• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Nintendo Sucks

I'm going to link 3 videos from the same creator who summarizes some recent happenings more succinctly than I could. The titles explain enough, but this iceberg could sink the Eisenhower. So I ask that you watch them to really get the full picture of what's going on here if you aren't already aware of the shitstorm that took place last month into now.

The more things change, the more things stay the same. Does anyone here remember in the 80's and 90's when Nintendo would attempt to monopolize the console market? They'd threaten large retailers like Toys'R'Us and EBGames with inventory shortages on the holidays if they sold competing, but less popular games. They put ludicrous manufacturing restrictions on third parties forcing companies like Konami to make expensive shell organizations like Ultra to circumvent their chokehold practices. They jacked up their SNES prices to astronomical levels just because they could.

Then Sega and Sony come along to slap them in the mouth with Sonic and Crash forcing them to check themselves. And lawmakers took notice and said "Hey Nintendo, maybe don't be total assholes. Maybe chill with the faux Yakuza shit."

Show of hands: who remembers that? Because I do. And I'm reminded of all this because it looks like big bully Nintendo is back and they have a whole new target.
Us.

And even after all of this, they're still not done! Just last night, we have this...

Glad my Switch is a paperweight. Don't care for any of the boring ass games for it and I'm not excited for jack shit they have coming. Good because I don't think I'm in much mood to buy Nintendo stuff right now.

Last edited:

Trevorbluesquirrel

Nintendo has done some questionable and unfortunate things yes, but it is protective of its copyright, much like Disney!

3rd party controllers for the Sega, Ps1, etc., rarely feature the game maker's name on the controller for that reason!

I think it really started back with the unlicensed NES game makers mostly producing subpar games!

People are still making cartridge hacks though!

Also, Nintendo allowed Phillips to make games of their IP's, and look how that turned out!

Has anyone played any of these!?

15 Amazing Fan Games Nintendo Didn't Want the World to See - Wow Gallery | eBaum's World

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
much like Disney
being the disney of video games isn't a good thing lol
Disney is kinda awful too. Like they COULD turn a blind eye to some of these things or even support it; SEGA supports fanworks a lot as an example.
Also, Nintendo allowed Phillips to make games of their IP's, and look how that turned out!

Has anyone played any of these!?
Actually yes! A fan recently remade the Zelda CDi games to be playable on Windows PC.
The animation for the games is kinda charming, even if it is really goofy to look at. Music isn't bad either. Gameplay sucks donkey balls though lmao. You can't tell what's a platform and what isn't and enemies will spawn in front of you as you walk

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Recently, it seems as if companies responsible for creating childhood-defining media have turned out to be horrible, but if we're being real, we shouldn't expect anything better from mega-corporations. Disney's uninspired, cash-grab remakes have made me extremely hesitant to support them again. I feel the same way about Nintendo after hearing how defensive they are of their intellectual properties, I mean, we're talking about NON-PROFIT works here for crying out loud! Their fans are making projects out of love for games that inspired millions and honouring the memory of Etika (and the money's going towards a good cause). Yet they act callously and without any respect.
Fuck Nintendo. I don't care if they have a legal right to do this. Legal doesn't mean morally correct.
I wouldn't usually say something like that on here, but this sickens me to no end.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
The difference is, Nintendo can still make good games. Disney can't make good movies anymore.

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Companies are not your friend, and never really will be. You're fooling yourself if you think that.

AAA publishers/developers are going the way of the dodo, and the Indie markets are quickly taking over where there's been very little creativity for many years.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Nintendo will kill their brand on their own.
It's gonna go the way of Konami, Ubisoft, EA, etc etc.

Or it will if they keep going the way they are.

Stratelier

I mean, we're talking about NON-PROFIT works here for crying out loud! Their fans are making projects out of love for games that inspired millions and honouring the memory of Etika (and the money's going towards a good cause). Yet they act callously and without any respect.
You don't have to like the status quo, but:

1 - Legally speaking, a "cease and desist" notice IS respect (i.e. the alternative is a lawsuit, the cost of which naturally favors the "big fish" in the pond);
2 - The Switch logo isn't just copyrighted, it's also trademarked (as is the name "Joy-con") and unlike copyrights, trademarks have no analogue for Fair Use;
3 - Non-profit or otherwise they were still creating and offering a for-sale product with a Nintendo Switch logo (their trademark) on it.

