• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

obligatory pride month thread (for 2021)

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
I don't see a pride month thread anywhere yet (for this year anyway, I won't revive an old one because necro-ing bad) so I figured I'd make one.

Happy pride month! As I'm sure you all know, we furries are pretty gay B) Is there anything LGBT or pride-related you want to share? Maybe tell us your identity, experiences you're comfortable sharing, your plans for pride month, or something else?

Personally I'm not gonna do too much like the previous years, just seek out some pride-related art and enjoy my first pride month since learning I'm trans. I'd be more than happy to share some of the art with you guys once I get some!

Guifrog

Blue Frog
My brother has been going through some deep @*#! lately so me and the whole family have been in this kinda mood:

7bede8ecccb3751b101d84fd581a2666.png

He's our Superman in many senses, ain't easy to be a trans person in this country

Also this is where I found the froggo:

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I personally rather dislike the concept of a "pride month" and of the whole thing in general, but I hope people enjoy it anyway.

However I will say I think it's important for people to remember that corporations very much like to commodify this and that it doesn't mean they have anyone's best interests at heart no matter what they might say. Be careful and safe as always, and don't just trust in anyone or anything that claims to be "on your side."

A person or collective is not automatically "good" just because they very publicly support a now very commonly accepted thing.

Last edited:

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
I personally rather dislike the concept of a "pride month" and of the whole thing in general, but I hope people enjoy it anyway.

However I will say I think it's important for people to remember that corporations very much like to commodify this and that it doesn't mean they have anyone's best interests at heart no matter what they might say. Be careful and safe as always, and don't just trust in anyone or anything that claims to be "on your side."

A person or collective is not automatically "good" just because they very publicly support a now very commonly accepted thing.
I mean your point is valid in that corporations are only pretending to care to get more dollars. The memes last year of companies trying to decide if they were gay, black, police, or something else were great. However, June as Pride Month isn't a corporate thing as it was started to commemorate that Stonewall Riots - it's just been co-opted, like every other [theme] month. Which in its own way is very much showing that broad acceptance is being seen - companies feel they can monetize it, so it means it's getting treated like everything else. It's a form of equality.

In general I do question if a Pride Month is really the best way to gain acceptance, given that it's all about celebrating stuff that supposedly doesn't matter. However, I don't have an alternative and honestly, it helps lots of people. If a parade and rainbow-themed car ads (that aren't subaru) helps people feel accepted, I'm not gonna take that away.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Yes, corporations hopping on the bandwagon now that it's safe and profitable to do so is eyeroll-worthy, and it's additionally disgusting how many corporations will pay lip-service to Pride while still funding anti-LGBTQ politicians and organizations and treating their own LGBTQ employees badly.

There's also a deeper existential dilemma (which the furry fandom shares) related to how we're going to maintain our unique identity and our autonomy as a community in the future. How do we continue to hold on to who we are and what makes us unique?

That said, I'd rather live in a world where corporations cynically wave Pride flags because it's now reasonably safe to be LGBTQ than a world where being LGBTQ is taboo and stigmatized.

quoting_mungo

It’s also important to remember that in many cases acceptance is, effectively, conditional. People need to have the same rights to get married, equal footing to be considered for adoption, etc, and that’s important. But it’s also important that being an “acceptable queer person” doesn’t hinge on any of those things. If you’re uncomfortable trying to do the white picket fence and 2.5 kids thing, society needs to accept you without those things. If it won’t, then you’re not really being accepted, are you?

There are IMO also upsides to corporations trying to capitalize on Pride. While it’s always good to try to support and shop from queer-owned small business for your Pride-related things, small business doesn’t get the same economy of scale. So if someone with limited means stands to either have nothing, or have a flag from a large corporation, and having that flag is important to them from an identity/sense of community standpoint, I prefer that he has a way of getting his flag.

At the end of the day, though, I just want people to be able to be happy with who they are. A month with an outpouring of support may be the thing someone needs in order to be able to embrace their identity.

Or maybe I’m just corny.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
In general I do question if a Pride Month is really the best way to gain acceptance, given that it's all about celebrating stuff that supposedly doesn't matter. However, I don't have an alternative and honestly, it helps lots of people. If a parade and rainbow-themed car ads (that aren't subaru) helps people feel accepted, I'm not gonna take that away.
In general this is the sort of issue I personally take with the idea of it.

