• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

No One That Matters Cares if You're a Furry

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I'm a fan of getting your shit together, and I honestly do think more furries could stand to do exactly that----but, I also think a lot of non-furries could stand to do the same, because not having one's shit together isn't strictly a furry problem, of course.

Obviously, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to indulge in fantasy and escapism, participate in a community, or indulge in an interest, passion, or hobby. I think it's also important to remember that squeaky wheels often get the grease, so to speak, so we may overlook or not notice the people who are boringly competent and together. (Naturally, it also matters how we define "having one's shit together." Does it entail being gainfully employed? Academically successful? Able to maintain a household? Hygienic? Socially competent? Psychologically or emotionally stable, mature, or well-adjusted, according to some metric? Is it enough to check off boxes, or must one exceed the usual expectations? Some or all of the above? Something else?)

I think it behooves us to ask ourselves why so many furries don't seem to have their shit together, and what the deeper factors and common denominators are there, because just liking animal-people isn't the problem from my POV. (And I might have some hypotheses in a pinch.)

Last edited:

quoting_mungo

I can say with quite a bit of confidence that furry fandom is very low on the list of things that may have contributed to me not being in the kind of life situation I would wish to be in at this point in my life.

Like, sure, I don’t have all my shit together. 90% of that is probably mental health issues (possibly at this point also long COVID, but I will likely never know on that count). There’s been one singular event involving furry fandom that may have fucked with my mental health in any significant, lasting way. And most of the long-term effects of that seem to be mostly isolated to, specifically, my interactions with fandom. Not exactly world-changing in the grand scheme of things.

But, like… there’s also the issue of… how do I put it? Be careful that you’re not applying your own life goals/aspirations to others. Let’s say I did have my life together in the way I would want it. Some people would scoff because I’d probably be working a “dead end” job with little to no career opportunities. That’s not me not having my shit together, that’s me wanting different shit than you do.

I do know that people going out of their way to be nasty on furry forums aren’t what’s going to sort out my depression, anxiety, and the crud that’s accumulated in the corners of my brain over a decade or more of both. I don’t think “furries are losers” is exactly a strong motivator for anyone here.

Last edited:

reptile logic

An imposter among aliens.
Was going to write something meaningful here, decided not to, then decided that I was going to write that I decided not to write something meaningful, here. Ya know what I mean, or am I just bein' mean?

This message is for no one that matters, and everyone who doesn't. Replies to this message of mine are meaningless, but that's never stopped the mean from meaning what they mean.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Was going to write something meaningful here, decided not to, then decided that I was going to write that I decided not to write something meaningful, here. Ya know what I mean, or am I just bein' mean?

This message is for no one that matters, and everyone who doesn't. Replies to this message of mine are meaningless, but that's never stopped the mean from meaning what they mean.
hmmm yes htis is ver meanfingful. i agree whaever ever it is.

**hugs*

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
This a response I, actually, like and resonates. I said goodbye to being a furry a while ago. The, "Sure, see ya!" is kind of implied. Like I mentioned just above, I'm not really here on all that frequent a basis. I feel that the ways my leaving the fandom have helped me heal and grow have not been in ways most furries would like. Basically, at the end of it, I came to a low point and a crossroads in life where I had to contrast the social and political values of furries that led to an absence of lives, family skills, and legacies to the social and political values of the people that led to lives, family skills, and legacies. The latter being people that furries have always derided. I didn't like how badly the furries lost.

I thought I could maybe help a group I once closely was a part of. But, as a furry, you might've guessed how furry fantasy crowd reacted to the idea of "get your shit together", even when presented as something fun and rewarding. I found ALL -- yes, ALL, 100% -- of furries I interacted with were content to drool at a screen at a fantasy. So, I had to say, "Hey, I might not like what the fundies have to say, but they have functional lives and end up with homes and families rather than lonely apartments and menial jobs to pay for paywall subscriptions". And brutally stating how lowly and wretchedly where furry culture led its own people outside the Internet was the worst. And I had to make a judgement and decision. And I made that call.

I don't like my new worldview, granted by tough love friends, but I'm being shown the difference between success and failure repeatedly. It's really best that Furry remains just a hobby. Or, for others, discarded in the trash.

I do want to thank you for at least a modicum of kindness. That's the first first time I've encountered that. Doesn't in anyway offset my well-formed conclusions about this culture of self-neglect, but it's noted. Thank you.

