• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New Terms of Service and Submission Agreement Policy

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Greetings, FA!

Fur Affinity's Terms of Service and Submission Agreement Policy have been completely re-vamped and rewritten from the ground up! This should make both documents easier to follow and much more easier to ready.

http://www.furaffinity.net/lm/tos/
http://www.furaffinity.net/lm/submissionpolicy/

In the coming weeky, additional changes will be coming to our Wiki to help guide users with more efficient rules for uploading, allowable content and more.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here!

Special thanks to the TOS Editors and Proofers: Dave Hyena, Wolfblade, ArrowTibbs, Akhanha, XianJaguar, Arshes Nei, Thaily, Ultraviolet and all the other admin and coding team for their input.

Shira

On the TOS: Content Submission
Fur Affinity allows the submission of visual art, stories, poetry and music to the site so long as the information complies with the rules and terms set forth by the Submission Agreement (insert link to document here).

I think you forgot to insert the link. :)

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Yes. Yes I did...

Further proof that you should never let a hyena behind the keyboard!

Xax

Submission Policy said:
If you are seventeen (17) years of age or younger you must have explicit permission from a parent or legal guardian before uploading to the server, and you agree that they have read and consented to both the Terms of Service and the Submission Agreement.

Really?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Xax said:
Submission Policy said:
If you are seventeen (17) years of age or younger you must have explicit permission from a parent or legal guardian before uploading to the server, and you agree that they have read and consented to both the Terms of Service and the Submission Agreement.

Really?
Really.

Robat

Ok, maybe I'm too tired, but the only rule I find in the ToS and SubAgr regarding the allowed content right now is, that the content should be
a) your own
or
b) content which the original owner has permitted you to post

Does that mean, that Just as long as it's yours, nearly anything goes has changed to Just as long as it's yours, anything goes ?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Robat said:
Does that mean, that Just as long as it's yours, nearly anything goes has changed to Just as long as it's yours, anything goes ?
No. All previous content restrictions still apply. They will be further outlined on the wiki and a seperate document on its own dictating what is acceptable, and that will be amended in. The original TOS had a few entries in it with regards to limitations, but they were scattered, not entirely through out and never covered everything as well at they could have.

Submission Posting Guidelines on the Wiki
http://wikiffinity.net/index.php?title=Submission_Posting_Guidelines

Robat

Preyfar said:
No. All previous content restrictions still apply. They will be further outlined on the wiki and a seperate document on its own dictating what is acceptable, and that will be amended in. The original TOS had a few entries in it with regards to limitations, but they were scattered, not entirely through out and never covered everything as well at they could have.

I'm glad to hear that

nobuyuki

subjective leeway is back in style

timoran

Banned
Banned
Fur Affinity Administration and Staff will uphold the policies set forth by the Terms of Service and Submission Policy, and will protect the general interests of the Service. This includes, but is not limited to: art theft, identity theft, harassment, defacement, piracy, illegal activity.

In other words, the general interests of the service include, but are not limited to, art theft, identity theft, harassment, defacement, piracy, and illegal activity.

Before you can "cover your ass" you might want to check your grammar...

cesarin

Famous Huggable Dragon
Preyfar said:
Greetings, FA!

Fur Affinity's Terms of Service and Submission Agreement Policy have been completely re-vamped and rewritten from the ground up! This should make both documents easier to follow and much more easier to ready.

http://www.furaffinity.net/lm/tos/
http://www.furaffinity.net/lm/submissionpolicy/

In the coming weeky, additional changes will be coming to our Wiki to help guide users with more efficient rules for uploading, allowable content and more.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here!

Special thanks to the TOS Editors and Proofers: Dave Hyena, Wolfblade, ArrowTibbs, Akhanha, XianJaguar, Arshes Nei, Thaily, Ultraviolet and all the other admin and coding team for their input.
Upon submitting to Fur Affinity you grant the website non-exclusive rights to transmit, resize, store, display, publish or alter any submission media within the boundaries of the site's Domains (http://www.furaffinity.net/, http://www.furaffinityforums.net/ and http://www.wikiffinity.net/).

can you explain what does this means??
we lose the rights of your art or what? o_O
sounds like that lamme DA rule that made all artists get pissed at them...

*Edit* was reading the TOS and it explains that better. curse my legal english skills

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
cesarin said:
Upon submitting to Fur Affinity you grant the website non-exclusive rights to transmit, resize, store, display, publish or alter any submission media within the boundaries of the site's Domains (http://www.furaffinity.net/, http://www.furaffinityforums.net/ and http://www.wikiffinity.net/).

Just to clarify for others, it means that when you give us the graphic you give us the right to transmit (send it out to others), resize (make preview images), store (keep it on our servers), publish (display it on the site) or alter (some people upload images at 2 to 4MB, when they don't NEED to be at all. Sometimes in rare cases we compress them to realistic file sizes - bandwidth is not free).

nobuyuki

Site Coding
Fur Affinity's site code is not covered under GPL and is not open source. Fur Affinity code is intellectual property of Fur Affinity, Alkora and the Coding Team. Components, parts or any code, past code or present, may not be re-used for either personal use or used inclusion in other applications or republished in digital or physical format.

Was this just tacked on at the last minute? Check out how it addresses the GPL specifically. It sounds threatening but it totally doesn't negate out the original contract and whatnot.... and misdirecting people about the legal status of the old code (ie: despite clear indications in the other thread that certain past versions WERE GPL derivitives) is not going to help. (IANAL) The only thing I suppose this binds to is users in the US where EULA's are pretty binding -- that is to say that by using the current site, you agree that you won't use portions of the current or previous code REGARDLESS of their legal status. Still, that's probably going to be confusing to people I'm sure. Non-FA members are not bound by the TOS and therefore can use any source code that is a derivative of GPL'd code.... Just pointing that out.

urgh..... way too tired to voice my discontent with the other points..... why bother, the site goes through bipolar shifts between lax policies and total fascism anyway ~______ ~

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
Preyfar said:
cesarin said:

Just to clarify for others, it means that when you give us the graphic you give us the right to transmit (send it out to others), resize (make preview images), store (keep it on our servers), publish (display it on the site) or alter (some people upload images at 2 to 4MB, when they don't NEED to be at all. Sometimes in rare cases we compress them to realistic file sizes - bandwidth is not free).

That's very well phrased Preyfar.
'Plain English' clarifications of the legalese requirements of the TOS and Submission Agreement would go a long way, in my eyes at least, towards making sure that there is a minimum of confusion for the average user.

I hope that the Admins and Staff would consider adding more such wording in the TOS and Submission Agreement, or at least include them in the wiki in some way.

Wolfblade

Swampwulf said:
Preyfar said:

'Plain English' clarifications of the legalese requirements of the TOS and Submission Agreement would go a long way, in my eyes at least, towards making sure that there is a minimum of confusion for the average user.

I hope that the Admins and Staff would consider adding more such wording in the TOS and Submission Agreement, or at least include them in the wiki in some way.

Yeah, actually, maybe just adding those parentheticals into the actual posting just as you put them here would be a good idea :3

Damaratus

Care to join me in my lab?
Swampwulf said:

It think adding something like that to the Wiki is not a bad idea at all. Like many other sites out on the web you will often find a Terms of Service or Usage Agreement that is muddled in legalese.

As an idea, for the moment, perhaps we could post a link after each section that essentially says: "If you have more questions or do not understand something please look at a more basic definition on the Wiki (add a link to the specific section in question)."

