• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Offering Redlines < Resurrected! 10/13/07

Horrorshow

Built for Sin!
RE: Offering Redlines < Resurrected! 3/18/07

If you have the time, I would like to offer up this piece for some of your helpful red lines. :]

( Appypolly loggies for the messiness. . 3. )

blotch

Wolf E. Urameshi said:
Heyas. What I attached here is a pic in progress which is a trade with Powerful Horse. I'd like to request a redline on it, please. Thank you!

Hey there! Happy to see you back. :]

Looks like you're working out the muscle proportions, and it shows you looked at some reference, which is good. :]
First off, the head:
Some of the distinguishing features of a horse are: large eyes on the SIDE of their head (all herbivore/prey animals have them on the side so they can better see around them), vertical nostrils on the front of their snout, and long (longer than most people think) ears.
I cross referenced some of the photo reference for the redline on the head, so you can see what I'm talkin' about.
Horses (along with zebra, donkeys, etc.) have distinct muzzles and nostrils, compared to goats, cows, and sheep. Horses have vertical (up and down) nostrils on the front of their snouts.
The movie "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron" had a lot of nicely drawn horses and horse expressions if you need simplified, "drawn" help with the face that you can't get from photo reference.

As to the body, looks like you got off to a good start. When a figure is standing upright and facing forward, their spine is straight, and so is the line of their body, from between the pectoral muscles (chest muscles), down between the "6 pack" abs, and straight down the groin. If you keep the body line straight, you'll have a much easier time placing muscles and keeping everything in proportion.

Hope it, and the reference, are helpful. :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

blotch

Horrorshow said:
If you have the time, I would like to offer up this piece for some of your helpful red lines. :]

( Appypolly loggies for the messiness. . 3. )

Heya!

Very nice drawing you've got there! The face is adorable. >;]
The only thing the jumps out at me is his ab muscles looks a little low, and on the wrong line of his body to fit in with the rest of the figure. You know, I'd say make it easy on yourself and skip putting the "6-pack" on him--his frame is a little narrow, and he looks pretty cute nice and slim as he is.
Other than that, he looks nice and consistent. :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

Horrorshow

Built for Sin!

Ah, gotcha. :]

Thank you very much for that!

Sasuke Starseeker

Wannabe Artist

Hi Blotch, could you tell me what do you think about the following sketches I posted some days ago? Can you give me some corrections, please? Thanks in advance! :wink:

Sketch 1
Sketch 2

O

Option7

Hey. Just wondering, could you redline this for me please.

>Clickeh<

I'm ok with the bodies, the heads could use some work, but it's mainly the hands I'm concerned with. It would be greatly appreciated.

blotch

Sasuke Starseeker said:
Hi Blotch, could you tell me what do you think about the following sketches I posted some days ago? Can you give me some corrections, please? Thanks in advance! :wink:

Sketch 1
Sketch 2

Heya!

Some nice sketches you have here. :]
I figured for now I'd tackle the first one, since wings hasn't really come up on this thread before.
Overall, your character looks pretty good and solid, and your proportions are all in the right ratio in terms of arms/legs, etc--with the small exception of the character's left eye being noticeably smaller than the right. Beyond that, you've the basics of the figure down nicely. :]
The wings need a little work, though. Wings are built very similarly to arms (since well, they were once arms.) If you roll your shoulders back and bend your elbows, make a closed fist and stick out your pointer finger, you can mimic a birds wing (the pointer finger acts as the "flight finger" which is much longer on a bird's "hand.") All of a bird's feathers attach to the skin on this extended "flight finger," or along the "forearm" (ok, before someone corrects me, it's just a simplified way to describe it, don't jump on me because boids dernt have no fingars. >;] )
A birds feathers layer on top of each other, connecting all along that flight finger, or the arm bone. The longest feathers are called pinions (primaries and secondaries) and the others are all converts (primary converts, secondary, auxiliary, tertials, blah blah blah, who wants to get technical.) The pinions are the large, "bladed" feathers, and the others are more rounded and provide the "seal" over the wing to keep lift. The ends of a feather on the wing help define the anatomy and add the touch of realism.
Also, bird wings do not bend so sharply at the top--its a rounded bend. Bat wings are only ones that can fold completely around their body, and have that really sharp bend.
Another thing to keep in mind when designing a character with wings--ask yourself what kind of bird wing. For example: really elegant wings: Owls or Herons, large encompassing wings: Vultures, sharp wings: sea birds, etc etc.

