• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Non-fur Researcher

WolfyJake

Professional Cuddlefluff
Would you suggest me heading over to the Fursona thread and asking for ideas on how to make one?
Yes, I think it would help to get others to open up more to you, and not be so defensive, agressive or cynical towards you.
It would be best to think about what you would like beforehand. What animal, what kind of patterns, that sort of thing. When you have a general idea, you could continue on to ask for pointers on how to create it, or outsource your description to an artist who can make a reference sheet or character model for you. With some general idea it will be a lot easier to create one.
For me it was really basic: Wolves are my favorite animal, Red is my favorite color. I didn't really need much more than that to get started, even though I changed the design a little a week down the line.
Creating a fursona for you is purely to improve forum based interactions with us, you could always make a survey if you're not willing to to go through the hassle of creating one. Just remember that people will be wary, and you will be less approachable when you have nothing for a profile picture.

A question that comes to mind from this: Can you approach your professors for advice on how to begin setting up an investigation of this sort, to make sure you're following accepted guidelines, and also gathering data that's as valid as possible?

Totally. My mentor will probably have more part in guiding me through this more so than my professor. My professor is trying to train senior students and also trying to teach this class, so she has us go through our assigned TAs before we go to her for questions.

SSJ3Mewtwo

I have CITI training, does that kind of help?

Also, there is a very small group in my area that I've done a little bit of research with before. I think it's becoming inactive though - many members who organized events and lead the furry community in my area have left. The activity on the Facebook group they have, which I've been following for about half a year, is not very active.

I'm not familiar with CITI's practices, so I can't help there. I've participated in informational and medical studies at the National Institutes of Health.

I can say that I'm very familiar with the concept of 'sample size'. And focusing one's research or questions on just a select group of members of a very broad community wouldn't produce the most accurate, or even the most generalized of results. So if you're looking to gather information from a wider audience that's at least a good step in the right direction.

Yes, I think it would help to get others to open up more to you, and not be so defensive, agressive or cynical towards you.
It would be best to think about what you would like beforehand. What animal, what kind of patterns, that sort of thing. When you have a general idea, you could continue on to ask for pointers on how to create it, or outsource your description to an artist who can make a reference sheet or character model for you. With some general idea it will be a lot easier to create one.
For me it was really basic: Wolves are my favorite animal, Red is my favorite color. I didn't really need much more than that to get started, even though I changed the design a little a week down the line.
Creating a fursona is purely to improve forum based interactions with us, you could always make a survey if you're not willing to to go through the hassle of creating one. Just remember that people will be wary, and you will be less approachable when you have nothing for a profile picture.

That is actually really interesting - not having a face to go with a name makes people nervous, maybe? I'll head over tonight before I go to bed. Thanks again by the way! That was quite a concern for me.

I'm not familiar with CITI's practices, so I can't help there. I've participated in informational and medical studies at the National Institutes of Health.

I can say that I'm very familiar with the concept of 'sample size'. And focusing one's research or questions on just a select group of members of a very broad community wouldn't produce the most accurate, or even the most generalized of results. So if you're looking to gather information from a wider audience that's at least a good step in the right direction.

lol That's actually what my professor had said to me before. She actually recommended me coming here since this site seems to be pretty globally diverse as far as membership goes.

WolfyJake

Professional Cuddlefluff
That is actually really interesting - not having a face to go with a name makes people nervous, maybe? I'll head over tonight before I go to bed. Thanks again by the way! That was quite a concern for me.
Definitely, especially when it comes to media and research in general. If you are willing to go through the trouble of creating a fursona, it really shows that you can be trusted, and are not just here to mock us or misrepresent us like the faceless media.
People like the first two that posted on this thread would be less hesitant to talk with you and trust you more, and you will get far less rude or cynical responses from people like them.