This way the ToS will remain with its wording, and any user who wishes can go and take get a layman's version that may help them better decipher the legal text. It could also lead them to some additional FAQ for other questions regarding the use of Fur Affinity.

moonlightsinner

While I very, very much agree with the referencing addition... What bothers me is this. Generic poses and what not. What if someone goes on your page and reports your item as not being cited, when a refrence wasn't used to begin with? And yet by doing so you only have your word as you didn't reference. There are people out there who will abuse this, and those who are overly zealous over "THEIR copyrighted poses", when they are very much generic. How will this be handled in the near future? =/ As dA, SA and Y!Gallery has had people complain about such things as well... I'm just curious. Thanks. ^^

-Moonlight Sinner

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
Damaratus said:
It think adding something like that to the Wiki is not a bad idea at all. Like many other sites out on the web you will often find a Terms of Service or Usage Agreement that is muddled in legalese.

As an idea, for the moment, perhaps we could post a link after each section that essentially says: "If you have more questions or do not understand something please look at a more basic definition on the Wiki (add a link to the specific section in question)."

This way the ToS will remain with its wording, and any user who wishes can go and take get a layman's version that may help them better decipher the legal text. It could also lead them to some additional FAQ for other questions regarding the use of Fur Affinity.

To quote the guy in the Guinness commercial:
BRILLIANT!

That's the perfect use of a wiki.
Self-referencing and simplifying in regards to the site's standard.
If you don't understand something you should be able to drill down into it till you do.

I like it!

My only though is for the photographed submissions. you had the 'imageshack" (I believe) thing going, then not.

Are we alowed to mass photos still, or have you all devised some guidelines yet?

Wolfblade

moonlightsinner said:
While I very, very much agree with the referencing addition... What bothers me is this. Generic poses and what not. What if someone goes on your page and reports your item as not being cited, when a refrence wasn't used to begin with? And yet by doing so you only have your word as you didn't reference. There are people out there who will abuse this, and those who are overly zealous over "THEIR copyrighted poses", when they are very much generic. How will this be handled in the near future? =/ As dA, SA and Y!Gallery has had people complain about such things as well... I'm just curious. Thanks. ^^

-Moonlight Sinner

Admin discretion.

If someone comes forward with something that can be overlaid and looks to be a trace, they're more likely to be listened to.

Complaints of "Pose theft," when not an obvious (again, admin discretion) trace or direct eyeball referencing (and even that one was still kinda under discussion last time I checked), won't be listened to, and haven't been nearly as common as people seem to believe they will be.

Wolfblade

crabby_the_frog said:
I like it!

My only though is for the photographed submissions. you had the 'imageshack" (I believe) thing going, then not.

Are we alowed to mass photos still, or have you all devised some guidelines yet?

Actually, maybe someone could start a poll or something. It seems that people are divided on whether or not an imageshack policy was needed or wanted. Plenty of people complain about too many photos of someone's butt in a fridge, or ice cream on toast, but then people also complain when any sort of limitation is put in place whatsoever.

At present, the imageshack policy isn't in effect. Whether or not people feel it should come back in some form or another might be a good topic for discussion in the meantime (in another thread of course).

Revamp

Chopped And Screwed
Reading the whole TOS and submission agreement...it looked like a very well paid lawyer wrote it. Seems full proof to me, and managable. Only thing that left me a bit uneasy was FA's ability to suspend accounts for any reason.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Revamp said:
Reading the whole TOS and submission agreement...it looked like a very well paid lawyer wrote it. Seems full proof to me, and managable. Only thing that left me a bit uneasy was FA's ability to suspend accounts for any reason.
I wouldn't call myself a lawyer. =P And nah, we had lots of good help honestly.

The "suspend accounts for any reason" is just there to say that, if we need to, we can suspend them. For instance, if a year down the line we decide to clean up old accounts that haven't been used in 365 days, have no submissions, favorites, etc. we have the right to go in and say, "Well, these accounts were created but NEVER used..." Having that in there gives us the power to do so.

We're not abusive. =)

NOTE: Before anybody speculates, we have no plan to do account cleanups at this time. It's just an example of something that COULD happen.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
Swampwulf said:

I've already got a plan for that on the Wiki.