• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

[NSFW] Would increasing my prices be unrealistic?

Opinion on current price ($23)

• Overpriced ($15-20)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fair ($20-25)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Underpriced ($25-30)

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Very underpriced ($30-35)

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Exceptionally underpriced ($35-40)

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Pawpadcomrade

I've been taking commissions for the better part of a year now, and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm declining potential commissioners because I've got too much on my plate.

I've heard it said that this is a sign to increase your prices, but I'm skeptical of doing so. I feel like a price increase might drive away the following I've been building, but on the other hand will free up more time and bring me closer to a livable wage as I'm working for about $4/hr right now.

Would I be crazy to increase my prices from where they are now (~$25) to say, $35? $40 even? Is there another price that seems more fitting?

Here's some examples of my work (NSFW):

www.furaffinity.net: Saki at Sunset by Pawpadcomrade
www.furaffinity.net: Macro Blaziken Commission by Pawpadcomrade
www.furaffinity.net: Worgen Commission for CMYK on Discord by Pawpadcomrade

I'd love to hear your opinions on all this. Thanks!

RoxyHana

Princess Bunny ♥
Hmmm this is just my own experience so don't take it as a law, but I did increase my prices some time ago and I didn't lose followers for that. If you do it fairly (don't double the prices suddenly for example! D: ), nobody should mind. This is offer and demand after all.

Pawpadcomrade

Hmmm this is just my own experience so don't take it as a law, but I did increase my prices some time ago and I didn't lose followers for that. If you do it fairly (don't double the prices suddenly for example! D: ), nobody should mind. This is offer and demand after all.

Thanks for the input! I'm thinking of giving a month's notice before bumping prices so I don't catch anyone off guard. I'll keep your advice in mind.

SLCMedia

Business Consulting for Fandom Artists
If you're turning down potential business because you already have too many clients to handle, that's definitely a sign to raise your prices.

If you have more business coming in than you can handle, then you can afford to potentially lose some of those incoming customers in exchange for a higher revenue per client, since you've already got more business than you can reasonably handle anyway. Continue doing whatever you've been doing to keep clients coming (Also see what you can do to keep clients coming back) and you should be fine raising your prices into the $30 range, or maybe even $40.

Pawpadcomrade

If you're turning down potential business because you already have too many clients to handle, that's definitely a sign to raise your prices.

If you have more business coming in than you can handle, then you can afford to potentially lose some of those incoming customers in exchange for a higher revenue per client, since you've already got more business than you can reasonably handle anyway. Continue doing whatever you've been doing to keep clients coming (Also see what you can do to keep clients coming back) and you should be fine raising your prices into the $30 range, or maybe even $40.

Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty sure I'll go through with a $30 base price based on your and other answers. I suppose losing some customers isn't the end of the world, and it'll be nice to have less total stuff in my queue.

Hello Pawpad!
Let me ask you something:

• How much did you charge when you first started taking commissions a year ago?
  • How much have you increased your prince since then?
  • And the last question: How much better have your art gotten?

Personally, I think that the exhausting feeling you describe of working for nothing is a red alarm you really need to take care of. If in every art you're making you feel like you are losing more time and effort than what you're actually charging for, then I guess you are left with two options:

A) Work faster or in a style that lets you and your clients feel good about what you're changing.
B) Charge more.

I assume you want to charge more.
I also assume you think you're ready for it.
Again, I'm assuming you're afraid of doing so and you're asking for validation when, in reality, even if I tell you to "go for it", you'll only know for sure once you've actually done it.

And now, here this:

- You are allowed to raise your prices. In fact, clients expect you to raise your prices! If I were to as for only 10$ for a commission, I can assure you I wouldn't get as many commissions as if I'd charge a fair price. Why? People would be suspicious!
How many times have you decided on buying one tomato sauce instead of the other simply because of the pricing? (that's just an example, but you get the idea).

- You are also allowed to negotiate with your clients. Let me say that again: Your word is not final, nor the clients' words are final. We are all people having conversations, even if it's about pricing.

So, my advice? You could try something like this:

Next time someone comes to you and asks you for pricing, go and tell them your new prices. Charge more. Then, if they'd ever tell you you are too expensive, then be prepared to negotiate. How? By being honest and yourself. Explain your situation in a professional manner.

Want some example?

"Hello -name-
Would you be open to negotiating the pricing? I want to work with you because I really like your proposal so I'm willing to lower my price a bit / offer you a one time discount. I want you to see how I work and show you I can deliver.

Let me know what you think,

-you-

In case they give you the cold shoulder, you can always kindly ask them why they wouldn't want to commission you and if they answer and tell you it's because of your prices, then negotiate.

My guess? You won't have to negotiate or stress that much as you think. You'll be fine :)

C. Donut.

Pawpadcomrade

• How much did you charge when you first started taking commissions a year ago?
  • How much have you increased your prince since then?
  • And the last question: How much better have your art gotten?

Hey, thanks for the thorough answer! I've been charging this amount since I started. I definitely feel more confident in my work, and I can think of two solid jumps I've made in quality since then through studying new techniques.

Since I do this primarily as a hobby, I don't think changing my style is something I'm looking to do, so charging more seems like the best option.

I'll keep your comment in mind for my new pricing!

Hey, thanks for the thorough answer! I've been charging this amount since I started. I definitely feel more confident in my work, and I can think of two solid jumps I've made in quality since then through studying new techniques.

Since I do this primarily as a hobby, I don't think changing my style is something I'm looking to do, so charging more seems like the best option.

I'll keep your comment in mind for my new pricing!

I'm glad I could be of some help, really. :)

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help (Unless I'm sleeping, then I'll be happy to sleep)