• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Non-fur Researcher

quoting_mungo

While it looks like it may not entirely relate to your specific research topic, I would also like to recommend Furry Survey - WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia as a decent source to get some basic census-type information on furry fandom. It may provide a useful background for your work.

Buuut I could be wrong, of course. My last paper was Literature, not Anthropology. Kind of a different beastie.

SSJ3Mewtwo

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
I almost forgot to share the Ancient Folk Songs of our Peoples:
Not... quite. But, it's honestly a really good little summary! And I'm sure you could do with something lighthearted after your umpteenth cup of coffee.

D

Deleted member 82554

I've seen this floating around, and I've always been a little afraid to watch it, but I'm glad I did.
Figured you'd like it. If you're serious about who you are and the study you're doing, might I suggest this. Just try not to misrepresent this culture like so many others have *cough* CSI *cough*.

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
I can't be the only one disappointed that nobody has researched us in Steve Irwin fashion. I would pay for that shit, hell I'd even get a new tv to watch Irwin track down and wrestle him a furry lol

SSJ3Mewtwo

I can't be the only one disappointed that nobody has researched us in Steve Irwin fashion. I would pay for that shit, hell I'd even get a new tv to watch Irwin track down and wrestle him a furry lol

As long as no one bites the researcher on the nose.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
As long as no one bites the researcher on the nose.

hqdefault.jpg

Shame he's gone. He was very good at introducing wild life.

Cloudyhue

Certified Fuzzbutt
What I would like to see is how you guys interact with each other, more specifically with displays of affection. I've done preliminary research on the furry community and something that kind of caught my attention was that both research subjects I talked to stressed the importance of the affectionate nature of the community, and I wanted to know how that came to be, and what these behaviors actually are.
The hug is the fury handshake. But anyway, it's pretty easy to just jump in and be accepted. There's a lot of variety in our community and you can pretty much always find a place to fit in. Most of us are pretty friendly (at least in my experience. I've definitely heard otherwise).

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
The hug is the fury handshake. But anyway, it's pretty easy to just jump in and be accepted. There's a lot of variety in our community and you can pretty much always find a place to fit in. Most of us are pretty friendly (at least in my experience. I've definitely heard otherwise).
Wait... we're in a movie featuring Brad Pitt and an M-4 Sherman Firefly?

Xaroin

THE ONE THE ONLY
So what exactly are you studying? TBH from what I've seen we're just a bunch of super nerds who like anthros because it's fun

Cloudyhue

Certified Fuzzbutt
So what exactly are you studying? TBH from what I've seen we're just a bunch of super nerds who like anthros because it's fun
Yeah basically. You need to go a little more specific.

Xaroin

THE ONE THE ONLY
Ok tbh some people do this as a means to stop feeling stress in their life. AKA yours truly, who generally likes being able to have a discussion with people into the same shit as me. It's great when you find others you can relate to. Ok ... now let's get to the kinky side that prob just has something to do with me not having any power over anything IRL b/c of over controlling parents, so Dom (what most of mine revolve around) would seem to be appealing due to me not being able to get the feeling of control over things that often. Art side I just think humans are boring to draw tbh, I like the more colorful side of the anthros (and always have loved dragons of many types, also stop mislabeling Wyverns and Dragons because they are different things) and the fact I can artistically represent myself through a different character with little nods to myself in the design is also a fun thing to do. Overall I just find it to be something that alleviates stress and gets me interaction with others on topics that generally are seen as taboo without any judgmental people saying "lol KYS furfag", calling for "furry genocide", and saying I should "burn in hell", is a "dog fucker" and all that shit that people say against me outside of it. Note this is the reason why I do the stuff and it varies from person to person, but hope I helped out with your research into furscience.
You can always ask me more

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
Ok tbh some people do this as a means to stop feeling stress in their life. AKA yours truly, who generally likes being able to have a discussion with people into the same shit as me. It's great when you find others you can relate to. Ok ... now let's get to the kinky side that prob just has something to do with me not having any power over anything IRL b/c of over controlling parents, so Dom (what most of mine revolve around) would seem to be appealing due to me not being able to get the feeling of control over things that often. Art side I just think humans are boring to draw tbh, I like the more colorful side of the anthros (and always have loved dragons of many types, also stop mislabeling Wyverns and Dragons because they are different things) and the fact I can artistically represent myself through a different character with little nods to myself in the design is also a fun thing to do. Overall I just find it to be something that alleviates stress and gets me interaction with others on topics that generally are seen as taboo without any judgmental people saying "lol KYS furfag", calling for "furry genocide", and saying I should "burn in hell", is a "dog fucker" and all that shit that people say against me outside of it. Note this is the reason why I do the stuff and it varies from person to person, but hope I helped out with your research into furscience.
You can always ask me more
^Reading^
In all honesty, in my eyes (even before I was a furry) I always believed in doing whatever floats your butt- and judgement was not mine to give. I agree, it IS great to find others you can relate to... but I REALLY could've lived another day without knowing about your fetish(es), and in all honesty I'm probably going to forget them in about 5 minutes anyway.
And honestly, if someone says Wyverns and Dragons are the same, a. they probably don't know any better; or b. they've always thought that Wyverns were a subcategory of Dragons (literally me 5 minutes ago). Now, I haven't seen anyone make any of those types of comments, but then again I'm too damn new and I've never looked for those types of comments being made, so maybe I'm just not in a position TO know about it...
Anyway, have a better day mate.