• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Offering Redlines < Resurrected! 10/13/07

Sylfuchs

RE: Offering Redlines < Resurrected! 7/31/07

Thank you kindly, I do find this information very helpful.

I noticed something was off about it, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

foxxylink

please do mine blotch thank you
http://www.furaffinityforums.net/showthread.php?tid=4333&pid=158916#pid158916

greg-the-fox

RE: Offering Redlines < Resurrected! 3/18/07

blotch said:
greg-the-fox said:
Here's something I drew from my head. I was testing my understanding of muscles (it's very limited). Could you redline it please?

I don't think it's NSFW, I hope I don't get in trouble for this! <under 18>

Hullo!

From your head it's quite impressive. :] It shows you have a good grasp on the human form and muscles.
The scan is a little small, otherwise I'd see if there was anything in particular could point out. The advice I can readily offer is to try taking a close look at photos and improving from there. The more you sketch from life and reference, the more familiar you'll become with your subject. You're never too good to need reference. :]

If there's any particular area you're having trouble with, I'm happy to try and help. :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

Well, could you still redline it please? For the general proportions and muscles? (I think he looks to short, I dunno) And thanks for the compliment and pictures. (Wut r u trying to turn me gay?) :)

marmalade

haalp.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/tigermrow/otterywaterwings.jpg

it's an otter with water wings, hah. i can't seem to get the balance/anatomy correct. :oops:

Arius

I've been told the muzzle is a bit off but I want to know why and how can it be improved.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/701565/

Thank you in advance for your help. And keep up with the amazing art!

Tundon

Go lick a lemon!

Do me blotch, do me!

Drew this a while back, for me it's amazing because I'm hopeless at art. I've never been happy enough with it though, because lets face it, its pretty awful. I'd love for you to redline it for me please ^_^

EDIT: It's a fox xD

greg-the-fox

Here's a sketch I did from my head. (again) I think I'm improving. Can you redline it for posture? He's supposed to be putting his weight on his left foot. I messed up the shoulders I think. Tell me what you think of it.

crimsonwolf90

Next subj... I mean, customer!

Ok, acording to what I'm seeing and what ideas you are giving, your freakin' good at this. So, do you mind helping me out?

I don't have a picture but I need help with doing hands fingers and feet. My hands always seem to come out mutalated and disfigured and the feet, I can't seem to get the right size and shape. I'm mostly trying the digitigrade type feet.

Do you think you could help this noob out? I'd greatly appreaciate it!^^

HaTcH

Coulds't the great blotch give me a few pointers? :3
NSFW: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/705153/

Bottom character is supposed to be laying on a pillow, which is an easy way for me to say I screwed up and lost track of the ground :p

blotch

I'm not too busy for the next week or so and I thought I'd offer some more redlines or art advice if anyone needs help with a specific piece or pose! :]
Bring it on! :D I'll get to as many as I can before they haul me away back to the circus! >;]

I could use some help with this. I know they're both human, but hey, humans are anthro monkey's, soo...

Anyways, I need help with their faces, arms, hands, and legs. :B

Icarus

No time like the present.
I'm still working on connecting the wing shoulder to the body.
Then making it look smoother, more organic.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/Draconic33/spineddragon-1.jpg

And some hard/soft brush coloring (digital) tips would be nice :) .
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/Draconic33/eyepracticecopy.jpg

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
I dont draw characters from behind often, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing right or wrong. I already have a tread running for this, and I've gotten some feedback on fixing the tail, but I figure its best to get as much constructive crit as u can right? So other than the tail I'm mostly concerned about the back muscles and the back of the head. If you'd take a look, I'd be extremely grateful :)

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/837221/

blotch

MaverickSwiftfoot said:
I could use some help with this. I know they're both human, but hey, humans are anthro monkey's, soo...

Anyways, I need help with their faces, arms, hands, and legs. :B

Hullo!