If you can pull off a natural looking wing with realistic feathers, you win! Win what? Who knows. But at least your sketches will look awesome! ;]

Ahem, anyway, wing rant aside, you're drawing looks pretty good and constant. If you'd like, I'd be happy to go back over it more thoroughly and offer some suggestions on the wrinkles and overall anatomy of the figure.

I'd like to see more wings from you, if you have the chance. :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

blotch

Option7 said:
Hey. Just wondering, could you redline this for me please.

>Clickeh<

I'm ok with the bodies, the heads could use some work, but it's mainly the hands I'm concerned with. It would be greatly appreciated.

Heya!

I applaud your effort at drawing something more dynamic like this, with two characters interacting. :]
First off, hands as you requested...
Hands are the kind of thing that you really have to draw a lot of 'em to really get a good grasp of how they work and pose. I suggest trying to fill a few sheets of paper with nothing but hands--quick, loose sketches in various poses. You can use your own for reference, or Elfwood has a pretty good side of hand reference:
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/hand/

Some samples of quick hand studies:
http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/CAsketchbook/hand_studies/hands_04.jpg
http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/CAsketchbook/hand_studies/Left_Hand_David_01.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/caulisxcaput/HandStudy.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mk1anton/ca_sketchbook/ks_hand_study_01.jpg

When it comes to hands, there really is nothing better than practice. :]

I also noted a few other little anatomical issues in your sketch. For starters, that one leg that I redlined in blue, would probably be broken being bent at the angle originally drawn. Since it would be coming toward the viewer, and slightly wrapped around the guy in the front--it would appear somewhat straight due to foreshortening.
Other than that, the eyes just seemed a little far apart, and the tail a little zigzagy. Tails are an extension of the spine, and unless your character has a prehensile tail, the tail would have about the same mobility as the spine. That is to say, gradual, gentle bends, nothing extreme.

Hope it was helpful!

Cheers,
-Blotch

O

Option7

Thanks a lot blotch, I love you ^_^

Just kidding, but thank you so much anyway.

Sasuke Starseeker

Wannabe Artist

Thank you very much for the advices and suggestions, Blotch. When you've tine, can you make some corretions to the other sketch, please? I need to draw more "macro" sketches in the near future.
Again, thanks for your time! :wink:

I have a feeling something might be off in this. I didn't use a reference at all, so I'd like to see how close I'm getting to decent form/body structure on my own. I know there's things wrong with the feet, so any pointers/redlines for those would definately help!

NSFW link just in case =) http://www.furaffinity.net/view/510192/

Whitetab

If this Thread is still open for business, and your not too swamped by redline requests ^^ it would be really nice if you could do a redline on:

http://www.furaffinity.net/full/512225/

I've redone the sketch so many times, so I post the "inked" (if one can name it that ^^) version, for a better overview...

I really have to work on paws and how to define muscles :)

Kindest regards
White

Ive been having alot of trouble with 3/4 head views with canines. Could you possibly Doodle something quick to help me out? =o

hawse

Hi Blotch!

Thanks for taking the time to help with critiques here, I love reading them and learn alot every time you help someone. I was hoping you might be able to point me to a good reference for your water coloring techniques. I've been playing with watercolors for a while now, but I simply have not been able to really grasp the whole building colors by glazing.. in other words, if I don't have the water color in the color I need, or want, I get fuddled really fast on how to *GET* the color I want. I can allways do the color wheel and just mix up the color I need, but it doesn't really give me the depth or the shading that I'd like to get.

