• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Important: Official Newcomer's Guide - Let's make something better!

Scrydan

Staff Dragon
It was about time we unsticky that old thread. It is about time we get something official. Without furtherado, let's do this thread!

Here is the old thread for reference. Yuck!

What I want from you community members is some ideas to remake into a new true official guide. Helpful posts/suggestions only. Remember, this is what new users will see! Let's introduce them into a nice wonderful friendly community.

So what are some thoughts?

======= Current Mock up =======
Welcome to the Fur Affinity forums! It is here you can learn all about other furs and artists and also discuss various things. Now there's a few important things to keep in mind.

...stuff and things here!

Some common questions have been answered!

...some answers to some questions here!

This is a simple bare bare bones template! This will be edited more later.

Last edited:

Asher Grey

Probably Sleeping
I just want something official and unbiased, an objective list of rules of etiquette. The last one seemed more to me like someone wrote it to complain about the kinds of people they disliked and making (what felt like to me)arbitrary rules against a ton of subjects as opposed to providing any form of actual guide. Really, the whole set had a "don't post at all" voice. And it wasn't even that subtle.

As long as it's written by someone mature with a realistic expectation of forum guidelines and etiquette, I'll be happy. But the "don’t flaunt your furry pride in real life or online." and "we aren't a hugbox? And that the majority of us would rather troll you than give a shit about your LOlKawaiiDeSU posts." type rules, again, just sound like someone using the guidelines to complain. Do I think both of those kinds of threads are outright stupid and stay far, far away from them? Yes. Very much so. But not enough that we need to have separate bullet points about it.

Over half of them are petty and unbecoming and could be boiled down into legitimately mature terms. Just focus more on things that the forum welcomes and less about things that might annoy others.

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
I'm so glad to see the newcomer's guide redone, the last was was well.... Yuck is the proper term. Here's a little thing I wrote up instead of showering lol

Welcome to the forums newcomers!
Please remember to read the Terms and Rules if you haven't already Terms and Rules | Fur Affinity Forums
If you have any questions feel free to PM anyone or leave the question in your introductory post, I'm sure someone is more than willing to help.

When posting:
Don't be afraid to make mistakes!
As long as you had good intentions no one will come and maul you.

Accidentally posted a to the wrong subforum? No problem, I'm sure someone will kindly redirect you.
Accidentally necro a thread? It's okay! Delete your post and don't go back to it.
Accidentally do anything wrong? It's all good. Address the situation simply and properly.

My point is we all were newbies to this site, and we all make careless mistakes. It's a-okay!

Here's some things that are not a-okay, and why. I call these, the Seven Sins.

1. Posting mature content (NSFW) of any kind in any way. This includes hiding images or text behind spoilers or posting links that lead to NSFW.
Remember that this site is not age restricted and minors are active and able to view all the contents of this site.
- Exception is if for example you are seeking to do a private NSFW roleplay with someone 18+. Post only what you are looking for but no explicit details. Take the graphic content somewhere else
2. Hate speech/harassment. Just don't harass anyone y'all. It's not cool. You don't know people's home life and using a screen to hide behind is pure cowardice.
*if you are coming onto this site simply to troll or disrupt the peace, you might as well leave now because mods will remove you sooner rather than later
3. Promoting zoophilia/bestiality or pedophilia (or any sexual crime). This goes back to mature content, and also it's illegal.
4. Scamming in any way. This is well, illegal.
5. Arguing with mods. Debating and just flat-out being problematic is two very different things. Mods dedicate their time to maintaining this site and should be respected as they respect you. They are not tyrants who ban and silence users just because they disagree with users, it is simply to maintain the terms and rules.
6. Do not post controversial thread topics with the intent of causing uproar. If you know the topic is controversial or will cause widespread dispute/disgust and anger, don't post it. Your thread will be locked and taken down.
- Exceptions are if you are posting in the political subforum while also following the subforum header rules
- Posting controversy that will spark insightful debate such as if aliens exists or if the government is watching all of us. Ooo Spooky...
7. Forgetting that people have the freedom of speech just like you do. As long as the TaR are followed remember that other users are allowed to speak their mind and express their own opinions. If you see something that irritates you, take a breath, move on, don't get involved, do not subject yourself to more of it. Think of like, puppies or something. Really cute puppies, and there's baby penguins too. See? That's better.

*This list may grow to more than 7 if I think of more to add/get suggested more.*

Opposite of what the old guidelines say, we do care about you.
Life can be scary and hard, and everyone needs a place where they feel like they are welcome and accepted and just, escape for a bit. Instead of bashing on each other, lets support each other. If you can, keep the forums as a place of positivity.
The users here are welcoming and come from all walks of life, we can offer guidance or simply a kind word for those in need. There's a vent thread out there if you just want to ramble freely. Sometimes, we all just need to ramble.

