• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New to the forums! Wanted to give some story to my lifelong fursona!

Katergaris

Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker of FA, saw the forums and wanted to get out there a bit! I'm a bit nervous, so sorry if I sound a little eccentric. I'm not used to actually "being in" an online community...lol.
Soooo here's some backstory from my FA page on how it all came to be. I'm not sure if I"m still considered a "furry" even though I've always shared a connection to snakes? Am I a scaley? LOL. Nice to meet you all! I'd love to hear how you all figured out your fursona as well.

All my life I've been quite fascinated with animals. When I was a young boy, I didn't have the best childhood. My father wasn't home much and my mother would drink due to the former. When he was home, it was fighting. That was all I knew from an early family life. I'd often hike out into the woods to be alone. It was the one place I found calming. It was what took me away from it all. My respite from the ever bustling, chaotic, horrendous childhood I endured. One night, after my parents were fighting as usual, but this one was much, much more chaotic. I snuck out to go to my new sanctuary. I needed a place to just collect my thoughts. I ran and ran, finally reaching my favorite destination in the nearby woods. It was a calm river between two large wooded crevices. Watching the elegant water flow would put me to ease sometimes. This time, the river seemed more violent than usual. Rather symbolic, I even thought so when I was a kid then. I still sat and spectated the environment, basking in natures glory. Eventually a snake came up to me. I wasn't afraid. I'm not sure why, as generally such animals would stir me up, but seeing him..it relaxed me. Put me at ease. It was as if he was consoling me, simply with his presence. He prodded up a little bit and gazed inquisitively. As if he knew something was wrong. This floored me. I knew we shared a connection unlike any real person I've ever met. There was something that struck in that moment. It was then I realized my connection with animals and nature, and my devotion towards them. There's something about the ideology of a fursona that got to me, a world where I can really be that which I have desired since that life-changing moment when I was a child. Once I learned that many others have shared these beliefs and passions, I jumped onto the "fur-train" and was super excited to see what others have created, expressed, drawn and written on the animals I've grown to love and share a connection with. And from that, I've grown a connection to people, many that I can relate to unlike any I've met in my real life. It is that I'm extremely thankful for. As to why I'm still "new" is that I have anxiety, and from that was too afraid to post or share my thoughts and creations, but I've decided that I should not miss out on so many great opportunities, so here I am! Now social and ready to mingle around with the great people of the furry community!

SlyRiolu

A-veri Rood Roo
If the snakes your fursona then yes you're a scaley. I just thought hey kangaroos are pretty cool! Then I made a character for a steampunk role play with no personality and backstory. I abondoned her for a bit, realized I had her, started editing the patterns to fit what I liked now, and soon enough I made it into a fursona.

Katergaris

So you kind of spent time molding her into what you wanted to be? That's pretty cool! How long did it take you to create that ideal archetype?

SlyRiolu

A-veri Rood Roo
Not what I want to be, what I am and oh boy can I act really oblivious sometimes! Making fursonas and characters made me observe people and myself more closely partly for traits.
Technically speaking as long as I live. It's my fursona so it's probably going to change with me throughout the years.