• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Not doing a PhD because of Covid-19

Golecko

Hiya all, just curious if anyone is similar to me in not doing a PhD after their masters because of the stress during Covid-19. I know quite a few of my Uni mates as well who have done the same thing in different courses.
If many remove them self from applying for a PhD I wonder what consequences this will have on the future of academia?

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Probably nothing.

A lot of people have been going to schools despite covid. Even if there were enough people to stop going for one year, I'm pretty sure (depending where you live) those markets are oversaturated anyway. People sitting with their degrees hanging on the wall, but having to settle on minimum wage jobs.

Maybe that lull would finally make it so they can get hired in the right field. X)

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I ended up doing my PhD during covid. Fortunately I had done most of the fieldwork and laboratory time that I needed to already, but I know some people who had to change pretty much all of their plans.

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
I ended up doing my PhD during covid. Fortunately I had done most of the fieldwork and laboratory time that I needed to already, but I know some people who had to change pretty much all of their plans.
That's me! ÙwÚ

...ÚnÙ
The world always changes. No matter what you do, do as you feel right and choose the 'slightly better' one if it's too concerning. Because whether your current choice is 'right' or 'wrong', there's always the potential that all may 'fail'. Expect these and be prepared to be flexibly adapting on and on!

At least that's what my life taught me, and this is what I wanna say. Merely an opinion! UwU

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
What's your PhD topic?
Shhh... I'd not wanna be let known! Even my bf ain't allowed to know it!

What's gone is gone... QwQ
(I should've erased it all from my brain... dayum!)

May I erase my posts in this thread?

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
Removing yourself from a potentially crippling debt with double or even triple digits? Yes, I am for this. Starve this corrupt and exploitative scheme.

Go into trade school instead and learn a trade.

Golecko

I think if it happened to me during a PhD I would have continued. I think the onslaught of a masters and then finding a PhD during covid was just overwhelming, but that's probably just me.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Not a PhD, but together with my wife we had pretty big plans for changing our life, with potential for a lot of improvement. Covid messed it all up so much that nothing can be done until 2022 probably.

What's gone is gone... QwQ
(I should've erased it all from my brain... dayum!)
I wonder if it's anything like with my master's degree. It turned out to be so useless and inconsequential in practice that I hardly ever think about it. Could as well not have done it, nothing would have changed...

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Removing yourself from a potentially crippling debt with double or even triple digits? Yes, I am for this. Starve this corrupt and exploitative scheme.

Go into trade school instead and learn a trade.

Actually institutions pay candidates a tax-free stipend to do PhD level research.