KhakiKukhi

I'm lurking... :3
I'd like to organise it into sections.
Sections such as:
  • Info (e.g. How the site works, what to post where)
  • Advice (e.g. Don't be afraid to talk to us)
  • Warning (e.g. Don't do these stuff or the mods will bring the cheese grater :mad: )
  • Some more sections...
I'm so glad to see the newcomer's guide redone, the last was was well.... Yuck is the proper term. Here's a little thing I wrote up instead of showering lol

Please remember to read the Terms and Rules if you haven't already Terms and Rules | Fur Affinity Forums
If you have any questions feel free to PM anyone or leave the question in your introductory post, I'm sure someone is more than willing to help.

When posting:
Don't be afraid to make mistakes!
As long as you had good intentions no one will come and maul you.

Accidentally posted a to the wrong subforum? No problem, I'm sure someone will kindly redirect you.
Accidentally necro a thread? It's okay! Delete your post and don't go back to it.
Accidentally do anything wrong? It's all good. Address the situation simply and properly.

My point is we all were newbies to this site, and we all make careless mistakes. It's a-okay!

Here's some things that are not a-okay, and why. I call these, the Seven Sins.

1. Posting mature content (NSFW) of any kind in any way. This includes hiding images or text behind spoilers or posting links that lead to NSFW.
Remember that this site is not age restricted and minors are active and able to view all the contents of this site.
- Exception is if for example you are seeking to do a private NSFW roleplay with someone 18+. Post only what you are looking for but no explicit details. Take the graphic content somewhere else
2. Hate speech/harassment. Just don't harass anyone y'all. It's not cool. You don't know people's home life and using a screen to hide behind is pure cowardice.
*if you are coming onto this site simply to troll or disrupt the peace, you might as well leave now because mods will remove you sooner rather than later
3. Promoting zoophilia/bestiality or pedophilia (or any sexual crime). This goes back to mature content, and also it's illegal.
4. Scamming in any way. This is well, illegal.
5. Arguing with mods. Debating and just flat-out being problematic is two very different things. Mods dedicate their time to maintaining this site and should be respected as they respect you. They are not tyrants who ban and silence users just because they disagree with users, it is simply to maintain the terms and rules.
6. Do not post controversial thread topics with the intent of causing uproar. If you know the topic is controversial or will cause widespread dispute/disgust and anger, don't post it. Your thread will be locked and taken down.
- Exceptions are if you are posting in the political subforum while also following the subforum header rules
- Posting controversy that will spark insightful debate such as if aliens exists or if the government is watching all of us. Ooo Spooky...
7. Forgetting that people have the freedom of speech just like you do. As long as the TaR are followed remember that other users are allowed to speak their mind and express their own opinions. If you see something that irritates you, take a breath, move on, don't get involved, do not subject yourself to more of it. Think of like, puppies or something. Really cute puppies, and there's baby penguins too. See? That's better.

*This list may grow to more than 7 if I think of more to add/get suggested more.*

Opposite of what the old guidelines say, we do care about you.
Life can be scary and hard, and everyone needs a place where they feel like they are welcome and accepted and just, escape for a bit. Instead of bashing on each other, lets support each other. If you can, keep the forums as a place of positivity.
The users here are welcoming and come from all walks of life, we can offer guidance or simply a kind word for those in need. There's a vent thread out there if you just want to ramble freely. Sometimes, we all just need to ramble.

Yeah, the old "guidelines' sound unwelcoming, harsh, and off-putting.

Last edited:

LadySajani

etc
I like this a lot better. All I took from the old one was "be nice."

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
I read the first few bits of the old one and then skipped it. This looks to have potential.

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*
I remember reading that when I first joined and I was a bit put off by the harshness of it.

One rule I like to use that is kind of fun but also serves as a catch all is:

"Don't be the reason we have to add a new rule. We really prefer to keep the list short and sweet so people actually take the time to read it. Be nice and use common sense!"

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
The original was fine.

D

Disgruntledfox

The old one really contradicts the behavior of most of the people I've met. The tone carries a teenage touch of we need you here to keep the forums from dying, but we don't care about you. We might just judge you openly in plain sight if we feel you deserve it. Which is kind of ridiculous and immature. Scold them, give them a warning, or use your special powers. That cold tone doesn't represent well. Some folks seemed to care enough to pop by and say hello to me, so it divided my views a bit. This post kind of changes that perspective. It sounds open and inclusive. A tone like this should carry on the guide. I'm glad they're changing it.