Now I agree that it looks like a good cause, and who knows if they would have received permission if they actually had asked first. Etika used "Joycon Boyz" as a catchphrase on his channel, and people who remember him will associate the phrase with him, but that's actually part of the problem: legally the Joycon name just wasn't his to co-opt.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
All Nintendo does is punch down.
It's obvious Nintendo doesn't give a crap about their gamers.
All this "they're protecting their IP" malarkey is sickening.
These people aren't stealing code or making bootlegs. They're fans who want to enjoy games and celebrate their legacy.
But nah. Nintendo has always been like this. They fought and lost against emulation long ago and they're always looking for an excuse to lord over the community.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Want to add because I forgot this in the OP but they went the full Apple route when it came to joycon drifting. You know, the inarguable defect in their already horrible new standard controller.

They blamed it on consumers. The problem has not been addressed still.
"JoYCoN DRifT isNt A rEaL pRObLem"
My own joycons suffer this x.x
A qtip and some alcohol helped a bit but if I try to play Animal Crossing in handheld mode I'm frequently greeted with my character trying to dig in the opposite direction I tell them to thanks to it.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
It's literally the reason I never bought one.
I get told "just use a third party controller"
Nah. I shouldn't have to. Product should work out of the box as intended and last. Ever since what's his face died, Nintendo's build quality went to shit.
Remember when Nintendo rigorously tested every product they made by dropping it multiple times from 4 feet to simulate a child dropping it?
Remember that Game Boy that survived a bomb and can still play Tetris to this day?

Long gone those days.

"JoYCoN DRifT isNt A rEaL pRObLem"
My own joycons suffer this x.x
A qtip and some alcohol helped a bit but if I try to play Animal Crossing in handheld mode I'm frequently greeted with my character trying to dig in the opposite direction I tell them to thanks to it.

Mine started drifting literally 4 months after I got my Switch. I only played Thunder Force 4. My 360 controller from 2007gives me no problems. I have never had to open it. It has seen Rivals of Aether, Call of Duty, SSF4, SkullGirls, UMvC3, tons of bullet Hell, Sonic speedrunning, and hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing hundreds of games across my 360 and 5 computers over the last 13 years.

And that's only one of the pads that haven't failed me.

Tendo64

Siamese Weeb
Fuck Nintendo. I don't care if they have a legal right to do this. Legal doesn't mean morally correct.
Friendly reminder it used to be legal to own slaves in several places
This obviously isn't as serious but it still shows the "legal = morally right" mentality is bs

Stratelier

These people aren't stealing code or making bootlegs.

Emulators aren't as much about the emulation code itself but that they don't (and in some cases can't) run an actual authorized copy/installation of the game directly, instead requiring an intermediate copy ("ROM") of the game. (And even when they can, the fact that consoles are closed platforms is a formidable opponent; just look at what happened to Bleem)

And as painful as it is to admit, all fan projects using a different IP are bootlegs, by definition.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Emulators aren't as much about the emulation code itself but that they don't (and in some cases can't) run an actual authorized copy/installation of the game directly, instead requiring an intermediate copy ("ROM") of the game. (And even when they can, the fact that consoles are closed platforms is a formidable opponent; just look at what happened to Bleem)

And as painful as it is to admit, all fan projects using a different IP are bootlegs, by definition.
Fan projects that make no money and are therefore no threat to Nintendo.
But we still have a ton of Chinese consoles being sold on Amazon that contain original code from non-abandonware Nintendo titles.

By the way, Bleem won and only had to close because Nintendo refused to give product to stores that also sold Bleem software.
Nintendo was and is still a very, very petty company.

It's indefensible.

Eremurus

live long, and prosper
Nintendo is a succubus. There's nothing redeeming about that company.