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
I'd highly suggest hunting around for local meetups (Furmeets. We're very original with naming.) or conventions, and seeing if people are willing to talk or let you observe there. This forum has a lot of weird history within the fandom that- while interesting in its own right- means that the people who frequent here are not very representative of the fandom as a whole. No one place is, but I feel that in-person meets tend to have a demographic that more realistically ties in the different peoples that dwell in this weirdness.
Twitter might be a good place too, albeit it favors the more extroverted types. But there are a good amount (I'm talking *huge* amount) of furries who still use IRC's and MUCKs and linger in Second Life without ever meandering into Twitter, FA forums, Discord's, or other social media sites catering to or containing a large amount of furries. These people do, however, attend furmeets and conventions. So do a lot of "stealth mode" furries who have little to no online presence in the fandom, and only come to meets to buy art and see suiters and get up to shenanigans.

Not sure if this is helpful at all. You know better than I about the ups and downs of finding a portion of a group that well represents the whole. Good luck, have fun, and I hope the people you meet and talk to are as happy to talk as you're happy to listen. :3

Definitely, especially when it comes to media and research in general. If you are willing to go through the trouble of creating a fursona, it really shows that you can be trusted, and are not just here to mock us or misrepresent us like the faceless media.
People like the first two that posted on this thread would be less hesitant to talk with you and trust you more, and you will get far less rude or cynical responses from people like them.

I can kind of gather that now. Gah sorry, that took forever, I was doing mapping for another project. Yeah, by the way, did I handle that well? I wasn't sure how to deal with those responses.

I'd highly suggest hunting around for local meetups (Furmeets. We're very original with naming.) or conventions, and seeing if people are willing to talk or let you observe there. This forum has a lot of weird history within the fandom that- while interesting in its own right- means that the people who frequent here are not very representative of the fandom as a whole. No one place is, but I feel that in-person meets tend to have a demographic that more realistically ties in the different peoples that dwell in this weirdness.
Twitter might be a good place too, albeit it favors the more extroverted types. But there are a good amount (I'm talking *huge* amount) of furries who still use IRC's and MUCKs and linger in Second Life without ever meandering into Twitter, FA forums, Discord's, or other social media sites catering to or containing a large amount of furries. These people do, however, attend furmeets and conventions. So do a lot of "stealth mode" furries who have little to no online presence in the fandom, and only come to meets to buy art and see suiters and get up to shenanigans.

Not sure if this is helpful at all. You know better than I about the ups and downs of finding a portion of a group that well represents the whole. Good luck, have fun, and I hope the people you meet and talk to are as happy to talk as you're happy to listen. :3

Thank, that is actually helpful. I was recommended some other sites like Inkbunny, SoFurry, and FurNation, but I wasn't sure about them. Twitter seems to be very popular, so I'll go to my mentor to see if I can use it. Thank you!

WolfyJake

Professional Cuddlefluff
I can kind of gather that now. Gah sorry, that took forever, I was doing mapping for another project. Yeah, by the way, did I handle that well? I wasn't sure how to deal with those responses.
You did well, getting mad and retaliating never helps anyone.

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
Thank, that is actually helpful. I was recommended some other sites like Inkbunny, SoFurry, and FurNation, but I wasn't sure about them. Twitter seems to be very popular, so I'll go to my mentor to see if I can use it. Thank you!
Inkbunny has no real social networking possibilities, you'd be essentially cold-calling people. SoFurry is a bit more socially inclined, and I've never heard of FurNation so I don't know if I can comment on that. Livejournal might be a decent source, albeit it isn't as active as it used to be- but lots and *lots* of archived content to look through. Not sure if you exclusively need interviews or are interested in rifling through our weird minglings, but if so, Livejournal has a bunch of Furry pages ( List of furry LiveJournal communities - WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia )

WikiFur itself is a pretty decent site to poke through, and it has links to a lot of other community pages as well.