I can tell you used some reference and have practiced drawing people before! Your proportions are great, specially with the woman's arm.
When having trouble with hands, the best thing to do is check out your own hand--figure out how it moves, and if it's possible in the pose your looking for, try to sketch it from life. It's best to do it a few times large on a separate sheet of paper to really get a feel for the pose. Buuut, sometimes when you can't contort your hand into the right way, a photo is the best to help you figure it out and keep it looking natural. I found a photo with roughly the same arm and hand and I hope it's helpful. :]

Drawing the figure really is mostly about practice and paying attention to proportions and ratios. For instance, your elbow touches your midsection when its folded in and the top of your ear lines up with the corner of your eyes. You've got a good grasp on the anatomy, and really, the only thing you're missing is what you haven't put to paper yet. :]

My best advice is to take a running start. Take a stab at the hands! If you need specific help with them, I'm happy to offer it.
So far what you have down on paper all looks nice and sound as lineart. I'd really like to see you take the next step and start to add some dimension with shading. :]

I added a couple little redlines for nit-picky things--one for help with the woman's hand on the hip, another for the woman and man's face. The woman's neck is a little long and I just moved her head and features down a little.

I hope I was a little helpful! You're on the right track! :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

PS <3 the Anthro Monkeys!

blotch

Hullo!

I'm glad to see some of your recent art! You're dragons have improved and the pose is very dynamic. It also looks like you're getting a grasp of good wing mechanics. Very nice! :]

If you're going for making a plausible flying dragon, the one thing I would recommended considering adding is more of the wing skin/membrane to stretch down to the dragons hips, or even lower and attaching onto the tail. The reason being an animal needs to generate a lot of lift to fly. The more air you can trap under your body/wings, the more likely you will be able to become airborne. If you look at a bat, their wings attach to the tips of their tails to provide maximum lift.

Also, on the wing "hands," it would probably be more organic and natural to model them after real "hands." Even a birds wings are evolved from fingers, and as you can see in a bat's wing, a bat sill uses it's fingers for flying. Have the "fingers' of the wing coming from a central point in the "palm," and I suspect it will look more natural. When I was a kid I'd roll up long pieces of paper and use a rubber band to attach them onto my fingers, making each finger really long, and I'd pretend to be a dragon. Drove my parents nuts flapping around like that, I'm sure.I confess I think back to that when I'm drawing dragon wings and try to consider the range of motion the wing "hand" could provide.

Your sketch looks really great and I hope to see some more dragons from you! :]

As to digital coloring--topic for another day? ;)

Cheers,
-Blotch

Icarus said:
I'm still working on connecting the wing shoulder to the body.
Then making it look smoother, more organic.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/Draconic33/spineddragon-1.jpg

And some hard/soft brush coloring (digital) tips would be nice :) .
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/Draconic33/eyepracticecopy.jpg

blotch

EmilAnarchy said:
I dont draw characters from behind often, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing right or wrong. I already have a tread running for this, and I've gotten some feedback on fixing the tail, but I figure its best to get as much constructive crit as u can right? So other than the tail I'm mostly concerned about the back muscles and the back of the head. If you'd take a look, I'd be extremely grateful :)

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/837221/

Aaah, the back. Everybody's favorite! ;)

Firstly, I have to compliment you on your nice solid line work! Looks good. :]

Now! The tail!
The most important thing about a tail is it's the continuation of the spine. Humans have tail bones--you can feel yours. On an anthro, the tail would pretty much pick up where your tailbone leaves off--right between the buttcheeks. ;)

The back is tough. There's a lot of range of motion in the shoulder blades. Roll your shoulders around and you'll see what I mean--those buggers move all over the place. A photo is always a good place to start, unless you have a willing victim you can force to pose. Since your drawing is a little simplified, since it's just line art, I'd say you have as much detail you could put into the back without overworking that particular area. You've shown the scapula, and it looks about right. I add a nitpicky kind of red line for good measure, though. :]

What really jumps out at me is your characters legs are on a slightly different plane than the rest of your pose. With the way you have the back and hips tilted, your character is actually not facing directly with their back to the camera, so you have to adjust the legs to fit with the rest of the body. :]

Hope that was helpful!

