• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New To Art: Where Do I Begin?

TheWhiteWolf

Hello, everyone! I’m new here, so just figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask the community some art related questions if that’s okay.

I decided to follow a path in the art world but I’ve been struggling off and on with seeing people younger than me producing work that’ll blow your mind. I felt like, and still do at times, that’ll I’ll never reach that quality of style. I’m 21, I have no art background, etc. You get the picture. But I think I finally have a enough confidence to give it a try. I understand that I probably won’t ever reach a professional level but I’d like to reach a commission level standard.

So let me lay some groundwork. I’m attempting to learn on an iPad (5th Gen, No ApplePencil) with Sketchbook while watching Youtube tutorials. I’ve learned a little but I don’t feel like I’m actually making progress. The style I want to achieve is probably a realistic anime (?) idk, like character designs or something. I’m not really a scenery type. I’d also like to learn how to draw anthros and stylized animals. (SFW art style.)

if anyone has any tips, videos, books, or online courses that’s great for beginners or someone who draws those styles, please let me know. I’d appreciate it. Thanks for reading and have an awesome day!

Hatiblackwolf

Too depressed to talk. :(
SheilaGrace on DeviantArt
You can talk to my friend SheilaGrace on DA. She is an outstanding artist and can give you a few tips. However, she doesn't like to be used so make sure that you say thank you.
Also, if you need reference look at Osamu Tezuka and Yoshihiro Tatsumi's art. They are great artists to reference. Lastly, if you are looking at animals look at anatomy. Lots and lots of anatomy. Drawing the skeleton first will help a lot. Here are two resources to help you:
RussellTuller on DeviantArt
Monika Zagrobelna Articles - Autodesk SketchBook

I hope this helps

Speaking from an art school background here -

1 - Don't try to compare yourself to other artists. If you like the way someone does something and you want to ask them how they do it, that's fine, but everybody has a different journey to make with art. No one improves in the same way or at the same rate, so don't push yourself to get better just because other people are better. Push yourself because you want to get better and you'll feel a whole lot better about your own work for it.

2 - Style is good, knowing the fundamentals is better. If you know the anatomy of a horse, you can draw it in many different styles and still have it look good. So, as with any basic art class: observe what you want to draw (live if possible) and copy what you see. Once you know what it is that you're seeing, you can exaggerate and build off of that to create things the way you want them to look.

If you want some good resources for people / animals I'd suggest these sites for references:
line-of-action.com: Figure study practice tools for artists
SketchDaily Gesture/Figure Drawing

And this YouTube channel has a lot of good videos for starting drawing:

Mostly though, it's about practicing and finding what you like to draw. Doing something just to be good at it won't always give you enough motivation to keep trying and improving, but if you find something that you enjoy doing, it'll be a lot easier to keep at it long enough to see that improvement you want.

- Also, (I need to get better at this myself) don't draw in a void, put your artwork up somewhere and get feedback on it when you can, especially while it's still in process. It will help you improve a lot faster and may even make you some friends too. c:

MissNook

I know that may seems like a stale advice but you'll improve by practicing. If you think you'll make awesome progress in no-time well... that's not really happening, except if you dedicate yourself in it and even if you do, you'll often be your worst judge, thinking you didn't improve.
But guess what? You will improve at each drawing even if you don't see it! Drawing is a skill, observation too. You'll have to train both. And you'll see improvement.

Oh and try to see when you're in your comfort zone. You may not want to step out of it, but it's better than not knowing you're in it ^^ Still... you learn things you didn't know you had to learn by stepping out of your comfort zone so I hope you'll keep your mind open.

Keep drawing and you'll be good :)