• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Newbie with questions

SophieGreyWolf

A wild red panda appeared!
Hi, I'm Sophie and I'm new to this forum, Fur Affinity in general, and the fandom as well. I don't really know where to go to answer my questions so I thought I'd just ask.
I'm trying to put together a fursona but not really sure how to go about that. My imagination hasn't been getting enough exercise lately and keeps cramping up on me. My art skills are a little cramped, too.
Uh, what else do I say... I'm female, I'm supposed to be an adult but adulting is hard. I want to be some kind of writer, and I'm working my way through college to either that goal or maybe costume design. I sure don't know yet. Life is a journey...
I really want to get involved in this community because I love anthros, animals, mythological creatures (mostly dragons), Pokémon, and costume design (to name a few reasons). Oh, and making friends would be awesome!

So my questions (I'll stick to three for now):
1). Fursona advice? Should I just start with animals I like and mix in qualities of myself? Should I just think of what represents me best, or some kind of idealized version of myself? (I know there are no "rules" to this, but I feel I need more guidelines to follow.)
2). Any general tips for the fandom? I'm coming in pretty blank and I love learning; please feed me info. Like terminology, fursuit materials, ideas on how to get involved...I don't know. Tell me things. (Or don't. Your choice. I'm just asking.)
3). What do I do here? I mean on this forum (I've never really been on any forums, so I don't know what to do with myself, and I'm afraid of breaking rules), but also on the main Fur Affinity site (again, I just don't know what I'm doing. I metaphorically live under a rock.) I don't know how much or how little to share.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
Hello and welcome to the forums!

To answer your questions:

1) There's no actual rule on how to make a fursona. Come up with a character that you enjoy and that's original(or not).Can you draw? If so you can try to sketch a few ideas and work from them. If you want a "procedural" way to generate a fursona, you could try something like this: you find the species, you find characteristics (the things that are going to stand out), fur color, tattoos,and the rest. You can also work on your fursona personality
2)If you're into reading ,I would recommend checking out wikifur. It contains definitions of all the terms that you need. There are dozens of ways to be involved in this fandom, you can write stories, draw , create music, create fursuits... or simply watch what other people do.
3)In this forum, you can actually do quite a lot. You can discuss fursuit making, do roleplay, discuss about art, request commissions(free and paid),discuss about random topics. As long as your post is "in topic" and respectful of others, it's probably not going to break the rules.

Hope this helped and enjoy your stay.

SophieGreyWolf

Hello and welcome to the forums!

To answer your questions:

1) There's no actual rule on how to make a fursona. Come up with a character that you enjoy and that's original(or not).Can you draw? If so you can try to sketch a few ideas and work from them. If you want a "procedural" way to generate a fursona, you could try something like this: you find the species, you find characteristics (the things that are going to stand out), fur color, tattoos,and the rest. You can also work on your fursona personality
2)If you're into reading ,I would recommend checking out wikifur. It contains definitions of all the terms that you need. There are dozens of ways to be involved in this fandom, you can write stories, draw , create music, create fursuits... or simply watch what other people do.
3)In this forum, you can actually do quite a lot. You can discuss fursuit making, do roleplay, discuss about art, request commissions(free and paid),discuss about random topics. As long as your post is "in topic" and respectful of others, it's probably not going to break the rules.

Hope this helped and enjoy your stay.

Thank you :)
I know there's no "wrong" way but I'm starting at level 0 and want to jump into this as quick as possible! I like a lot of different creatures. I guess I should experiment and see what I feel fits me best. I've loved wolves for 18 years. That seems like a good place to start.
I love reading and collecting facts. I love wikis. I didn't know there was one for this. Yay!
I should just relax and have fun, shouldn't I? Yeah I'll try that.

I can write better than I can draw...I'd like to work on my art skills but I'm impatient. I get frustrated when my hand disobeys my brain.

(Anyone want to help me on the art front once I have my idea down?)

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
1. Do not ever use an OC generator. That's how you end up with what is called a "sparkle dog", or a sight so terrifying you'd want to gouge your eyeballs out. With boxing gloves. On the moon. My recommendation would be to simply think about what species your Fursona should be. Go do some poking around, looking at Fursonas and the like, designs, etc. You might find something that makes you go "That's it! That's the species my Fursona is going to be!".
2. Be open-minded. Be it on opinions, fetishes or other horr- err, I mean, unique things you might find. But most of all: Have fun. This is nothing but a fandom. The only thing we have in common is our interest in anthropomorphic animals.
3. It's just like any forum, but try to keep it to PG-13, not much swearing.
4. I would recommend reading the Terms and Rules at the top of the forum. They are short and an easy read.