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
And a suggestion, I don't think it's necessary to make a Fursona. Just my opinion, but it seems like it comes off somewhat... hm, how to phrase this. Sorta feels like David Attenborough crouched in the bushes narrating the behaviors of the Wild and Wonderous Furries. "As you can see, the males have developed glowing markings to signify their fertility. I have donned pink lion suit to try and blend in with the pack. Now, the rare DragonCatPirahnna will approach and ask for his Twitter handle. Will he be successful? Let's watch."
While I'd find that exceptionally entertaining, the more shy and hesitant members of the community might be a little less entertained.

I think more than anything, it's offputting to have the blank default avatar on websites like this one (and twitter, and SoFurry, etc). It's just some quirk of being an internet-denizen: Default avatars are associated strongly with scammers, spammers, being with ill intentions, etc. Anything will do. An actual picture of yourself seems unnecessary- maybe something simple like the logo for your school or a symbol for your particular academic niche?

Inkbunny has no real social networking possibilities, you'd be essentially cold-calling people. SoFurry is a bit more socially inclined, and I've never heard of FurNation so I don't know if I can comment on that. Livejournal might be a decent source, albeit it isn't as active as it used to be- but lots and *lots* of archived content to look through. Not sure if you exclusively need interviews or are interested in rifling through our weird minglings, but if so, Livejournal has a bunch of Furry pages ( List of furry LiveJournal communities - WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia )

WikiFur itself is a pretty decent site to poke through, and it has links to a lot of other community pages as well.

WikiFur is pretty good - that's how I found my local group I did a preliminary project on. I'll look though LiveJournal for more "historical documents" is what my professor has called them.

And a suggestion, I don't think it's necessary to make a Fursona. Just my opinion, but it seems like it comes off somewhat... hm, how to phrase this. Sorta feels like David Attenborough crouched in the bushes narrating the behaviors of the Wild and Wonderous Furries. "As you can see, the males have developed glowing markings to signify their fertility. I have donned pink lion suit to try and blend in with the pack. Now, the rare DragonCatPirahnna will approach and ask for his Twitter handle. Will he be successful? Let's watch."
While I'd find that exceptionally entertaining, the more shy and hesitant members of the community might be a little less entertained.

I think more than anything, it's offputting to have the blank default avatar on websites like this one (and twitter, and SoFurry, etc). It's just some quirk of being an internet-denizen: Default avatars are associated strongly with scammers, spammers, being with ill intentions, etc. Anything will do. An actual picture of yourself seems unnecessary- maybe something simple like the logo for your school or a symbol for your particular academic niche?

That was kind of my worry about making a fursona. I will do it, just because I have to do something that will please my mentor and professor, unfortunately. I will make myself apparent so it's not a surprise and so I feel like I'm not lying to people. Yeah that's... that's not a real example is it? Is David Attenborough a real person?

Edit: Oh he is real you were just making a parody. Sorry, I'm very tired.

Royn

Otterest Sergal evah!
You are already an Anthropologist, and as such, already a Fur, and sorry for it! YAAY youre well on the way to full on Furryness and didnt even realize it! Youre a Science Fur, like me! Wheeeeeee! Lol science fur....

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
That was kind of my worry about making a fursona. I will do it, just because I have to do something that will please my mentor and professor, unfortunately. I will make myself apparent so it's not a surprise and so I feel like I'm not lying to people. Yeah that's... that's not a real example is it? Is David Attenborough a real person?

Edit: Oh he is real you were just making a parody. Sorry, I'm very tired.
It's okay, sleep is the trade-off for academia sometimes. I understand.

If you must make a 'sona (which, the thought of a professor asking a student to make a fursona is possibly the greatest thing I've heard all week. Thank you. ♥ ) just know that there really are not hard rules. You don't really need to come up with a fancy name, backstory, etc. Pick an animal, pretend it's bipedal, and that's... all you really have to do. And honestly, you could forgo any sort of imagery and just pick a species. Having "XXX, the otter" is a pretty common self-descriptor. Images of that specific character aren't needed.

