• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

@@@ OFFICIAL SUGGESTION THREAD @@@

Kaiva

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet (thread is f***'n long) if so, just delete this post or whatever you guys do.

Could new donations maybe be used toward replacing the current servers/whatever with unix based servers running flood detection type things that might possibly make the recent DDoS attack from hell be one of the last we have to endure?

Maybe we could have a system in place that would automatically refuse further connections/access from any Specific IP that is attempting to flood the site or whatever?

and a unix based system in general would be MUCH more secure, and would enjoy stability unknown to the shit we know as windows. :3

I'd be much more inclined to plink my hard earned cash into an effort like that rather than maintaining the current setup (which seems to be quite susceptible to attacks)

Oh yeah, my boyfriend (who is a IT professional) recommends a hardware firewall... should help prevent DDoS attacks from ever being an issue. :twisted:

Planeswalker

Kaiva said:
Maybe we could have a system in place that would automatically refuse further connections/access from any Specific IP that is attempting to flood the site or whatever?
Won't help against DDoS. When the attack becomes big enough, just refusing connections won't do crap since even the number of connection attempts alone drive the server to ground. Also, the very distributed nature of it make blocking IPs very inefficient. If the attack was repeated constantly from same address instead of being distributed like it is, then blocking would actually do some good.

Ergo: Blocking is good if it's DoS attack, but blocking does practically nothing if it's DDoS attack = you'll be likely blocking regular users more than the attackers.

Okays, I performed a little search that didn't bear any fruit, but I'm sure that this has been requested before. . .

Allowing the use of :iconusername: code in the commission status section.

I mean, it's no big deal; nothing wholly important. I'm just a fan of :iconusername: and would like to see it as an option for utilization in commission status lists.

coffinberry

i'd also love to see a way to block users in this forum. if i hate what foxydouchbag23 writes all the time, i can block him, and when he posts i can have the option to view what he wrote. similar to what is on the SA forums.

Darkfurryoverlord

A roleplaying section in the forums, for people to get in the "furry mood" and build large stories for theyre furry selves. People would create new threads for new stories, but of course their would be limitations, such as no one player can claim to be overlord of the whole world. The admins do that well enough :roll:

Just a random idea i came up with while playing Star wars battlefront 2

Kitoth

I have a suggestion that is most likely very tough to do, but since there is no search feature, would it be possible to set up a way so that those who are on your watch list do not show up when you browse for new work? Reason i ask is because with new account and artists browsing though at least a dozen pages can be difficult sometimes especially when not all artist mark the image or story as an mature to adult image properly or give details like if its a male, female or couple or even species so browsing by species or gender can sometimes not include all pics. Basically a check mark box if possible to exclude artist on your watch list to see who is actually new.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Oo! I just thought of one, people! Howabout a section under management called "page views", so u do not have to waist ur own view to view ur own user page to see how many views it has. Jus' a thing to throw out there

ryan200

disable avatars

i suggest an option to disable the view of avatars it could increase the speed at which a page loads and save bandwidth. if only a few people turn it on you will save more bandwidth than not having the option at all.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
ryan200 said:
i suggest an option to disable the view of avatars it could increase the speed at which a page loads and save bandwidth. if only a few people turn it on you will save more bandwidth than not having the option at all.
It's there already
http://www.furaffinity.net/controls/site-settings/

kylr23

this place seem to lack of a screen shot catercory when submiting a art. Games can be art you know :p

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Yes, but most of the time, game screenshots are irrelevant annoying spam.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
i do not if anyone has this one yet
Mature Submissions: Must be 17 or older
Adult Submissions: Must be 18 or older

Planeswalker

brownsquirrel said:
So what's the difference for the person uploading the submission? I don't see any based on that. And I still have no idea what's the real difference between the two.

RoseStorm

Hi all...I am new and in setting up my FA I noticed the commission tab is all centered on art. While you have blank areas to put other things helps it is in the history portion when you list years experience not until you look on your page do you see it say "Years of drawing experience: " Why not just leave it years experience or have separate one for each major category (art, writing, music) That way those of us that can't do art and want to do stories or poems or even music for others can.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Planeswalker said:
brownsquirrel said:
So what's the difference for the person uploading the submission? I don't see any based on that. And I still have no idea what's the real difference between the two.
It's a year difference and i kind of got the idea from how the ESRB rates games like M for Mature: 17+ and AO: 18+, cause heck, we all are mature about at 17, right?

Hey guys
It'd be reeallly neat if you could change the :iconusernamehere: code so that instead of showing the icon and the username, it just shows the icon. It'd save alot of space when people want to list artists in their journals or something, not to mention that having both the icon and the username is kind of redundant!

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
soundhound said:
Hey guys
It'd be reeallly neat if you could change the :iconusernamehere: code so that instead of showing the icon and the username, it just shows the icon. It'd save alot of space when people want to list artists in their journals or something, not to mention that having both the icon and the username is kind of redundant!
I think this was discussed a while ago, not sure, but anyway...
Not a problem, but we can't change it due to backward compatibility. We can only add something new. What macro would you propose for it?

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
yak said:
soundhound said:
Hey guys
Not a problem, but we can't change it due to backward compatibility. We can only add something new. What macro would you propose for it?
I think :linkusername: would work.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Preyfar said:
yak said:
soundhound said:
Hey guys

That name is already taken, and documented in my journal. It's used for exactly the same purpose as it sounds.

yak said:
Preyfar said:
yak said:
soundhound said:
Hey guys

That name is already taken, and documented in my journal. It's used for exactly the same purpose as it sounds.
how about :usernameicon: is that possible?

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Hmm, yeah, quite possible.

[edit] check http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/41799/#cid:2068339

But be aware that DeviantArt style "stringing-together-several-icons-on-purpose-for-lulz" type of abuse will be frowned upon and prevented.