• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

@@@ OFFICIAL SUGGESTION THREAD @@@

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Would it be nice if the softwere let us take groups of comments into a different thread for one tangent conversation that are probably derails get interesting, but would be better elsewhere

No idea if the softwere can do that though
Merging! That's an awesome idea!

Something tells me it's not possible at the moment.

Well maybe I spoke too soon.

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin
Merging! That's an awesome idea!

Something tells me it's not possible at the moment.
More spliting the way i thought of it, certan comments would leave the thead the started in and move to a new thread for the tangent

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
if your not careful you're gonna be ridden.
*gets forced into a horse riding attire, and grumbles something about it being your turn next time*

"ONWARD, MY TRUSTY STEED!"

quoting_mungo

Would it be nice if the softwere let us take groups of comments into a different thread for one tangent conversation that are probably derails get interesting, but would be better elsewhere

No idea if the softwere can do that though
Technically mods can merge/split threads like this, unless the functionality was in a plugin no longer in use. The UI for it is kinda ass, and it's not something I'd ask of staff to stay on top of, though.

What users can do is use the reply function, then paste the stuff that pops into the post text box into a "create a thread" text box instead. It should still notify the person you're replying to, since it's still got the references to the prior post and the user making it, but it will be a new thread and the most off-topic conversation that needs to still exist in the original thread at that point is a quick "this was going off topic so I made a new thread: [link]"

Lexiand

Werewolf With A Picsaw
Maybe a official group feature on the main site.
I'm sure people would like this.

Violet Fox

So... I have no idea if this has been suggested before and I know it would entail a lot of work buuuuuttttt... Has the current FA staff team tried a multi tiered staff approach? I know it sounds weird to say it like that but hear me out. I do have some experience working with this system and it does work. I help moderate a 40k+ discord server, and while this doesn't translate 1 to 1 in terms of how things work elsewhere I find this system actually does a lot for a volunteer team and helps split the work pretty evenly.

Admins> Oversee bigger decisions and help iron out issues with how rules are understood and enacting bigger staff stuff, probably what they are doing now. Plus helping with Mod actions.

Mod> Oversee bans and ban appeals and issue warnings. They also help guide the hands of the staff below them.

The missing link (I'll call them Ambassadors)> This should be the backbone of your staff team, able to remove posts, and send users messages to inform them of light staff action. I'm not talking bans or warnings, but lighter offenses that doesn't need a harsh warning but a more gentle nudge to get their act together. They'll also bring up problems to Mod attention if something needs more experienced/harsher staff action.

I don't know how forum moderation works, but for our server we have a google docs that allows us to log people's accounts and their problems. Lighter offenses obviously don't need to be logged, but spewing insults over multiple comments may need a heavier approach. We've found it's best to give out corrective action than outright ban disruptive behavior, if people know they are doing the bad then they'll generally stop doing the bad.

This multi tiered system has many advantages, it allows for checks and balances on all levels, it allows for more accurate staff action, and it allows Mods to actually look at reports to see if other action is needed. It also allows new staff to work their way up the chain, knowing that the most senior and trusted staff are Mods and can be relied on if confused. This system also allows senior mods to delegate tasks or focus on more important issues instead of the tedious ones.

The disadvantages is integrating it into your current system. You wouldn't need to train current mods, just shift focus to hiring new staff and training them in a new approach.

FA, both the forum and image site, is huge and both need consistent and accurate moderation. I feel this system might help the current staff team and hopefully FA as a whole. If this idea is shot down in favor of your current system then I do understand, but if you'd like to know more of the inner workings then I could assist with more information if needed =3 Just reach out to me, I'm always lurking somewhere.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I'd just like to reiterate the opinion that any additions to staff should have no reprimands and no bans on their record, since if you can't abide by rules of the forum, you shouldn't be enforcing the rules and representing the forum.

I think this is a simple, common sense request and warranted given past events.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I'd just like to reiterate the opinion that any additions to staff should have no reprimands and no bans on their record, since if you can't abide by rules of the forum, you shouldn't be enforcing the rules and representing the forum.

I agree, if mods have to regularly delete your messages, for instance because you can't help turning random topics into your political soapbox, you shouldn't be going around telling others about what the rules are! at least it should be common decency.

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
So... I have no idea if this has been suggested before and I know it would entail a lot of work buuuuuttttt... Has the current FA staff team tried a multi tiered staff approach? I know it sounds weird to say it like that but hear me out. I do have some experience working with this system and it does work. I help moderate a 40k+ discord server, and while this doesn't translate 1 to 1 in terms of how things work elsewhere I find this system actually does a lot for a volunteer team and helps split the work pretty evenly.

Admins> Oversee bigger decisions and help iron out issues with how rules are understood and enacting bigger staff stuff, probably what they are doing now. Plus helping with Mod actions.

Mod> Oversee bans and ban appeals and issue warnings. They also help guide the hands of the staff below them.

The missing link (I'll call them Ambassadors)> This should be the backbone of your staff team, able to remove posts, and send users messages to inform them of light staff action. I'm not talking bans or warnings, but lighter offenses that doesn't need a harsh warning but a more gentle nudge to get their act together. They'll also bring up problems to Mod attention if something needs more experienced/harsher staff action.