It's by intent othering people for the purpose of acceptance. This seems hugely counterintuitive to me. Why make a big month-long production out of something that is supposed to be considered relatively normal and not a big deal? In my opinion treating it like it's nothing special is the best way to make it accepted.

As Morgan Freeman says about race, "just stop talking about it."

Fcomega121

Friendly Maned Wolf + Phoenix
View attachment 111809
hell dont want em either

made this today
This is awesome friendo!!
You did it adorable looking and perfect to be printed everywhere!! <3

/
Terfs are just the worst persons in the planet and don't want to stigmatise but I will.. Religious people are the main reason because terfs exist.
they always did those with Women, Scientists, Red and Yellow eyed people, Ethnic varieties, Black cats and of course lgbt people. discriminating everyone, claiming to be "good persons".

I wish all of them, terfs and discriminators to went extinct.
and let us all live, happy and be free!
terfs aren't people, no respect for terfs >:3
images

RAM

Terfs are just the worst persons in the planet and don't want to stigmatise but I will.. Religious people are the main reason because terfs exist.
they always did those with Women, Scientists, Red and Yellow eyed people, Ethnic varieties, Black cats and of course lgbt people. discriminating everyone, claiming to be "good persons".

I don't buy this.

Religious people (particularly your hardline sorts like Mormons, Sunni Muslims, etc) predominantly swing conservative on most social issues. Historically, they've been at odds with the feminist movement because feminism generally advocates for new social mores and sociopolitical policies that run counter to what many religious cultural standards consider as being proper, so it doesn't make any sense that they would be behind the creation of the TERF movement.

I've looked into TERF spaces quite a bit. I don't see many Muslims, hardline Christians, or any major concentration of believers in them because all of the groups that such people would normally belong to dislike virtually all derivatives of feminism. TERF spaces, like most feminist spaces, are instead predominantly dominated by misandrist cisgendered women (many of them being non-practicing, agnostic, or atheist), large numbers of radically feminist lesbians (this demographic in particular has been historically at odds with MtF transgender people as a group), and a sizeable yet critical population of self-hating men who are only there to help strongarm dissenting male individuals into complying with feminist beliefs and demands in the vain and misguided hope that they will score approval (and by extension, pussy) from a bunch of women who fundamentally dislike them for the sex that they were born as.

I will say this though: feminists and old-school conservatives (think of those goofy chivalrous sorts like Dave Ramsey and his habitual tendency of handling female viewers who call into his show with kid gloves whenever they disclose to him that they've done or are in the process of doing something stupid with money, their marriage, or family relations) have made strange bedfellows in the past and still do to this day. There's a lot of money, as in a quarter of a trillion dollars at the low-end, to be made in upholding such a relationship (divorce court industry, marriage industry, and family court system are effectively mass monetary transfers from men to women), since male conservative law makers and prominent conservative think tanks/social figureheads help to dupe countless numbers of men into supporting these shit-tier institutions and industries.

I'm getting off topic though.

The point I'm trying to make is that religious people aren't the primary facilitators of the world's social woes.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
In general this is the sort of issue I personally take with the idea of it.

It's by intent othering people for the purpose of acceptance. This seems hugely counterintuitive to me. Why make a big month-long production out of something that is supposed to be considered relatively normal and not a big deal? In my opinion treating it like it's nothing special is the best way to make it accepted.

As Morgan Freeman says about race, "just stop talking about it."
If I had to take a guess, the month-long spiel is a form of counter-intelligence.

Just because you and I and good portions of this forum consider it "not a big deal", tragically does not mean everyone else does. This is basically the only chance at LGBT positivity some people can GET.

Incidentally, the reason why there isn't a current thread is because these have had a tendency to get locked lately. Sadly, my issues with LGBT mean it's my turn for the dangerous stuff.

I've been questioning and I'm pretty certain I'm at LEAST gay, but I'm still thinking and looking to see whether I'm actually bi or pan. Thing is.... I may actually have to be missed with some of the political stuff regarding LGBT, at minimum until I adjust and at worst long-term, and my reason is I know EXACTLY how it jumbles in my head. Just the mere act of PROCESSING some of the nasty things that happened to LGBT folks is enough to cause me meltdowns. With the way some people still view LGBT in general, I already know a meltdown is a very bad thing to have happen if I'm trying to be in their corner.

And when slurs get involved, which I would most likely have flung at me as well if I have to be on their side? I wind up having to deduce the offense manually because they literally don't make sense as insults any other way, and it winds up breaking my brain trying to process it as such.

Anyone who thinks the following is a joke, I'm not doing this to be funny, I'm doing this because it's the only way my brain can even comprehend some of these things. The fact that I think this way should probably be considered a LITTLE scary and off-putting - also why I'm putting it in spoiler tags, so people don't casually glance and think it's about them.

Calling a certain group an automotive part. Not just that, but an automotive part that's also disrespected when it comes to fluid drainage - and one that can just as easily break if asked to pull too much. And on top of that, that part's purpose is transferring power, and I've already heard plenty from the group in question that they're sick and tired of being pawns in power games.

A certain group takes serious offense to having separate bathrooms because it's basically "othering" them. Thing is, when it comes to identifying, some pricks refuse to take said group seriously and make jokes about "identifying" as vehicles. There's one in particular that has multiple roles and can get "shot down" like a lot of the certain group gets. Someone who gets shot down, in either sense, might logically find a quiet place to cry, like a bathroom. If they're pressured enough they might pick ANY bathroom. And I've seen images of anthro versions of vehicles lately. So now I have the mental image of a Blackhawk crying in the disabled bathroom - with fighter planes outside hurling MORE insults.

Yeah, if those two spoiler-tagged things don't give a good idea why my mind is too messed up for advocacy work or the political stuff, I don't know what will.

Let me make this clear - the only thing I want is to understand at the moment.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
Me only caring for pride month because I can put a rainbow flag on my avatar.

D

Deleted member 144185

If I had to take a guess, the month-long spiel is a form of counter-intelligence.

Just because you and I and good portions of this forum consider it "not a big deal", tragically does not mean everyone else does. This is basically the only chance at LGBT positivity some people can GET.

Incidentally, the reason why there isn't a current thread is because these have had a tendency to get locked lately. Sadly, my issues with LGBT mean it's my turn for the dangerous stuff.

I've been questioning and I'm pretty certain I'm at LEAST gay, but I'm still thinking and looking to see whether I'm actually bi or pan. Thing is.... I may actually have to be missed with some of the political stuff regarding LGBT, at minimum until I adjust and at worst long-term, and my reason is I know EXACTLY how it jumbles in my head. Just the mere act of PROCESSING some of the nasty things that happened to LGBT folks is enough to cause me meltdowns. With the way some people still view LGBT in general, I already know a meltdown is a very bad thing to have happen if I'm trying to be in their corner.

And when slurs get involved, which I would most likely have flung at me as well if I have to be on their side? I wind up having to deduce the offense manually because they literally don't make sense as insults any other way, and it winds up breaking my brain trying to process it as such.

Anyone who thinks the following is a joke, I'm not doing this to be funny, I'm doing this because it's the only way my brain can even comprehend some of these things. The fact that I think this way should probably be considered a LITTLE scary and off-putting - also why I'm putting it in spoiler tags, so people don't casually glance and think it's about them.

Calling a certain group an automotive part. Not just that, but an automotive part that's also disrespected when it comes to fluid drainage - and one that can just as easily break if asked to pull too much. And on top of that, that part's purpose is transferring power, and I've already heard plenty from the group in question that they're sick and tired of being pawns in power games.

A certain group takes serious offense to having separate bathrooms because it's basically "othering" them. Thing is, when it comes to identifying, some pricks refuse to take said group seriously and make jokes about "identifying" as vehicles. There's one in particular that has multiple roles and can get "shot down" like a lot of the certain group gets. Someone who gets shot down, in either sense, might logically find a quiet place to cry, like a bathroom. If they're pressured enough they might pick ANY bathroom. And I've seen images of anthro versions of vehicles lately. So now I have the mental image of a Blackhawk crying in the disabled bathroom - with fighter planes outside hurling MORE insults.

