strive to be impartial!

Well, I think for starters, it should prevent the situation that prompted OdinWolf's thread. Right now there is nothing concrete to point at that the admin involved did not abuse his power, but it is pretty clear that happened. Without any standards to follow nothing will ever be done to prevent the problem from happening again nor will he ever get an apology from the owners for the abuse.

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
Well, I think for starters, it should prevent the situation that prompted OdinWolf's thread. Right now there is nothing concrete to point at that the admin involved did not abuse his power, but it is pretty clear that happened. Without any standards to follow nothing will ever be done to prevent the problem from happening again nor will he ever get an apology from the owners for the abuse.

That's relating more to site rules such as TOS or AUP, it wouldn't be even slightly relevant to a staff CoC.

timoran

Banned
Banned
That's relating more to site rules such as TOS or AUP, it wouldn't be even slightly relevant to a staff CoC.

Not true. For situations where something is not explicitly forbidden in the rules, there should be a warning first, and then if a suspension is called for, there should be a standard for how serious a violation merits how long a suspension.

Also, if someone writes the admin to contest the suspension, it's completely uncalled for for the admin to completely ignore the person.

Things like this are what I expect CoC to fix.

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
Not true. For situations where something is not explicitly forbidden in the rules, there should be a warning first, and then if a suspension is called for, there should be a standard for how serious a violation merits how long a suspension.

Also, if someone writes the admin to contest the suspension, it's completely uncalled for for the admin to completely ignore the person.

Things like this are what I expect CoC to fix.

I think we've just gone circular right back to my point of "How you would want staff to act is pretty much what it's going to say (sanity and reasonable level of maturity dependant)"

timoran

Banned
Banned
I think we've just gone circular right back to my point of "How you would want staff to act is pretty much what it's going to say (sanity and reasonable level of maturity dependant)"

If we say that the staff policy is "Don't Be A Dick" that's fine and good but it's subjective and you know people will try and weasel out of it.

There need to be some black and white, concrete standards for how admins should and should not handle specific situations.

timoran

Banned
Banned
Man if the CoC forbids me acting like a dick then I may just resign.

No see, that's not how it works. The admins who do a respectable job, those are the ones who always eventually get fed up with this site's administration and quit.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
If we say that the staff policy is "Don't Be A Dick" that's fine and good but it's subjective and you know people will try and weasel out of it.

There need to be some black and white, concrete standards for how admins should and should not handle specific situations.

Right but this goes both ways for members too who try to do the same to get a staff member for whatever reason someone pissed in their cherios that day.

A Staff COC is good though. I don't mind it and I don't mind people seeing that there is one. However, end of the day the person should be fair minded and enforce it. Not someone who may cower to the squeaky mice, but actually look at the situation objectively and work on proper conduct with the staff. Meaning, that the leader will enforce it.

Corto

No see, that's not how it works. The admins who do a respectable job, those are the ones who always eventually get fed up with this site's administration and quit.
Ok, I'll bite, how is that in any way related to what I said? Are you calling me a shitty mod? Because I am a shitty mod but I'm still confused by your reply.

timoran

Banned
Banned
Ok, I'll bite, how is that in any way related to what I said? Are you calling me a shitty mod? Because I am a shitty mod but I'm still confused by your reply.

I wouldn't know, but chances are you're one of the good ones. You actually communicate with us.

timoran

Banned
Banned
Right but this goes both ways for members too who try to do the same to get a staff member for whatever reason someone pissed in their cherios that day.

A Staff COC is good though. I don't mind it and I don't mind people seeing that there is one. However, end of the day the person should be fair minded and enforce it. Not someone who may cower to the squeaky mice, but actually look at the situation objectively and work on proper conduct with the staff. Meaning, that the leader will enforce it.

It's more of a problem when the leader himself needs a CoC to be bound to.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
It's more of a problem when the leader himself needs a CoC to be bound to.

So what is he gonna do when he breaks it, step down?
Sure there should be accountability, but then there is some rationale bout the consequences.