Cheers,
-Blotch

M. LeRenard

Is not French
Hey... Blotch is doing redlines. This might help.
Normally I wouldn't ask for a redline, but this one's for a commission, and I'd like to get it looking nice.
This is my first attempt at drawing an anthro kangaroo, and I'm having a hell of a difficult time. The pic is attached (pardon the crummy quality of the scan); I'd like to know how totally bad it still looks. Mostly it's the legs and tail that bother me (and the right arm is probably too long, but I know how to fix that)... anyway, any advice you could give would be appreciated.

One more thing, if you would. Do you have any general advice on how you do such nice looking paw-hands? I attempted it in this one, but... yeah.
Thanks again.

MilkHermit

The Dread Koalapus
Hey there Blotch. First off I just wanted to say how supremely awesome it is to see an artist of your caliber "walking among the commoners", as it were. :p Most artists wouldn't give amateurs a second glance, and I love that you're willing to help out those of us struggling to improve.

Anyway, enough with that. ^^ I'm pretty new to drawing anthros myself and am mostly struggling with arms. They're just an absolute nightmare for me. This is a WIP I could use some help on. She's a Digimon so she's supposed to be a little pudgy and unrealistic, but that shouldn't apply to basic anatomy! If you could redline the arms/hands and the neck area, I would be very indebted. Thank you times a million!

blotch

M. Le Renard said:
Hey... Blotch is doing redlines. This might help.
Normally I wouldn't ask for a redline, but this one's for a commission, and I'd like to get it looking nice.
This is my first attempt at drawing an anthro kangaroo, and I'm having a hell of a difficult time. The pic is attached (pardon the crummy quality of the scan); I'd like to know how totally bad it still looks. Mostly it's the legs and tail that bother me (and the right arm is probably too long, but I know how to fix that)... anyway, any advice you could give would be appreciated.

One more thing, if you would. Do you have any general advice on how you do such nice looking paw-hands? I attempted it in this one, but... yeah.
Thanks again.

Hullo!

His head, ears and body are extremely kangaroo-ish and look great!

Kangaroos are hard to anthropromorphize since they are already plantigrade and walk (well, hop) on two legs. I suppose you have to ask yourself if you'd rather humanize the roo all the way to the point of just having normal human legs with 'roo feet (and no more hopping to get around, just walking like a human)--or something more true to the animal which would probably give it a bouncy kind of gait. Looks like you went for the more animalistic approach (which is good, because I like that more--I mean, what's a roo without the jumping? ;] )

Anyway! If an "anthro" kangaroo is static and sitting up, its weight goes back onto its tail and its feet are flat (toes to heel) on the ground, back straightened. The legs would have to be a little longer in the thigh to accommodate for when the kangaroo would be moving. Roos have immense thigh muscles and you have to get across that they are solid and able to propel the guy forward.
You'll have to do a little foreshortening to give the illusion of depth with the roo's knees coming toward you. If you move the fingers of the hands, which are resting on the hip, to curve follow the line of the leg coming toward the viewer, the could help get it across.

Roo's really are subject to a lot of interpretation but the most important thing is to make your character look like he's solid, has weight and is in contact with the ground. He has to feel "heavy" and powerful (not muscle bound, just in the sense he could leap off the page if he wanted.)

About the tail--keep in mind the tail is the extension of the spine. It should come out straight and down from the point of the tailbone in humans, then have a natural, gentle curve. Roos use their tail for balance, both as a "third leg" while sitting upright, and as a counter balance when their in locomotion. If he's just standing like you've drawn him, the tail would probably just be straight out behind him, helping him support his weight--but for the sake composition, I think you can get away with curving it back around into the picture. Just make sure its coming out where it should! :]

Kangaroo feet are weird. They have three toes (the middle two toes became fused a long time ago.) I threw some photos on there of 'roo feet for some reference, since a picture is worth a thousand words. :]

All in all, he's a great looking roo. People usually try to draw them with canine faces when they really look a lot more like giant rabbits. You did an excellent job on the face and the roo's ears are the right shape. If all you did was modify the feet to be a little more roo-ish, and forgo all my ramblings about roo locomotion, I think you'd still have a good anthromorphization of a kangaroo. :]

I hope my advice was at least a little helpful!