Yeah, if those two spoiler-tagged things don't give a good idea why my mind is too messed up for advocacy work or the political stuff, I don't know what will.

Let me make this clear - the only thing I want is to understand at the moment.
Hmm never heard of those insults before but those are some unusual euphemisms. ( I am trying to phrase this in the least offensive way possible.)
Besides I am a gay man SO YAAAAAAAAAA PRIDE MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punji

Vaskebjørn

My point is that it shouldn't be, not that it isn't.

As long as it's seen as something special, "different," or "unique" to the average person whether as a protected class or as a second class, it's going to be treated differently. When people stop thinking of sexuality as "normal" and "abnormal" they'll stop thinking in terms of "normal" and inferior."

I don't think "pride" in general is going to help with this and much less an entire month of it being forcefully shoved down everyone's throats. And of course, that's coming from someone who looks at gay dogs on the internet every day.

Fcomega121

I don't buy this.

Religious people (particularly your hardline sorts like Mormons, Sunni Muslims, etc) predominantly swing conservative on most social issues. Historically, they've been at odds with the feminist movement because feminism generally advocates for new social mores and sociopolitical policies that run counter to what many religious cultural standards consider as being proper, so it doesn't make any sense that they would be behind the creation of the TERF movement.

I've looked into TERF spaces quite a bit. I don't see many Muslims, hardline Christians, or any major concentration of believers in them because all of the groups that such people would normally belong to dislike virtually all derivatives of feminism. TERF spaces, like most feminist spaces, are instead predominantly dominated by misandrist cisgendered women (many of them being non-practicing, agnostic, or atheist), large numbers of radically feminist lesbians (this demographic in particular has been historically at odds with MtF transgender people as a group), and a sizeable yet critical population of self-hating men who are only there to help strongarm dissenting male individuals into complying with feminist beliefs and demands in the vain and misguided hope that they will score approval (and by extension, pussy) from a bunch of women who fundamentally dislike them for the sex that they were born as.

I will say this though: feminists and old-school conservatives (think of those goofy chivalrous sorts like Dave Ramsey and his habitual tendency of handling female viewers who call into his show with kid gloves whenever they disclose to him that they've done or are in the process of doing something stupid with money, their marriage, or family relations) have made strange bedfellows in the past and still do to this day. There's a lot of money, as in a quarter of a trillion dollars at the low-end, to be made in upholding such a relationship (divorce court industry, marriage industry, and family court system are effectively mass monetary transfers from men to women), since male conservative law makers and prominent conservative think tanks/social figureheads help to dupe countless numbers of men into supporting these shit-tier institutions and industries.

I'm getting off topic though.

The point I'm trying to make is that religious people aren't the primary facilitators of the world's social woes.
Yeah they aren't mainly, but maybe if in old times things were different probably terfs would be a small group

But after all, you're right, I'm not totally against them, but mainly got a very negative view of those religions that's gonna be hard to shake off (by heart, my mind tends to adapt faster)

There's a lot of factors I'm missing tbh,
Thank you for your time to let me know :3

Muttmutt

Absolute Menace
My point is that it shouldn't be, not that it isn't.

As long as it's seen as something special, "different," or "unique" to the average person whether as a protected class or as a second class, it's going to be treated differently. When people stop thinking of sexuality as "normal" and "abnormal" they'll stop thinking in terms of "normal" and inferior."

I don't think "pride" in general is going to help with this and much less an entire month of it being forcefully shoved down everyone's throats. And of course, that's coming from someone who looks at gay dogs on the internet every day.
As much as I want to agree with the “shoving it down our throats” argument, it’s just not really a valid one. Heterosexuality has historically, and still is, shoved down people’s throats. From heteronormative laws, entertainment, language, and practices to straight up homophobia and pressure put on both children and adults to conform to heterosexual standards while being shielded from LGBT+. Companies throwing up a rainbow icon and changing up some branding isn’t shoving it down your throat. This is an argument frequently used to shut progress down and make it over-complicated. If you don’t like seeing it, don’t look at it.