WolfyJake

Professional Cuddlefluff

I'm not saying she should hide the fact that she's researching us, and I'm not saying she should try to blend in. I'm just saying that having a big ? makes you look kinda cold and unapproachable to some. Getting a fursona might help others open up a little and be more trusting because it shows that she made an effort to get close to us, more than a company or school logo could. I'll have a harder time trusting a big ? or the logo of a company or school than I have trusting Foxy the Sparklewolf.

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate

Sorry for not being excited to offer myself up. See, where I'm from poeple suddly wanting to be in the group are normally put up to it to infiltrate as part of hazing BS. I'm quite sick of trusting random people right off the bat.

Grace by no means do I dislike you or want you gone, I was pushing you to gauge your reaction. You have so far conducted yourself well.

So, with caution optimism, I welcome you.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

There is still no proof you are a trust worthy person. For all we know this fourm will be used a news story as further proof of our dirty existence. We have nothing to gain and much to lose in this.

And affection? In the fourms? I think we bearly manage to tolerate eachother, a third alone are just trolls.
Come on, Rant! We all love each other! Yeah, sometimes there is tension, but we are all pretty amiable.

D

Deleted member 82554

Everyone likes to get off beating it to anthropomorphic animals, and occasionally, the real thing.

There, I saved you a whole lot of research.

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
Come on, Rant! We all love each other! Yeah, sometimes there is tension, but we are all pretty amiable.
Aww I feel like giving you a high-5! In the face! :D

Eh, tension it's the word.... aggravation? The trolls, or at least the super alt right furs sure are a pain.

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
What I would like to see is how you guys interact with each other, more specifically with displays of affection. I've done preliminary research on the furry community and something that kind of caught my attention was that both research subjects I talked to stressed the importance of the affectionate nature of the community, and I wanted to know how that came to be, and what these behaviors actually are.
First of all, as a small-time media entrepreneur, I want to say forget whatever you may have read from otherwise legitimate news sources before going on. They have had a tendency to misrepresent the fandom as a whole... leading many down the path I took where one is afraid to come to terms with being a furry because the only info they have is provided by outlets which have painted us as a bunch of fetishists. Start with the basic definition: fur-ry (n) One who enjoys art involving anthropomorphic animals. From there, start asking questions and avoid "seeking" an answer.
Would you suggest me heading over to the Fursona thread and asking for ideas on how to make one?
That's a good start, just be aware that anyone who doesn't understand what you were doing might think that you ARE a furry. Also be aware that you may or may not be a furry without realizing it, and making a fursona might be how you discover a bit more about yourself (again with the personal experience).
No worries! People are just a bit hesitant after some rather unfortunate, and highly inaccurate, portrayals by the media in the past.

If you need to get in touch with the mods for their approval, try reaching out to @SSJ3Mewtwo , @Dragoneer , or @quoting_mungo (all three are definitely prominent members of the community as well)

If you could travel, furry conventions would probably be a good start. There is a really big convention in California, Further Confusion in San Jose, however the next one won't occur until next January. If you can make it to Pittsburg, Anthrocon (June 29th 2017) is the world's largest furry convention. The organizers at Anthrocon generally require approval before filming or researching, so it would be best to contact them first (Go here)
^This.^
But be careful around Anthrocon, as Uncle Kage is a force to be reckoned with. Also, speaking of Kage, stay away from him in general, if you care for having editorial power over your paper.

That's about all the advice I have for you, OP! If you have any other questions that are specific to an individual, feel free to click on their name and select "Start a Conversation" to go into DM mode! Finally, if once you create your fursona you feel unsure about something or just need support, feel free to do the same I just mentioned with me! I'm a late-night YouTube Content Creator, and as such have an audience that often is based on the other side of the planet when I often upload (in other words, I'm almost always here, so don't worry about whether you are bothering me)!

Good luck, and God Speed!