• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

New to this.

JinxGlider

Sugar-Glider. Vet Tech and Animal Lover.
I have been interested in the furry fandom for some time. Watching The Fandom documentary made me want to just step out of my shell and get involved. I don't have a Fursona though I have some ideas, I'm still undecided. I love the artwork of the fandom and have cosplayed for many years though I'm falling away from that a bit. I am so very new to all this and have zero idea of where to begin. I'm on both FA and obviously the FA Forums. I would love to meet a couple of people that could help me find myself in this fandom. Don't be shy just shoot me a message. I'm very much low drama and chill. I deal with enough life and death in my daily life to like my interests/hobbies to be as low stress as possible.
A little about me...
I'm 39 years old.
I'm a gay person who identifies as male.(He/Him)
I work as a Licensed Veterinary Technician at a busy inner city hospital (Atlanta).
I have 3 dogs and 2 sugar gliders.
I'm also in school for animation and visual effects.
I'm a huge geek , Comics, transformers, TTRPGs.
I tend to be inquisitive, outgoing, and adventurous.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Welcome to the community!

Don't worry about not having a fursona right away. I didn't join here for 6 months because I was trying to come up with something and in the end, I don't think it really mattered. Even now, I still have to finish my reference sheet. If you'd like help or want to bounce ideas around, please feel free to message me. We probably have some shared interests. I have a BFA in Graphic Design (that I don't use) but all the art classes really helped shape me. And I have 2 doggies!

If you have any questions or just want to chat, please feel free to message me! I hope you have a lot of fun here and make some nice friends.

JinxGlider

Welcome to the community!

Don't worry about not having a fursona right away. I didn't join here for 6 months because I was trying to come up with something and in the end, I don't think it really mattered. Even now, I still have to finish my reference sheet. If you'd like help or want to bounce ideas around, please feel free to message me. We probably have some shared interests. I have a BFA in Graphic Design (that I don't use) but all the art classes really helped shape me. And I have 2 doggies!

If you have any questions or just want to chat, please feel free to message me! I hope you have a lot of fun here and make some nice friends.
Thank you so much! I will likely message you soon!

JinxGlider

As a part of you initiation, we require as many pet pics that you can provide, at your earliest convenience.
Lol I need very little push to post animal pictures.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1617887269428.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617887269428.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 9
  • FB_IMG_1617887263490.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617887263490.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 12
  • FB_IMG_1617887242836.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617887242836.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 11

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
I am holding 2 events this month.
300 Sub Raffle: [NOW OPEN]
Star Wars Day: ( May 4th - 6th ) [NOW OPEN]
You're welcome to check them out, if you're interested.

JinxGlider

I am holding 2 events this month.
300 Sub Raffle: [NOW OPEN]
Star Wars Day: ( May 4th - 6th ) [NOW OPEN]
You're welcome to check them out, if you're interested.
Thank you ! I think I did it right. I have Zero furry art of my fursona , I haven't decided what it is, I'm stuck between two that I think I identify with. Though if you don't need a reference I would be more than happy to pay for a commissioned piece even if I don't win. If you don't mind me trying to discover what my fursona is with you of course.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
I have been interested in the furry fandom for some time. Watching The Fandom documentary made me want to just step out of my shell and get involved. I don't have a Fursona though I have some ideas, I'm still undecided. I love the artwork of the fandom and have cosplayed for many years though I'm falling away from that a bit. I am so very new to all this and have zero idea of where to begin. I'm on both FA and obviously the FA Forums. I would love to meet a couple of people that could help me find myself in this fandom. Don't be shy just shoot me a message. I'm very much low drama and chill. I deal with enough life and death in my daily life to like my interests/hobbies to be as low stress as possible.
A little about me...
I'm 39 years old.
I'm a gay person who identifies as male.(He/Him)
I work as a Licensed Veterinary Technician at a busy inner city hospital (Atlanta).
I have 3 dogs and 2 sugar gliders.
I'm also in school for animation and visual effects.
I'm a huge geek , Comics, transformers, TTRPGs.
I tend to be inquisitive, outgoing, and adventurous.
Welcome! You seem like a cool guy and definitely my kind of person. Been involved in the fandom for 15 years so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

JinxGlider

Welcome! You seem like a cool guy and definitely my kind of person. Been involved in the fandom for 15 years so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks Taco! Great fursona! This is a huge step for me. I'm honestly looking for any friends I can make here.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Hello, nice to have you on board! ;) Don't worry about being unable to decide on fursona, it can take time. And I think, the more knowledgeable one is about various animals, the harder the decision can be - so many cool choices!... Being prone to thinking about things deeply also makes it longer, you want to find something that would *really * fit you, once and for all.

But there are no hard rules about fursonas either, for instance I'm a striped hyena, through and through. No other species fits me better and so that's the main fursona I have. But I'm also crazy fascinated with antelopes, mainly because of their looks. So eventually I got myself an alternate, secondary personal character, which is a nyala buck. Not nearly as personally relatable as the hyena, but still useful in certain art contexts, for example.