Any suggestions on excersises or web sites that might be able to lend a hand? Your t for tigers was a good source for that, but more references are allways better. :)

THanks!
Hawse

foxxylink

hey there Blotchy i need some help with sketching,propotions etc. i was wondering if you could help me out a little by giving me some red lines for my sketches thank you ^^

Flye

Hiya Blotch,

I've been reading through this thread and tried out a couple of things you've suggested, (torso and legs particularly, I think you can tell :p), but I'm having some problems with my character's left hand, and his mouth seems a bit wonky somehow... I was wondering if you could help me out?

Thank you. :smile:

The drawing's here and is rated as Mature for exposed sheath and stuff, NSFW: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/596658/

I'm having trouble with the abs with this picture and I was wondering if you could help define them. Also, I always seem to have trouble with the hand paws and the overall shape of the face so I was wondering if you can help me with those as well.

img003-1.jpg

Sylfuchs

True, I already made a thread for this, but I can't think of anyone else i'd rather have critiquing my work. I did try to delete my thread, but it refuses to die so easily.

My original post follows:

I'm about to spend a bunch of time modeling this nude figure, but this being my first attempt at serious anatomy, I really need someone else to look at it to see if anything is terribly wrong that i've missed. Sure, much of it is just a hypothetical mash-up of human and fox attributes, but some generalities need to be observed.

It's hard to notice things sometimes even if you spend hours on them.

I did try very hard, though. Is there a doctor in the house?

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/676156/ ( possibly not safe for work )

greg-the-fox

Here's something I drew from my head. I was testing my understanding of muscles (it's very limited). Could you redline it please?

I don't think it's NSFW, I hope I don't get in trouble for this! <under 18>

blotch

Sylfuchs said:
I'm about to spend a bunch of time modeling this nude figure, but this being my first attempt at serious anatomy, I really need someone else to look at it to see if anything is terribly wrong that i've missed. Sure, much of it is just a hypothetical mash-up of human and fox attributes, but some generalities need to be observed.

It's hard to notice things sometimes even if you spend hours on them.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/676156/ ( possibly not safe for work )

Hullo!

Hope this isn't too late to offer some constructive critique. :]

Your turn around looks very nice! There's nothing that really jumps out at me with the front/back views. There is something about the side view and how your character is balanced, however.

There's one rule that's really useful when your building character turnarounds--Normal humans (or in this case, a bipedal anthro) will have their heads directly over where the weight in their feet meets the ground. Along that line (the Balance Line) the hips/center of gravity, shoulder and knee line up. This equilibrium is what makes a bipedal creature stand solidly on the ground when not in motion. Of course, it's easy to play with the "rule," for instance, if your character has a hunched back, their head would be pushed forward, but to compensate, their hunch/back would bulge back (a little give and take to even it all out.)
The same can be applied to a digitigrade creature, by having the "weight" of the foot rest on the ball of the foot, and not the heel. You'll never see a dog make their heel contact with the ground in a natural gait. Their center of balance lies all in the ball of their pad (the reason an anthro would probably have larger footpaws to help distribute weight and maintain balance.)

Her head also seems pushed a tad forward, like she's had some posture issues and is developing a little hump. ;] I'd recommend (unless it's specifically part of the character) to make her as upright as possible. If you rigged her to animate, you would then have a fuller range of natural movements.

Hope it was useful!

Cheers,
-Blotch

blotch

greg-the-fox said:
Here's something I drew from my head. I was testing my understanding of muscles (it's very limited). Could you redline it please?

I don't think it's NSFW, I hope I don't get in trouble for this! <under 18>

Hullo!

From your head it's quite impressive. :] It shows you have a good grasp on the human form and muscles.
The scan is a little small, otherwise I'd see if there was anything in particular could point out. The advice I can readily offer is to try taking a close look at photos and improving from there. The more you sketch from life and reference, the more familiar you'll become with your subject. You're never too good to need reference. :]

If there's any particular area you're having trouble with, I'm happy to try and help. :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

blotch

RE: Offering Redlines < Resurrected! 7/31/07

As the updated title of the thread says, I'll be resurrecting this thing for a bit! I'll be stuck around my computer for the next week or so, so if you're having any trouble with some art, I'm to take a stab at a redline!

Cheers,
-Blotch