I am not convinced that your offer of 'help' to people is altruistic.
I think you are trying to persuade yourself that you can take comfort in the knowledge that there is somebody beneath you in the social hierarchy.

This is what makes me believe your offer for help might actually be a request for it.
Because, obviously, whatever has happened in your life has lead you here- browsing random internet boards, full of people you claim to despise, trying to convince them about how much better you believe you are than them- even returning multiple times to quote posting statstics to try to prove to them that you're not obsessed with them.

What do you want in life, Ferretsage? Whose company would make you happy and what is preventing you from pursuing that happiness?

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
This a response I, actually, like and resonates. I said goodbye to being a furry a while ago. The, "Sure, see ya!" is kind of implied. Like I mentioned just above, I'm not really here on all that frequent a basis. I feel that the ways my leaving the fandom have helped me heal and grow have not been in ways most furries would like. Basically, at the end of it, I came to a low point and a crossroads in life where I had to contrast the social and political values of furries that led to an absence of lives, family skills, and legacies to the social and political values of the people that led to lives, family skills, and legacies. The latter being people that furries have always derided. I didn't like how badly the furries lost.

I thought I could maybe help a group I once closely was a part of. But, as a furry, you might've guessed how furry fantasy crowd reacted to the idea of "get your shit together", even when presented as something fun and rewarding. I found ALL -- yes, ALL, 100% -- of furries I interacted with were content to drool at a screen at a fantasy. So, I had to say, "Hey, I might not like what the fundies have to say, but they have functional lives and end up with homes and families rather than lonely apartments and menial jobs to pay for paywall subscriptions". And brutally stating how lowly and wretchedly where furry culture led its own people outside the Internet was the worst. And I had to make a judgement and decision. And I made that call.
I'm not sure how extensive your interactions within the fandom are, to say that 100% of the furries you've known were "content to drool at a screen at a fantasy."

The only thing 100% of the furries I've known have had in common, is that they have some level of interest in animals as characters.

Beyond that, their preferences for art and music and entertainment and "fantasy" are vastly different.

Many of us exist as completely functional adults, with meaningful and healthy friendships and adult relationships, higher education or experience in skilled trades, careers, homes, hobbies and interests that aren't even related to the furry fandom.

I'm sorry that your personal experiences in the fandom came from surrounding yourself with those you deem "failure" of society, but people like what you describe certainly aren't exclusive to the furry fandom, or any "fandom." Are there furries who spend their money on art, fursuits, and travel to cons when they can barely make rent payments? Yes, I'm sure there are. Just as there are sports fans who buy season tickets for their favorite team while the car they rely on to get to work is about to break down. People make bad decisions sometimes, when it comes to their passions.

If you decided that your personal life goals and ambitions were being limited by the people you associated with, I congratulate you for recognizing that and moving on to find people more aligned with your mindset. Sometimes it's something you have to do to be happy in life. Sometimes friends just drift apart, finding they no longer have as much in common as they used to.

Judge Spear

b8c176a3aa11cd8ad1090568af19931b.png

I simply ask that when this is inevitably locked, a mod stickies it to be seen by the furries of a distant age. Since, as mentioned, the other one Mentova made years ago was unstickied for some godforsaken, likely stupid as fuck reason.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
@Judge Spear

Why take this so seriously anyway though?
Broadly it's only the occasional teenager who comes here and feels worried about whether their pastor discovers they are furry.

and I think we can just laugh at that situation and tell them it's no big deal, and that's fine.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I am not convinced that your offer of 'help' to people is altruistic.
I think you are trying to persuade yourself that you can take comfort in the knowledge that there is somebody beneath you in the social hierarchy.

This is what makes me believe your offer for help might actually be a request for it.
Because, obviously, whatever has happened in your life has lead you here- browsing random internet boards, full of people you claim to despise, trying to convince them about how much better you believe you are than them- even returning multiple times to quote posting statstics to try to prove to them that you're not obsessed with them.

What do you want in life, Ferretsage? Whose company would make you happy and what is preventing you from pursuing that happiness?

Aye.

I could see going back into the slums and the brothels to preach to the unconverted (so to speak) because you genuinely care about their welfare, or because you will win brownie points in some form for "winning" those souls.

