• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Now looking for a BETA reader for my book.

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Short Synopsis

The name of my book is called Weight and See. The book revolves around a young male "Hedgepossum" named Ricky Mason. Ricky is a creature who grew up practicing Sumotora: a lifestyle similar to what a sumo wrestler would partake in that involves making yourself fat and muscular as a way of strengthening your body. For the longest time, he has wanted to join a group of Heroes. Little did he know that he would soon be a member of the same group as his personal hero. Along the way, Ricky interacts with his friends and learns what it means to be a Sumotoran, but learns also of his shortcomings and how his arrogant attitude affects those around him. Can he put his pride aside to protect his friends from the crime syndicate led by Master Thief Jenny Sequa? Can he help out his friends? More importantly, will he need to help out his enemties? What will he have to do to make things right in the city of Taurn?

Ricky joins the cast of Titi, a middle-aged retired Alippo sumo wrestling champion with a love for outlandish fashion, a normally cool head in battle and experience as a one-on-one strategist.

Toasty the Winged Pig, part-time preschool teacher with a basic knowledge of magic and an addiction for complexity.

Dobbins the Bear, a slightly slow minded but incredibly friendly creature with an expertise in Muay Thai kickboxing.

Master Tumba, the leader of the group who is the biggest, strongest and calmest of all the members of Team Meteor.

...and many more characters.

Disclaimer

There are a few things I am concerned with about my book, especially in the later chapters. I'm not entirely sure I went the right direction with them, and I'm worried my characters aren't as strong later in the book. I am also worried that Titi might come off as a social justice Warrior type character, and I do kind of want a second opinion on that as well.

I'm pretty open to suggestions, but there is absolutely one thing I will not budge on: the characters species. I probably won't have a problem with that here on furaffinity, but I have actually went to advertise a previous book I wrote on another website, and they complained that the book wasn't about humans. Long story short, I do not want my book to be about humans. I want my book to be about anthropomorphic characters. I wouldn't even have written the book if it was about humans. You might argue the whole humans are relatable debate, but I am personally the exact opposite. I will probably be asking for beta readers on other websites, and I hope they understand that I do not want to write about humans, though I am sure there are going to be people who will debate that my characters are human, just in the form of anthropomorphic characters. In my opinion, they are fantasy creatures. They may have some human customs and mannerisms, but as long as they aren't just humans with pointy ears or cat ears or short humans Etc, I consider them to be non-human. Regardless, I just don't want my characters to look human because I think it's more interesting when they look like my favorite animals and not humans.

Anyway, other than that, I'm pretty open-minded. I want at least one person from this website. I want to get at least one furry and one non furry to read my book. I will probably ask for another betta reader on nanowrimo, where I will probably get my non furry beta reader. Here, I'm asking specifically for a furry beta reader. I feel like I should get at least three opinions oh, so I might ask one more site or two people on nanowrimo.

Last edited:

Baalf

I have really been struggling to find beta readers. I've had I have really been struggling to find beta readers. I've had a few who have started reading my book, but no one who has stuck with that. What am I doing wrong? How do I get people to Beta read my book?

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
Have you considered hiring a professional?

I get that you might be trying to save money, or get a variety of opinions, or maybe you want someone to enjoy the book casually. But these people aren't obligated to follow through to the end and as you've experienced firsthand, won't if they don't need to.

Baalf

Have you considered hiring a professional?

I get that you might be trying to save money, or get a variety of opinions, or maybe you want someone to enjoy the book casually. But these people aren't obligated to follow through to the end and as you've experienced firsthand, won't if they don't need to.

aside from costing money, how many professionals are going to tell me that I need to make my book about humans when that would remove the very thing I enjoyed writing about my book? I just want to say this. Either I make the book with characters I enjoy writing, or I don't make it at all.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
aside from costing money, how many professionals are going to tell me that I need to make my book about humans when that would remove the very thing I enjoyed writing about my book? I just want to say this. Either I make the book with characters I enjoy writing, or I don't make it at all.

I mean, if you provide someone with a set of parameters for what you want them to do and then they violate that are they really professionals? At that point I would demand my money back.

Kate Marquet

Writing something, usually
A possible suggestion for a place to find Beta readers that I've used in the past for me non-fetish stuff is https://betareader.io/ Especially if you're just working on one manuscript, the free version should be enough. Just work on a good hook to get people to wanna read your story and (at least in my experience) you can get some people willing to provide at least some feedback. Hope that helps!