I don't know how forum moderation works, but for our server we have a google docs that allows us to log people's accounts and their problems. Lighter offenses obviously don't need to be logged, but spewing insults over multiple comments may need a heavier approach. We've found it's best to give out corrective action than outright ban disruptive behavior, if people know they are doing the bad then they'll generally stop doing the bad.

This multi tiered system has many advantages, it allows for checks and balances on all levels, it allows for more accurate staff action, and it allows Mods to actually look at reports to see if other action is needed. It also allows new staff to work their way up the chain, knowing that the most senior and trusted staff are Mods and can be relied on if confused. This system also allows senior mods to delegate tasks or focus on more important issues instead of the tedious ones.

The disadvantages is integrating it into your current system. You wouldn't need to train current mods, just shift focus to hiring new staff and training them in a new approach.

FA, both the forum and image site, is huge and both need consistent and accurate moderation. I feel this system might help the current staff team and hopefully FA as a whole. If this idea is shot down in favor of your current system then I do understand, but if you'd like to know more of the inner workings then I could assist with more information if needed =3 Just reach out to me, I'm always lurking somewhere.
What server do you mod, if you don't mind my asking?

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I agree, if mods have to regularly delete your messages, for instance because you can't help turning random topics into your political soapbox, you shouldn't be going around telling others about what the rules are! at least it should be common decency.
I've never been reprimanded or banned, unlike yourself, and the mods are free share my record on here to show where I stand.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I feel like these "suggestions" don't really belong here.

Personally I am of the opinion that power should never be given to those who ask for it.

I don't think I could trust your good faith here. Let the existing staff make their own decisions.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.

Personally I am of the opinion that power should never be given to those who ask for it.

I don't think I could trust your good faith here. Let the existing staff make their own decisions.
I wasn't asking for a position, just stating an opinion as a rule-abiding user of this site and its services.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I wasn't asking for a position, just stating an opinion as a rule-abiding user of this site and its services.
The implication is clear enough, isn't it friend? You support yourself for this position and view your "opposition" as unfitting.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer

I personally think this makes sense. But then again I wouldn't personally know staff that have been banned in the past.

I wouldn't be too worried if it was for posting a blurry photo back in 2010 though. XD

I'm not sure where this arguing is stemming from. Its not like they have an ad for hiring on new staff... Right?

*Rushes to check main FA*

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Banned

I agree yet disagree like it should be applied for since the individual is taking a role that is unpayed and added responsibility.
So yeah like a volunteer position that those wanting step up for knowing that they’re taking that responsibility of their own volition and not from being put on the spot via request.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I agree yet disagree like it should be applied for since the individual is taking a role that is unpayed and added responsibility.
So yeah like a volunteer position that those wanting step up for knowing that they’re taking that responsibility of their own volition and not from being put on the spot via request.
It would probably be better to draw from people absent from the FAF itself, since I wager most if not all of us would have some degree of bias in our continued involvement here.

I imagine the staff are too busy to deal with dozens of applications. Of course, this in my mind at least begs the question of why one would even request to take on the unpaid extra responsibility. For the good of the forums? I think our current moderation is doing a fine enough job as is. Maybe not everyone who'd ask for the position would so for this reason, but it's a pretty reasonable suggestion that most users would take it for the power and control of other users. Better to not take the risk when there is no need, in my opinion.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
The implication is clear enough, isn't it friend? You support yourself for this position and view your "opposition" as unfitting.
I don't want to be a mod. I don't have the time to be a mod and I don't want to put my name to some of stuff that goes on and is said here. I also have had very public disagreements with a subset of users who have been disciplinary cases in the past, you included, which would make any hypothetical disciplinary I took look suspicious.

I felt things were mostly under control with SSJMewtwo and I feel things are running as smoothly as possible with Luffy and Flamingo.

I'm not looking to toss my hat into the ring, despite your insistence that I am.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I don't want to be a mod. I don't have the time to be a mod and I don't want to put my name to some of stuff that goes on and is said here. I also have had very public disagreements with a subset of users who have been disciplinary cases in the past, you included, which would make any hypothetical disciplinary I took look suspicious.

I felt things were mostly under control with SSJMewtwo and I feel things are running as smoothly as possible with Luffy and Flamingo.

I'm not looking to toss my hat into the ring, despite your insistence that I am.
Sure sure friend. That's why you condemn those who you dislike from aspiring to the same potential positions while making sure to extol yourself, right? Actually, I've never been banned for anything for which I have not been pardoned for. So, ya' know.

If given the choice between someone you didn't like or yourself, like almost anyone you'd vote for yourself. It's surely a coincidence that you outline a set of "minimum requirements" which just so happens to exclude a portion of the users you dislike and supposedly not yourself, right?

If things are running so smoothly, which I fully agree they are, why should it concern you either way? I suggest we all just make like a tree and leaf it alone.

Not our call either way.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Well I've been cleared of that, so it counts about as much as all the times mods had to delete your posts
I mean, a couple of times, often replying to hateful posts, like certain people's transphobic and racist posts.

This is a reach on your part.