Also: Welcome to the forums, darlin'.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

SophieGreyWolf

1. Do not ever use an OC generator. That's how you end up with what is called a "sparkle dog", or a sight so terrifying you'd want to gouge your eyeballs out. With boxing gloves. On the moon. My recommendation would be to simply think about what species your Fursona should be. Go do some poking around, looking at Fursonas and the like, designs, etc. You might find something that makes you go "That's it! That's the species my Fursona is going to be!".
2. Be open-minded. Be it on opinions, fetishes or other horr- err, I mean, unique things you might find. But most of all: Have fun. This is nothing but a fandom. The only thing we have in common is our interest in anthropomorphic animals.
3. It's just like any forum, but try to keep it to PG-13, not much swearing.
4. I would recommend reading the Terms and Rules at the top of the forum. They are short and an easy read.

Also: Welcome to the forums, darlin'.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Thank you :3
I haven't heard of an OC generator, so I doubt I'd use one.
I just get caught up in details and find myself tripping over my ideas. So far I'm feeling like wolf makes sense for me, but I don't want to feel limited so I'll keep thinking about it.
I'm open to just about everything reasonable. Even if I don't like something, I try not to upset anybody who does. I just want to have fun. So I think I will!
I don't really do forums, because until recently I've sort of had a crippling lack of confidence, but here I am now! And I'll treat every post like my Grandmother will read it.
I read the rules, I just feel the need to confirm things because...I don't know.

I can always create multiple fursonas I suppose. Maybe a wolf with owl wings to start... There's a lot of creatures I love, but I don't think all of them click with who I am.
Well, I'll keep exploring. And creating characters until I find one I'd like to be.

I have 54 trillion cookies. Take as many as you like.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
You don't have to limit yourself to a single Fursona. Many have several Fursonas, all completely different.

Personally though I am sticking with one Fursona as I don't feel I need any more Fursonas.

54 trillion cookies?! YAY! <3

House must be full. o.o

SophieGreyWolf

You don't have to limit yourself to a single Fursona. Many have several Fursonas, all completely different.

Personally though I am sticking with one Fursona as I don't feel I need any more Fursonas.

54 trillion cookies?! YAY! <3

House must be full. o.o

I play Cookie Clicker -_- it's dumb but it's fun.
Well, I'm unleashing the floodwaters of my imagination. If more than one fursona spill out, fine :)

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
I play Cookie Clicker -_- it's dumb but it's fun.
Well, I'm unleashing the floodwaters of my imagination. If more than one fursona spill out, fine :)
Hehehe, good.

SophieGreyWolf

Okay, I've settled on a maned wolf with red panda feet and tail, and barn owl wings. Art and other details still in the works. I'm not an artist.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

I would highly suggest not wasting your time with a degree as useless as that since that chances to find work are next to none.

Royn

Otterest Sergal evah!
wow you guys! Sooo much bla bla blaaah!
ONE. Make it furry.
TWO. Just be in a big furry all the time.
THREE. Be Furry!
See how simple that is?

Xaroin

THE ONE THE ONLY
I wanted mine to be an ice dragon, my favorite color's green, and I still wanted a way for mine to have some form of fire. So I went with becoming an ice dragon pyromancer. You can do whatever you want. If you like dragons (like me) but don't want to be purely dragon, then go with other animals you like and put their traits in somewhere.

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
Hello hello!!

Fursona wise it's normal to go through a few before finding one you really click with. You can make it a digital copy of yourself or a character you play online. There's no rules.

SophieGreyWolf

I wanted mine to be an ice dragon, my favorite color's green, and I still wanted a way for mine to have some form of fire. So I went with becoming an ice dragon pyromancer. You can do whatever you want. If you like dragons (like me) but don't want to be purely dragon, then go with other animals you like and put their traits in somewhere.

I LOVE dragons. But I don't feel like a dragon. There's a lot of animals that I love, but I don't click with all of them. I'd rather be friends with a dragon.

SophieGreyWolf

Hello hello!!

Fursona wise it's normal to go through a few before finding one you really click with. You can make it a digital copy of yourself or a character you play online. There's no rules.

Well I have some things figured out now. I've always love canines and bird wings, so it makes sense for me to be a winged canine. Still working on the details though, like a name and how similar she will be to the real me.