Otherwise, making a point to go back to one's high school reunion or crummy small town to show off how much better you are now always indicates the presence of old wounds, unresolved traumas, and/or deep-seated insecurities that are keeping a person tethered to that past, such that they need to seek reactions or approval from those other supposedly-inferior or supposedly-irrelevant people. Granted this sort of "ritual" can sometimes help a person to gain essential and healthy closure, so it's not necessarily a bad thing--but, if a person keeps looping back again and again to their old haunts to gloat, sneer, leer, or proselytize, it signals to me at least that they haven't yet gotten that closure, for whatever reason.

On another note, I reckon people being content to drool over a fantasy on a screen obviously describes more than just furries, and arguably points to a deeper problem inherent in our society and/or human nature itself.

Last edited:

Judge Spear

Taking it seriously would be me arguing in the thread and being overly defensive. But I just posted the OP and left it until now.
I've had thoughts about this off and on because it's common beyond this forum in my experience. I just saw a few threads here at the time of typing it that spurred me to say something.

I care enough to do that obviously, but it's not causing me sleep costing grief or anguish.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
So, anyone catch the game last night?

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
Why take this so seriously anyway though?
Broadly it's only the occasional teenager who comes here and feels worried about whether their pastor discovers they are furry.

and I think we can just laugh at that situation and tell them it's no big deal, and that's fine.
Hmm.... I'm not so sure that "coming out" should necessarily be mocked or "laughed at" by people simply bacause some others (out there) may find the notion of coming out as a Fur somewhat "cringe worthy".

As I mentioned earlier, IMO: there are those out there who often times take it "up a notch" and in turn regard their Furry-ness as not only a hobby, but also - a part of their holistic identity; (meaning): it often times "makes up" a part of who they are as people, they feel. And so..... the mockery from others, or - the diminishing of the importance of it, (many of us will say) on the other hand - isn't really necessary; when it's an important enough of an issue for someone to feel they need to do that for themselves.

And so, while it may seem like a facially trivial issue... for some others it's important, and so - *regardless* of what others in the fandom's reaction may be, it's a process that many of us also feel, (like myself) that should, at the very least, be respected..... if for anything, respect towards that other person who feels they need to do that for themselves.

And in regards to teenagers, this is especially so - as those types of folks are dealing with an enormous amount of issues already at that age; and thus - minimizing the importance of them "coming out" could in turn contribute (in a negative way) to their mental well being. And that helps no one...... even though the recipient may feel it's cringy or a joke.
----------------------------------
My posting here sums up (I think) well, what many of us feel, on this type of issue:
Or... they may simply like you too much as a person, to really care about any of your perceived "shortcomings" (they may hold) in drawing these sorts of things.... and in that case, they're great friends to have and to keep. ☺

@Judge Spear Well..... yeah - it is just a hobby and an interest, many of us will agree with you there...... *but* there are some people (out there) who also consider it more than "just a hobby" - for any number of reasons.... be it: personal growth and development, personal interests (as a lifestyle), or even... as a part of their sexual orientation.... and thus - they believe that being a Furry is a part of their "holistic identity"..... and in turn - it's more than just a hobby for them; it's a part of who they are as people..... which in turn is something they want to divulge and "come out to" others about.

Many Furs don't do this for shock, for awe, or for being intentionally "weird" with people.... many say they do it simply to be honest; to be "proud" of who they are, and (most importantly): to be un-apologetic for these interests and the identity that comes with it - that some others in the larger community may take issue with... (like the types you mentioned above).

It's certainly debateable...... whether a so-called "coming out" is really necessary in any way; and yes - most loved ones of ours won't care too much about it anyway probably..... (unless one is living in a non-accepting, and semi-hostile environment)..... and in those cases - coming out is strongly discouraged by many in the community, if for anything: that person's own safety.

But.... for those who can, and who feel they may need to do it for themselves - seeing that it may be beneficial for them, then.... I think we should just say "so be it" - and just let them do so without criticisms.
----------------------------
I've had thoughts about this off and on because it's common beyond this forum in my experience. I just saw a few threads here at the time of typing it that spurred me to say something.

I care enough to do that obviously, but it's not causing me sleep costing grief or anguish.
Well.... I for one, am glad you brought it up....... as it's often times threads like these that gets people to think, about issues they probably didn't think about before.

quoting_mungo

Hmm.... I'm not so sure that "coming out" should necessarily be mocked or "laughed at" by people simply bacause some others (out there) may find the notion of coming out as a Fur somewhat "cringe worthy".