Their games suck. Their hardware sucks. Their netcode sucks. And lastly, their PR & customer service suck.

Corporate ghouls in business suits. All the competitive Smash community has EVER done is give Nintendo FREE advertising & marketing, while asking for nothing in return, and what does Nintendo do?

Shit all over us, repeatedly, since even the MLG and Evo 2013 days.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
This genuinely upsets me, considering that like most kids I grew up with Nintendo. And, I still think Nintendo makes great games, though I don't think they still hold that same universal appeal they used to. The whole shutdown of Slippi, along with cancelling the Splatoon tournament right after, then on top of that cracking down on a charity for selling joycon skins, it's like, cartoonishly evil. It's cartoon villainy levels of scummy.

To be entirely fair, I understand Nintendo not wanting to associate their family friendly image with Esports, I get that. With the amount of loud room temp IQ e sports players screaming obscenities for somebody beating them in a video game, let alone, the growing trend of smash players understanding a novels worth of character combos yet failing to understand the basic fundamentals on how to wash the thick layer of oil off their body or even understanding how basic hygiene works. I can almost understand them not liking esports much.

What I don't get is targeting re uploads of their music on YouTube that aren't monetized or shutting down a charity operations despite much larger operations making profit off the same concept.

They deserve the backlash and the worse things that will inevitably follow.

Last edited:

Trevorbluesquirrel

Disney is kinda awful too. Like they COULD turn a blind eye to some of these things or even support it; SEGA supports fanworks a lot as an example.

Actually yes! A fan recently remade the Zelda CDi games to be playable on Windows PC.
The animation for the games is kinda charming, even if it is really goofy to look at. Music isn't bad either. Gameplay sucks donkey balls though lmao. You can't tell what's a platform and what isn't and enemies will spawn in front of you as you walk

I was actually referring to my link at the bottom of my post!

Thanks for your link though, could have been fun, but seems he pulled them!

Stratelier

Fan projects that make no money and are therefore no threat to Nintendo.
For sure, what you do on your own time as a hobby is your own responsibility, and so long as you keep it under a "what happens in Vegas" type rule, nobody's the wiser. BUT "threat" isn't always about the presence of any profit, and Nintendo has a well-known interest in defending their desired brand image. So if one of your fan hobbies goes viral on the Internet, that exclamation mark you will hear isn't necessarily coming from MGS....

And China, while an obvious example isn't necessarily a great one given they are officially immune to foreign IP laws.

Last edited:

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
This is when I wish SMT 5, the only game I'm really looking forward to on the system, could be released on ANY OTHER PLATFORM besides the Switch. (And it's not even first-party, so they could do it!) And also why I'm glad I finished getting everything I ever wanted on the 3DS (since I don't know when that eShop is closing).

I've become increasingly reluctant to get any new consoles since I don't live in the right areas for hardcore console gamers (I'm too isolated here) and because of the fiasco I had with the PS3. I was never much of a Smash player even back in the N64 days and I never bothered with the WiiU. What these companies really need to realize is... the days of stranglehold control are LONG over.

They can't keep a hold on us forever. So many companies have already made that mistake.

.....and regarding the whole Phillips thing, one run-in with a third-party (Animation Magic, the people behind MOST of the CD-i titles in general and one PC edutainment/FPS game... who apparently brought over Russian animators for at least the Zelda stuff, and right after the Cold War no less. THIS is how those memes came about) is no excuse for them to not try again. There are PLENTY of people that could make an innovative and quality title with Nintendo's IPs now.

Meta_Tiara

I have a love-hate relationship with Nintendo. I still think it’s a good software company overall despite the baffling decisions that have gone into their most recent games, most notably with Animal Crossing: New Horizons and stuff like having to craft fish bait one by one and how you still can’t upgrade the shop past it’s second stage even though it has been nearly nine months. It’s their overzealous attitudes about protecting their ips is what’s especially bad.

This link is relevant: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nintendo-roms-emulator-loveroms-loveretro-lawsuit