• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"Nuke"?

uncia2000

blackdragoon said:
um...if they don't want people using it right now then why don't they disable it just like the search feature till they can figure out what's going on????

First get to the code, in order to disable the feature.

It's about 5 1/2 hours since I posted on the admin forums to point out various performance characteristics that could be useful in determining the root cause (for those of us who don't have low-level access); whether that be owing to problems arising from the "nuke" functionality, (D)DOS, etc.
Not that the coders wouldn't know, or be able to work that out from other tools they have, but just in order to get a pre-emptive strike.

Tonight is a bad night for coder availability, it seems.

vashdragon

If yall do get it fixed and we keep it, would it be possible to put the nuke button some place else. I cant tell you how many times i almost clicked it and man would that have sucked. Twas a good feature though, im finaly free of those backlogged journals.

uncia2000

vashdragon said:
If yall do get it fixed and we keep it, would it be possible to put the nuke button some place else. I cant tell you how many times i almost clicked it and man would that have sucked. Twas a good feature though, im finaly free of those backlogged journals.

Should help on the HDD space too, no doubt, Vash.

Good... Yes, I can empathise with wanting to get rid of /huge/ numbers on that top line (25,000+S for some people), although I'd still rather delete only the oldest 1/2 - 3/4 - 7/8, rather than "all" for some of those.

Not that I'm trying it just now, but I thought the option had a confirmation popup? Or does the placement of that make it easy to confirm in error, too?

why can't we nuke private messages on the mainsite???!!!
when you delete them they stay right there anyway!!1!!!!
what's the point?! you wanna free up space allow us to delete old PMs. i know some people have got way more than me and i have 3 pages of them. multiply that by the 30,000+ members over there and thas alot of memory being wasted on keeping those trashcans full....also i have brought this up may time before and not once has an admin or mod or coder responded to any of those posts. heck i even posted a thread about it a few weeks ago!!

uncia2000

Well, the system throughput is back up from around 8 Mbps to 15 Mbps (slightly short of usual), but the lag from the time I posted that admin message until "near normality" was around 40 minutes.

Not sure what that says 'bout how badly system resources were being hogged, but things are a /bit/ better now, at least.

uncia2000

blackdragoon said:

Because the feature hasn't been coded yet?

Yeah, that's an annoying gap, I must admit; but judging by what's been happening with the current go-slow I think the coders might have to be a bit more careful when putting (further) "nuke"s live, given the depth of backlogged data to remove that FA currently has.

uncia2000 said:
blackdragoon said:

Because the feature hasn't been coded yet?

Yeah, that's an annoying gap, I must admit; but judging by what's been happening with the current go-slow I think the coders might have to be a bit more careful when putting (further) "nuke"s live, given the depth of backlogged data to remove that FA currently has.

ok then why can't we atleast empty our trashcans of "supposedly" deleted messages???

uncia2000

blackdragoon said:
Yay slightly more speed again!!!

ERROR: DATABASE RESPONDED TOO MANY CONNECTIONS

Yeah, was running relatively smoothly for 15-20 before that.
Am guessing that people are still nuking; possibly even doing so before they think the feature will be withdrawn. (Like, "thanks", if so... :roll:).

Still haven't ruled-out any other underlying cause; and not in a position to do so here. Hopefully nothing else.

shy_matsi

yak said:
it.. NUKES. your "new submission" messages. I know people are having problems with hundreds of those

it was added 5 minutes ago, after successfully testing it on Marthaen, out test dragon. the test succedded with minimal blood loss.

oooh I'm gonna love that feature :)

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
A totally new reason to message-whore!!
I'll probably never use it either. I usally clear out at "You have 50 messages". I get confused what happens after that