As I mentioned earlier, IMO: there are those out there who often times take it "up a notch" and in turn regard their Furry-ness as not only a hobby, but also - a part of their holistic identity; (meaning): it often times "makes up" a part of who they are as people, they feel. And so..... the mockery from others, or - the diminishing of the importance of it, (many of us will say) on the other hand - isn't really necessary; when it's an important enough of an issue for someone to feel they need to do that for themselves.

And so, while it may seem like a facially trivial issue... for some others it's important, and so - *regardless* of what others in the fandom's reaction may be, it's a process that many of us also feel, (like myself) that should, at the very least, be respected..... if for anything, respect towards that other person who feels they need to do that for themselves.

And in regards to teenagers, this is especially so - as those types of folks are dealing with an enormous amount of issues already at that age; and thus - minimizing the importance of them "coming out" could in turn contribute (in a negative way) to their mental well being. And that helps no one...... even though the recipient may feel it's cringy or a joke.
It's more about whether coming out about a hobby is necessary in a broader sense. A lot of people take on identity labels associated with hobbies they're passionate about; "hobby" isn't a pejorative. By making it a "coming out" gravity issue, you may instead prime the recipient to read more into it than there really is - it indicates that you're anticipating a negative reaction and/or feel that it's something to feel ashamed about. I think "coming out" and being rejected because you anticipated rejection and the recipient perceived that is a lot more damaging to one's mental health than being told by older, more experienced furries that it's really not necessary to make such a big deal of it.

And that's like 90% of the advice I see being given. Unless you have solid reason to believe you'll face violence or get kicked out on the street over it, just continue to do your hobby and neither make a point of telling people nor make a point of hiding it. No one is engaging in open mockery; what @Fallowfox was most likely referring to was the kind of chuckling to oneself that more experienced people can do when they see the same situation happening with new actors on a regular basis, not "ha ha, you silly kid, you're being ridiculous."

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
It's more about whether coming out about a hobby is necessary in a broader sense.
Well, as I said above, it's certainly debateable on whether it is or not....... and that's probably in the eye of the beholder. But, (based on your reply) it's *sounding like* my posting may be taken as a criticism...... and for the record - I'm not criticizing anyone specifically, and I'm not mocking someone else's (potential) mockery.

I'm merely pointing out that it *is* an important enough issue for some people to feel that they need to do this with others..... and so, even if the recipient (with whom they're coming out to) may feel it's a "cringe worthy" topic to hear about, or.... they feel it's a joke.... or, they feel it's not important enough for them to do this..... (on the flip side of that): for the person that's doing it - it is important enough..... and so, out of simple respect for the person who's coming out, if the recipient has any concern for the well-being of the person that's telling them this, then..... (there are many of us who will say): at least "humor it" enough so that this person's emotional well-being is taken into consideration.

A lot of people take on identity labels associated with hobbies they're passionate about; "hobby" isn't a pejorative. By making it a "coming out" gravity issue, you may instead prime the recipient to read more into it than there really is - it indicates that you're anticipating a negative reaction and/or feel that it's something to feel ashamed about.
Well no, it's not a pejorative..... but for those out there that take it up another level whom regard it as a part of their "holistic identity" (as I wrote above), the term "hobby" isn't really appropriate.... as it's much more to them than just that. It's a part of who they are as people....... basket weaving (for example) would be a "hobby", whilst being a Furry is an *identity* for some..... and to equate one level of extracurricular interest with an identity characteristic is not really accurate, isn't appropriate, and (dare I say) - could even be considered offensive (to some).

I think "coming out" and being rejected because you anticipated rejection and the recipient perceived that is a lot more damaging to one's mental health than being told by older, more experienced furries that it's really not necessary to make such a big deal of it.
Well, there's a bit of "different strokes for different folks" at work there...... for some: coming out as a Fur is an important part of their development, and an important part of their personal realizations about who they are as people.

And anticipating rejection from the general (non-Fur) public, is probably a given..... and in terms of coming out about anything (not just Furry-ness) there's always a degree of risk involved. And the person who's expressing themselves had to gather up enough courage to do so to begin with, and...... the potential for rejection was probably in their minds when they decided to do this, and thus...... they obviously felt comfortable enough to go to this person..... and so, in regards to other "more experienced Furs" as you call them - for them to be mindful of this dynamic and process, is even especially more important..... even if one may want to scoff and think this isn't personally necessary.