Cheers,
-Blotch

blotch

MilkHermit said:
Hey there Blotch. First off I just wanted to say how supremely awesome it is to see an artist of your caliber "walking among the commoners", as it were. :p Most artists wouldn't give amateurs a second glance, and I love that you're willing to help out those of us struggling to improve.

Anyway, enough with that. ^^ I'm pretty new to drawing anthros myself and am mostly struggling with arms. They're just an absolute nightmare for me. This is a WIP I could use some help on. She's a Digimon so she's supposed to be a little pudgy and unrealistic, but that shouldn't apply to basic anatomy! If you could redline the arms/hands and the neck area, I would be very indebted. Thank you times a million!

Bah, you flatter me. ;]
Trust me, I didn't wake up one morning able to draw--I could scan some of my old sketchbook pages (all the while cringing) and you'd see just what I mean. I went to school for art and struggled and made a couple breakthroughs and here I am today--still trying to improve. ;]
I really enjoy helping people when I can and it's a pleasure to return the favor in a round-about way to the people who helped me when I was learning.
That said, onto your sketch!

Anatomy comes down to proportions and ratios. For instance, the human body is nine heads high, the top of the ear is directly in line with the corner of the eye, your foot is the same length as your forearm, etc etc.
That kind of thing in mind, here's a little trick you can apply to arms:
Your elbow will touch your midsection, just below the ribs. That's one way you can make sure your characters arms are long enough or measure against them being too long.

On your drawing, there's just some pretty basic, easy to fix anatomy issues. The breasts are a tad high (easy enough.) Your arms and legs look a little short... Everything looks to be the right shape, just a little out of proportion. A thigh is roughly the length of the elbow to the fingertips, same with the calf, and a foot the length of the forearm.

You've got a great grasp of what you're trying to put on paper. All I can really say is practice! :] Try to pay attention to natural ratios in the body. Photos are always useful for specific parts of a picture if you need a quick reference. The best would probably be yourself and a mirror (or if you have a willing victim you can force to pose.)

Hope my advice and redline is a little useful! :]

Cheers,
-Blotch

Emil

Roll Fizzlebeef
Hello again! I have this piece here I completed for the Draw the Person Above You thread. I've already shown it to Jinxsis and she was very pleased. But I was wondering what I could have done better. Thanks for any help :D

http://data.furaffinity.net/art/emilanarchy/1192916910.half.emilanarchy_jimxsiscolor.jpg

MilkHermit

The Dread Koalapus
Thank you so very, very much! ^^ That helps a lot, and I'll definitely start working more on body ratios. (And yes...I measured my forearm with my foot. :p) Thank you again!

blotch

EmilAnarchy said:
Hello again! I have this piece here I completed for the Draw the Person Above You thread. I've already shown it to Jinxsis and she was very pleased. But I was wondering what I could have done better. Thanks for any help :D

http://data.furaffinity.net/art/emilanarchy/1192916910.half.emilanarchy_jimxsiscolor.jpg

Looks awesome! :]
Body and anatomy all look nice and sound.
If you want me to get nitpicky, all I'd have to say is the right eye and ear look a tad small. >:]
Still, that's just me wearing my fussy pants.

blotch

MilkHermit said:
Thank you so very, very much! ^^ That helps a lot, and I'll definitely start working more on body ratios. (And yes...I measured my forearm with my foot. :p) Thank you again!

I just love telling people about the forearm/foot ratio, because I know they're going to do it. >;D

Glad it was helpful!

Cheers,
-Blotch[/i]