Feel free to drop me a message, we may have some shared interests too. I'm a hobbyist animator and I have education in biology (not that much useful where I am though...). I'm not much involved with comic books and games, but I'm a huge science & technology nerd instead.

Stray Cat Terry

"테리는길냥이"
Another new face in the forums! That means you're not alone here so don't be too shy--in case you do! Ow<☆

Welcome to the forums! Make it your home UwU

Realistically, the furry fandom require you nothing except some basic common sense, and I see no issues coming at all from ya! I guess you might be already informed on certain aspects of the fandom being 'bad' in terms of disrespect and stuffs--but it's not like we welcome those too, so don't worry that you have to face those some moment.
I'm here with you--while I have no power or authority at all in the whole fandom--I'm one of those who can listen and help you regain inner peace when you need it. UwU

About the sona thing, as stated, it's not a necessity--there are plenty that don't have their sonas yet having no issues at all hanging around in the furry fandom--or at least, the FAF. No pressure on that too!

But if you feel in need of establishing sona references/arts, there are many artists who can provide you that if you search for them, free or conditional.

I am an artist myself as well, and perhaps if I get time and margins, I may help you with that--to draw your sona's art--free of charge! But well, again, it depends on my situations >p<

Anyways, that's all I find informative for you, for now. Hopefully see you around, dear Andy! OwO
(I say 'dear' to almost anyone I encounter, no other cause, in case you mind >w<)

JinxGlider

Hello, nice to have you on board! ;) Don't worry about being unable to decide on fursona, it can take time. And I think, the more knowledgeable one is about various animals, the harder the decision can be - so many cool choices!... Being prone to thinking about things deeply also makes it longer, you want to find something that would *really * fit you, once and for all.

But there are no hard rules about fursonas either, for instance I'm a striped hyena, through and through. No other species fits me better and so that's the main fursona I have. But I'm also crazy fascinated with antelopes, mainly because of their looks. So eventually I got myself an alternate, secondary personal character, which is a nyala buck. Not nearly as personally relatable as the hyena, but still useful in certain art contexts, for example.

Feel free to drop me a message, we may have some shared interests too. I'm a hobbyist animator and I have education in biology (not that much useful where I am though...). I'm not much involved with comic books and games, but I'm a huge science & technology nerd instead.
Thank you for the welcome. My focus is VFX. I'm not an amazing illustrator. I'm getting better. I'm currently working on doodling my two different ideas and really thinking about what fits me, I may blend the two together. I see that happens a fair bit. I would love to chat more for sure. I'm really just looking to make a couple friends that I have some things in common with that can help me navigate this massive Fandom.

JinxGlider

Another new face in the forums! That means you're not alone here so don't be too shy--in case you do! Ow<☆

Welcome to the forums! Make it your home UwU

Realistically, the furry fandom require you nothing except some basic common sense, and I see no issues coming at all from ya! I guess you might be already informed on certain aspects of the fandom being 'bad' in terms of disrespect and stuffs--but it's not like we welcome those too, so don't worry that you have to face those some moment.
I'm here with you--while I have no power or authority at all in the whole fandom--I'm one of those who can listen and help you regain inner peace when you need it. UwU

About the sona thing, as stated, it's not a necessity--there are plenty that don't have their sonas yet having no issues at all hanging around in the furry fandom--or at least, the FAF. No pressure on that too!

But if you feel in need of establishing sona references/arts, there are many artists who can provide you that if you search for them, free or conditional.

I am an artist myself as well, and perhaps if I get time and margins, I may help you with that--to draw your sona's art--free of charge! But well, again, it depends on my situations >p<

Anyways, that's all I find informative for you, for now. Hopefully see you around, dear Andy! OwO
(I say 'dear' to almost anyone I encounter, no other cause, in case you mind >w<)
Thank you stray kitty . I really appreciate the warm welcome and the offer to help with illustrating my fursona. I'm doodling away on it myself. I'm not an amazing illustrator/artist. Though I really love the quality and quantity of the art that comes from the Fandom. The fursona is definitely something I don't want to rush I have thought about it for some time. Thank you again for the warm welcome. You all are so welcoming, it's nice.

anonfoxer

trans girl, arctic fox, dingus. she/her
Lord the amount of people who are in the fandom and have some sort of very impressive career or technical background lol. Here's hoping I can land a decent career someday.

We're happy to have you! We hope you find your niche here! As far as finding your place and finding yourself and places to begin, a few resources.
The Dragget Show, a mature furry themed podcast hosted by Alkali Bismuth and Xander the Blu, both cool peeps well worth your time.
silvergatomon, a person who somehow manages to record nearly every single event and panel from every convention ever. Check him out if you missed a con, or if you want nostalgia for a con youve been too, etc etc. Or, just to get a good idea of what part of conventions are like!
FurryCons, a website to help you locate and see the schedules of cons near you and around the world. A little out of date, iirc, but a good place to start.
This Fursona Does Not Exist, a website that uses AI and image manipulation to come up with random furry characters! Could be useful for getting inspiration for your own fursona, or if nothing else for a good laugh.