No one is engaging in open mockery
I never said they were.

what @Fallowfox was most likely referring to was the kind of chuckling to oneself that more experienced people can do when they see the same situation happening with new actors on a regular basis, not "ha ha, you silly kid, you're being ridiculous."
Well.... (let's be honest): it could be argued that it's still an insensitive thing to do (even if it's done privately with just people we know)..... and so, given the potential gravity of these issues that one holds, and them deciding to do this with others (that they trusted) - one should (at the very least) probably keep their amusements to themselves perhaps.... and just take into account the other person's needs that is doing this.

As an identity characteristic that someone feels is important - isn't really something to laugh about to begin with, many of us believe.

BadRoy

Snake awakens
Taking it seriously would be me arguing in the thread and being overly defensive. But I just posted the OP and left it until now.

It's one of those threads that every other newbie feels the need to make. Even years ago you'd see those "UwU Coming Out as a Fuwwy to My Pawents, Need Hewp" threads.

It doesn't make for an interesting discussion because the consensus is always "Idk dude, if you think you should then do it." It's a non-starter.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
I think the whole ‘coming out as a furry’ trend really did start with teenagers or children who have been picked on in school, for the most part. To me, that’s where I’ve seen people get judged for being a furry the most. So to say that it’s not a big deal to some would be inaccurate.

The best thing to do in this situation is to be confident in what you like! If it’s difficult to tell people about it, then simply take it one step at a time. Gradually expose your interest in the furry fandom, and once people see you’re not backing down and that having an interest in furry is harmless, I find people stop bothering you about it.

As an adult, however, I find that most furry hate is found on the internet. Outside of that, you might get passing comments of ‘that’s weird’, but they usually leave it at that. It’s very rare to find an adult in real life that’s openly outspoken against furries. Sure, you could get laughed at if you’re walking around in fursuit in public, but let’s be honest, fursuits look ridiculous. Embrace that ridiculousness! Learn humility, laugh with them instead of getting overly sensitive.

That’s all I have to say about the matter, just have confidence in what you like, and if someone doesn’t like it, just walk away. They’re not worth your time.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
Well, as I said above, it's certainly debateable on whether it is or not....... and that's probably in the eye of the beholder. But, (based on your reply) it's *sounding like* my posting may be taken as a criticism...... and for the record - I'm not criticizing anyone specifically, and I'm not mocking someone else's (potential) mockery.

I'm merely pointing out that it *is* an important enough issue for some people to feel that they need to do this with others..... and so, even if the recipient (with whom they're coming out to) may feel it's a "cringe worthy" topic to hear about, or.... they feel it's a joke.... or, they feel it's not important enough for them to do this..... (on the flip side of that): for the person that's doing it - it is important enough..... and so, out of simple respect for the person who's coming out, if the recipient has any concern for the well-being of the person that's telling them this, then..... (there are many of us who will say): at least "humor it" enough so that this person's emotional well-being is taken into consideration.

Well no, it's not a pejorative..... but for those out there that take it up another level whom regard it as a part of their "holistic identity" (as I wrote above), the term "hobby" isn't really appropriate.... as it's much more to them than just that. It's a part of who they are as people....... basket weaving (for example) would be a "hobby", whilst being a Furry is an *identity* for some..... and to equate one level of extracurricular interest with an identity characteristic is not really accurate, isn't appropriate, and (dare I say) - could even be considered offensive (to some).

Well, there's a bit of "different strokes for different folks" at work there...... for some: coming out as a Fur is an important part of their development, and an important part of their personal realizations about who they are as people.

And anticipating rejection from the general (non-Fur) public, is probably a given..... and in terms of coming out about anything (not just Furry-ness) there's always a degree of risk involved. And the person who's expressing themselves had to gather up enough courage to do so to begin with, and...... the potential for rejection was probably in their minds when they decided to do this, and thus...... they obviously felt comfortable enough to go to this person..... and so, in regards to other "more experienced Furs" as you call them - for them to be mindful of this dynamic and process, is even especially more important..... even if one may want to scoff and think this isn't personally necessary.

I never said they were.

Well.... (let's be honest): it could be argued that it's still an insensitive thing to do (even if it's done privately with just people we know)..... and so, given the potential gravity of these issues that one holds, and them deciding to do this with others (that they trusted) - one should (at the very least) probably keep their amusements to themselves perhaps.... and just take into account the other person's needs that is doing this.