LadySajani

Some folks seemed to care enough to pop by and say hello to me, so it divided my views a bit. This post kind of changes that perspective. It sounds open and inclusive. A tone like this should carry on the guide. I'm glad they're changing it.
I hope me mentioning the guide didn't come across as condoning it. :( I didn't like the old one, but I'm new enough I didn't think it was my place to ask for a replacement. I try really hard to help people feel welcome.

Cookie?

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
I hope me mentioning the guide didn't come across as condoning it. :( I didn't like the old one, but I'm new enough I didn't think it was my place to ask for a replacement. I try really hard to help people feel welcome.

Cookie?

Hey if it needed replacing, it needed replacing. Dun feel bad.

D

Disgruntledfox

Cookie?
No. You didn't come off that way. If making people feel welcome was your goal, you did good.

LadySajani

Oh and on the new rules thing...

The site keeps telling me it uses cookies. Why do I have to keep using my own to welcome people?

KhakiKukhi

Oh and on the new rules thing...

The site keeps telling me it uses cookies. Why do I have to keep using my own to welcome people?

Those cookies are for the browser to keep. Not for us. :(

Scrydan

Staff Dragon
(Cookies tell the site information, like login or specific settings. Anyways, let's move along...)

Thank you all for your posts. Already a lot of useful posts and some decent ideas.
I'll be reaching out to some of you and seeing if we can't get something way better going than the old one. Then again, I think anything could be better than the last thread.

KhakiKukhi

I'm here if you'd like some help. Always happy to contribute!

Guifrog

Blue Frog with a Squid
I remember reading those when I came. Personally, I very much appreciate how much this place seems to have changed from that post date. Those suggested guidelines pinned by former staff give me a pretty "uninviting" feeling :c

There's one thing I'd point out, specially after recents events where people brought up a handful of forum bad stuff from the past year (and having witnessed about 3 accounts suddenly changing to pending deletion status at that moment): in addition to making new users feel welcome, it'd probably be interesting to let them know in advance that this place, like any other, isn't free from flaws and bad behavior. However, it has rules and moderators in place to enforce them, and as a community member, it's possible to take actions for the benefit of everyone, such as

1) reporting rule-breaking content;
2) refraining from engagement in a heated thread derailment activity;
3) guiding newcomers politely when they ask questions with seemingly obvious answers for forum veterans, or when they unintentionally make mistakes;
4) bringing suggestions and feedback on forum improvement to the staff;
and so on.

All in all, reminding the new member of having fun, preventing their fun from being spoiled, and keeping it fun to others too.

KhakiKukhi

Oh, thank goodness. I saw that thread pinned and was almost completely turned off from the forums. I'm glad I gave it a few days ^^;

That's exactly what I was afraid of. That the "rules" seem uninviting.

Glad you're with us buddy.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I like this a lot better. All I took from the old one was "be nice."

And what's weird, is that on the old FAF of years and years back....yikes! There wasn't a whole lotta 'nice' going on :p Had the reputation of the most toxic furry community in the fandom, say 5 or 10 years back.

Things seem much more polite now; I'll have ponder if I have any advice or admonitions, to pass along, that haven't been mentioned.

N

Nyro46

I agree with some of the posts here that the old thread definitely doesn't reflect how the forums are today. I get very strong "edgy 2009" vibes from the old one (well, it was posted in 2010, but close enough). I'm glad that this site has over the years changed for the better. I used to be active here in 2015 and I have definitely seen a change having come back now. Coming up with new guidelines/rules will definitely help reinforce a more inviting atmosphere.

I don't know how much I can really add without probably repeating what others have suggested, but I think that new rules/guidelines should have a more organized layout that is easier on the eye and won't detract people from reading. Such as points being organized into a few different sections, and highlighting the main details of a point with whatever else after it. (Sorry, I'm bad at explaining. For example, a point being like "-This is the main point. Here is some other info after that explains in some more detail if needed." And of course to be more to the point, mature, and not be condescending.

Minerva_Minx

CDC predicts zombies...
No illegal, immoral, or unethical posts. If you wouldn't say it to your mom, dad and significant other without fear of an arse whooping from one or more of them, probably don't want to post it here.

FYI: we have a certain set of skills. Skills formed from our years as trolls, moderators, and punks. Skills that make us cyber social. We know social media. We will find your family. We will show them your post. We will gleefully roast marshmallows at your wake.

AcoriStormy

Hoarder of Dimes and Pronouns
Now that I think about it, the one bit of actual useful information I got from the old post was that the ":V" face denotes sarcasm, which would have taken me quite a while to pick up naturally, especially since I'm so used to "/s" ^^;