Do I think it’s genuine? Hell no. I do not think that any of these companies give a damn about the LGBT+ community. However, it still serves to help normalize seeing LGBT+ people/history and that is a good thing. The more mainstream it becomes, the less stigma will surround it. I see no reason, though, to claim it’s being “forced on us” or “shoved down our throats” as I don’t see anyone being harmed for being heterosexual during this month - unlike how LGBT+ individuals are every day in countries all around the world.

Fcomega121

As much as I want to agree with the “shoving it down our throats” argument, it’s just not really a valid one. Heterosexuality has historically, and still is, shoved down people’s throats. From heteronormative laws, entertainment, language, and practices to straight up homophobia and pressure put on both children and adults to conform to heterosexual standards while being shielded from LGBT+. Companies throwing up a rainbow icon and changing up some branding isn’t shoving it down your throat. This is an argument frequently used to shut progress down and make it over-complicated. If you don’t like seeing it, don’t look at it.

Do I think it’s genuine? Hell no. I do not think that any of these companies give a damn about the LGBT+ community. However, it still serves to help normalize seeing LGBT+ people/history and that is a good thing. The more mainstream it becomes, the less stigma will surround it. I see no reason, though, to claim it’s being “forced on us” or “shoved down our throats” as I don’t see anyone being harmed for being heterosexual during this month - unlike how LGBT+ individuals are every day in countries all around the world.
giphy.gif

I'm with you on this

People tend to fear the unknown based on the propper unknowness/ignorance

If everyone had better education on the topic, they would be mostly more friendly

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
Sure why not? Last month I officially hit being half a year on testosterone! On the 14th I plan to make it a year and a month!
Congratulations, real happy for ya!! I'm considering seeking HRT myself, though I'm still mulling it over since it's mostly my voice I have problems with (and also some stubble would be nice so I don't look like a twelve year old lmao). Idk. Only certain thing right now is I want a binder.

What is nice in terms of my own transition though is I got a haircut recently that passes as a masc haircut (while not outing me because I can just say it's a pixie cut B) ) and it's made such a difference! If I like, cross my arms really tightly to where it mostly hides my chest, I actually kinda look like a dude. It's done wonders for me and I'm already starting to feel so much more comfortable in my body.

Tendo64

Cat With A Guitar
On a side note though, I might be starting to see some drama pile up. Save it for another thread please, I just want this forum to have a positive space for once. If you don't like pride month, that's fine, but let other people enjoy it. As others have said, this is the only way some of us can express ourselves, myself included, as someone with a highly conservative and anti-LGBT (and misogynistic for that matter) family that would do god-knows-what if they learned I was trans (and also reacts negatively to me being bisexual).

Punji

Vaskebjørn

I obviously disagree. It's important to consider the general population is almost exclusively heterosexual, and so we ought to expect almost exclusively heterosexual ideas, concepts, and content. The average person will grow up with a heterosexual mind and will experience things through this lens, hence why most media will be targeted towards the general standard for the general population. Same reason why we don't see a lot of representation of people in wheelchairs. Secondly, sexuality in general is very over-expressed in media, because sex sells and most people are motivated by it to some degree.

With pride month one can almost hear more about it than Christmas in December if ya' discount the decorations. But whereas almost every single person is affected by Christmas whether they choose to celebrate it or not, the vast majority of people won't be directly affected by companies spewing rainbow logos and merchandise everywhere. Shoved down our throats because the actual LGBT demographic is tiny for all the attention it gets, which all gets dropped like a rock at the end of the month.

Other countries where LGBT people are at great risk are largely irrelevant to pride month, because it's obviously not going to be celebrated there. It's reserved for places where it's already completely okay and the people are protected under the law, which only makes me dislike it more. It's all a farse, virtue signalling, instead of anyone actually caring about the issues. It makes everyone look at sexuality as having two camps (straight and anything else) without actually doing anything to promote a healthy cohesion in society. The West holding parades does not impact the East in any meaningful way.

Pride moth recognizes the difference, puts it on a pedestal for everyone to see, and then when it's over drops it into the dirt. Only everyone still notices there's a difference. If pride month or "pride" in general did anything more I wouldn't say it was, because it would be for a purpose. At least, such is my opinion on the matter.