As an identity characteristic that someone feels is important - isn't really something to laugh about to begin with, many of us believe.
@quoting_mungo I guess silence is golden :).... when I make good points, I must say. :p
As an adult, however, I find that most furry hate is found on the internet.
It is; which is great because you just turn it off, when needed.

quoting_mungo

@quoting_mungo I guess silence is golden :).... when I make good points, I must say. :p
I have better things to do than go over the same ground again. :p

The advantage of being a (at least moderately intelligent) social species is that you can learn not only from your own but also other people's experiences. I can't stop anyone from approaching their parents, voice shaking with trepidation, to say they're furry. I can tell them that making a big deal of it increases the risk of a negative response. It's still their choice whether they take the advice, but I reject the notion that giving the advice is, itself, in any way harmful. No matter how much "furry" is a part of your identity.

There's plenty of people who live and breathe their professional or hobbyist identities. Furries aren't unique in that regard.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
So to say that it’s not a big deal to some would be inaccurate.

**I know that you gave your two cents on this but I felt so inclined to agree that I wanted to offer mine for the newbies as well.
  • Is getting picked on in school a big deal??
  • Does any of our childhood bullying really come up passed the age of Eighteen? Or even Fifteen?
  • How did these playground bullies even find out in the first place?

I'm pretty sure after a certain age (*for me it was around senior year) everyone just stops giving a shit...about everything. You could say you believed in the flying spaghetti monster and people would just shrug or go along with it as a joke. I know that I was bullied as a preteen back when being alternative was still frowned upon and being gay was a way to be insulted instead of tokened but even then it all stopped way before I was ever an adult. I'm not saying bullying isn't bad and that we shouldn't have empathy towards those being bullied, but I do think that in hindsight...it has very little precedence to this sort of topic. Due to just how...unimportant it all winds up being in just a year or two. I dunno. Maybe I just got lucky and it all "magically" stopped when I stopped giving a shit myself, lol.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
**I know that you gave your two cents on this but I felt so inclined to agree that I wanted to offer mine for the newbies as well.
  • Is getting picked on in school a big deal??
  • Does any of our childhood bullying really come up passed the age of Eighteen? Or even Fifteen?
  • How did these playground bullies even find out in the first place?

I'm pretty sure after a certain age (*for me it was around senior year) everyone just stops giving a shit...about everything. You could say you believed in the flying spaghetti monster and people would just shrug or go along with it as a joke. I know that I was bullied as a preteen back when being alternative was still frowned upon and being gay was a way to be insulted instead of tokened but even then it all stopped way before I was ever an adult. I'm not saying bullying isn't bad and that we shouldn't have empathy towards those being bullied, but I do think that in hindsight...it has very little precedence to this sort of topic. Due to just how...unimportant it all winds up being in just a year or two. I dunno. Maybe I just got lucky and it all "magically" stopped when I stopped giving a shit myself, lol.
Agreed.
Being bullied sucks. It does. I think it's probably worse now than it was when I was a kid, because Internet/Social Media/Texting was not a "thing" then. It just wasn't. And there was never really a fine line of who would get bullied and who wouldn't. And I saw friend groups suddenly decide to reject one of their own, completely turn on them and bully them. I also saw people who were bullied in the younger grades suddenly become accepted and even popular when they were older. I don't know if there's any explanation. Kids can be horrible to each other when they think it will benefit themselves somehow. I wish I could say that school staff has finally figured out how to handle these situations, but even now I think they just overlook incidents.

Within a year of finishing high school, I had other things going on in my life and the things that happened in high school were already a distant memory. The people I was friends with, and the people I didn't get along with, just weren't in my life no matter how important I used to think they were.

Eremurus

seeker of knowledge
Real life interaction I had with a roommate/friend of mine:

*Browsing FaF*
"Oh, you're a furry?"
"Yeah."
"Cool, what's her species?"
"Oh you know, she's just a Tauren, from World of Warcraft."
"Neat."
"Thanks"

*Goes back on his computer*

I don't really know why you'd want to advertise it to random strangers, anyways. Or why you'd announce it. I do not think it is a big deal. It is not a core part of my identity, it is simply a hobby I enjoy.

But then again, I am not everybody. Some people are very expressive and extroverted. I am not. I tend to be collected and introverted.