• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Non-furries, why are you here?

Liberonscien

Those of you who do not consider yourselves to be furries, why are you here?

I am personally here, among other reasons, to get ideas for a fictional world I am developing that has some furry themes.

Peach's

mathmagician
Before I crossed the threshold recently, its because I like the community, have some good friends in it, and I have a big Elf fascination. Furry artists give Elves the distinct non-human feel I like, with stuff like moving ears and a more animalistic appearance.

and then I realized elves has deer traits (for the most part, mythological elves are a bit of a hodge-podge)

Liberonscien

Before I crossed the threshold recently, its because I like the community, have some good friends in it, and I have a big Elf fascination. Furry artists give Elves the distinct non-human feel I like, with stuff like moving ears and a more animalistic appearance.

and then I realized elves has deer traits (for the most part, mythological elves are a bit of a hodge-podge)
Interesting. I was thinking a while ago that, in a way, liking furries is similar to liking elves.
Elves follow the human structure, I.e. Two arms, two legs, etc but they augment it with nonhuman traits.
Similarly, furries also follow the basic human structure and augment it with nonhuman traits.

Liberonscien

Famous last word there Custer wannabe.;):D
I mean it. I have been encouraged to pick out a fursona but no animal has ever appealed to me for longer than twenty minutes besides human.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I mean it. I have been encouraged to pick out a fursona but no animal has ever appealed to me for longer than twenty minutes besides human.
OK... Let's pick you out a fursona.
What is your personality like?
What kind of weather do you like?
What kind of environment?
What hobbies do you have?
What do you hate?
What do you like?
Do you like fur, feathers, or scales better?
What are your favorite cartoons?
This is a good start.

Go.

I am personally here, among other reasons, to get ideas for a fictional world I am developing that has some furry themes.
Some are what are known as "lurkers". Those who are curious about the fandom, but aren't ready to jump in just yet. Everybody has a lurker period. Mine was September 2016-March 2017.

Limedragon27

I agree, Elves are a lot better when they look less like humans with pointy ears and more like an actual different species.

Peach's

mathmagician
Interesting. I was thinking a while ago that, in a way, liking furries is similar to liking elves.
Elves follow the human structure, I.e. Two arms, two legs, etc but they augment it with nonhuman traits.
Similarly, furries also follow the basic human structure and augment it with nonhuman traits.

As far as roleplaying goes, I think its much more straightforward with the connections to Dragonborn, Tiflings, Gnolls, Kenku, ect; a lot of these are also modern conceptions however, (Tiflings is just demons tho). Elves are usually displayed as more human like with just pointy ears, but sometimes have horns or antlers and are more gracile than humans, if you go into Celtic and Norse stuff they get more animal like with tails.

(and also more tree connected with tree hollows on their backs that can steal your soul)

Liberonscien

OK... Let's pick you out a fursona.
What is your personality like?
What kind of weather do you like?
What kind of environment?
What hobbies do you have?
What do you hate?
What do you like?
Do you like fur, feathers, or scales better?
What are your favorite cartoons?
This is a good start.

Go.
Hmm. I am fairly introverted, fairly focused on things that catch my attention, a bit scattered on the rest. I present a cold front but can be warm on the inside.
I like warm weather.
I like both urban environments and mild nature environments, like nature just starting to reassert itself over human environments.
I read, write, plot, and scheme.
I hate ignorance and working without a purpose.
I like learning, building, and exploring. I also like learning what arouses others.
I like fur for petting and looking at but I have found that I enjoy the almost metallic structure of scales in certain scalie works.
I enjoyed Transformers. I know Rick and Morty is not the most popular thing due to the stereotypes of its fans but I do enjoy the show.

Doodle Bunny

Definitely a rabbit... 100%...

Ah! A writer doing research.

I wasn’t a non-furry for very long here, but I was drawn in by art (pun intended) and the positive ways artists were treated. Let’s face it, furry art gets a bad rap, but coming from a more informed stance it’s really imaginative and everyone has different ways of tackling the anatomy of an anthropomorphic animal.

I may have been engulfed in the fandom and embrace that part of me now, but I totally respect non-furs that want to respectfully poke around.

No pressure to fully immerse yourself.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Hmm. I am fairly introverted, fairly focused on things that catch my attention, a bit scattered on the rest. I present a cold front but can be warm on the inside.
I like warm weather.
I like both urban environments and mild nature environments, like nature just starting to reassert itself over human environments.
I read, write, plot, and scheme.
I hate ignorance and working without a purpose.
I like learning, building, and exploring. I also like learning what arouses others.
I like fur for petting and looking at but I have found that I enjoy the almost metallic structure of scales in certain scalie works.
I enjoyed Transformers. I know Rick and Morty is not the most popular thing due to the stereotypes of its fans but I do enjoy the show.

I would say your fursona is a rat or a weasel. They are relatively shy animals that thrive in warm environments. They make good pets sometimes which shows they can get along with humans when encouraged. They are naturally curious animals. Rats thrive best in urban environments and weasels thrive best in the wild. They are intelligent and explorative. Rick was once called Solenya... part rat, part pickle. A Furry rat called "Solenya" (Russian for pickles) would be hilarious.

Last edited:

Liberonscien

Ah! A writer doing research.

I wasn’t a non-furry for very long here, but I was drawn in by art (pun intended) and the positive ways artists were treated. Let’s face it, furry art gets a bad rap, but coming from a more informed stance it’s really imaginative and everyone has different ways of tackling the anatomy of an anthropomorphic animal.

I may have been engulfed in the fandom and embrace that part of me now, but I totally respect non-furs that want to respectfully poke around.

No pressure to fully immerse yourself.
Indeed, seeing how people approach furry anatomy can be fascinating. One of the things I am trying to do in my furry inspired world is to render it realistically. For example, no bird anthros will have hand wings in their first generations of sapience in my setting.

Liberonscien

I would say your fursona is a rat or a weasel. They are relatively shy animals that thrive in warm environments. They make good pets sometimes which shows they can get along with humans when encouraged. They are naturally curios animals. Rats thrive best in urban environments and weasels thrive best in the wild. They are intelligent and explorative. Rick was once called Solenya... part rat, part pickles. A Furry rat called "Solenya" (Rissoam fpr pickles) would be hilarious.
Hmm.
I'll consider it.