• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New to Furrafinity but long time aspiring artist - would people commission me?

Belbe

Hey everyone, I've only recently discovered this.. new side of me hahaha XD
And I've been sketching and drawing some OC's but I was wondering if I should go ahead and put myself out for commissions? Most furry artwork I've seen is very cartoony in work, while mine is more, semi-realistic?
I absolutely love drawing flora and fauna though, and I'd love to draw furry art ^^
I draw only traditional at the moment ^^

Can you please give me your honest opinion?

lP5rc8Q.png

Okamiterasu.jpg

Mew.jpg

Sketchdailycuteoverload.jpg

Carra-lineart.jpg

swT0aWJ.jpg

Mesj0uT.jpg

tumblr_pjurfu69aK1r5v5a1_1280.jpg

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Pretty sure you already know that people would commission you and you're just being modest.

Welcome to the board.

Belbe

Pretty sure you already know that people would commission you and you're just being modest.

Welcome to the board.
Hey Prometheus_Fox, I swear I really don't know because, as I said, my style is very different from what most here draw =/
Thank you for the welcome!

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Hey Prometheus_Fox, I swear I really don't know because, as I said, my style is very different from what most here draw =/
Thank you for the welcome!
There's a lot of realistic artists here.
You might have to dig some, but they're there.

Belbe

why wouldn't they?
I don't know XD I'm a bit nervous and am not sure how to go about this and don't want to feel like a fool by putting myself out there and getting bad reviews ^^"
Somehow I'm expecting people to say "yeah, we don't do that style here really..." -_-;

Water Draco

Next LondonFurs?? Please stay tuned
Aaaand I managed to write the site's name wrong. GO ME! *facedesks*

I'm quite good at the facepaw spelling moments and say that it is nothing to worry about.

There are all manner of styles of artwork and your stile most certainly has a place in the community. I wish you every success.

Fiorabeast

Always ill as hell
There really is no 'right or wrong' art style to sell really, as long as it catches and attracts whatever client you are looking for since I've seen most go for the REALLY awesome-looking ones. And, honestly you have a VERY beautiful style and I'm pretty envious of it! I think it definitely will sell!

If you are not sure where to start, do start by thinking up prices for your art, depending on how long it takes for you to do. As well as what you offer (do you offer portraits only? Can you do character reference sheets? Illustrations only? etc..)
And what kind of art style and subject matter you specialize in and do (also if you offer NSFW because a lot of people will pay a LOT for that, but don't do this if the idea of it squicks you out!)
Since it seems you are more traditional arts focused, will you be shipping the originals to your clients or just keep them for a certain amount of time until you dispose of them? If you are going to send the original works to your clients, you kind of need to calculate the postal rates into your art prices (this is, I guess why a majority of artists do digital nowadays but I digress...)
Just make sure you don't undercharge yourself because that would really not be fair not only to you, but your art too!

Then to promote yourself, you can offer a limited about of free art requests but make sure that you can handle and complete a certain number of them. The Art Trade and Exchange thread is where you want to post free art, while selling them will go the Art Sales thread of course.

I apologize for the wordy text, but other artists help other artists! Good luck!

Belbe

@Red_Lead yes I am :) I can do simple digital but I should look into getting a new tablet, my current one isn't compatible with anything anymore :|

@Fiorabeast thank you so much for writing that out! That's a ton of helpful tips *w* *cheers to you*
Previously when I did commissions (painting Magic cards) I asked €10 per hour I was working on something, I'm thinking of asking something similar now? And what kind of work I should do is a very good question. I'm not opposed to NSFW to be honest. I started trying to draw that shortly ago and I like it XD Thank you again for all these tips!

@Water Draco "facepaw" that's adorable thank you for the encouragement!

@Fallowfox thank you so much!!! I jus
just looked at your gallery and it's freaking gorgeous :eek: :eek: :eek: you have an amazing style!!

Last edited: