• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

@@@ OFFICIAL SUGGESTION THREAD @@@

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
atleast, thats what it should be. i dont like seeing fetish art while i have sfw on
I'm less concerned about personal preference as I am the fact that minors are on this site. If SFW setting don't mean anything then that probably exposes the site to legal jeopardy.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
I'm less concerned about personal preference as I am the fact that minors are on this site. If SFW setting don't mean anything then that probably exposes the site to legal jeopardy.

I dunno about legal jeopardy. DeviantArt hasn't been hit by any lawsuits (as far as I'm aware of) and they have all kinds of fetish art and nudes/suggestive poses are permitted.

Not saying things couldnt be polished up a bit though. Just not really sure how, since people will intentionally find ways to break everything for more exposure. Tags will only help until people start uploading with every possible tag listed on their submission. Etc etc.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I dunno about legal jeopardy. DeviantArt hasn't been hit by any lawsuits (as far as I'm aware of) and they have all kinds of fetish art and nudes/suggestive poses are permitted.

Not saying things couldnt be polished up a bit though. Just not really sure how, since people will intentionally find ways to break everything for more exposure. Tags will only help until people start uploading with every possible tag listed on their submission. Etc etc.

I think members being able to place and remove tags on submissions they come across (if they want to) might be helpful. It'd help their browsing experience and cut down on misplaced tags. Owners can add tags too but only once, and then it's left to the community. Or maybe community tags might just have priority in search engine. Who knows.

Yakamaru

Shai'Hulud Whisperer. Or a sand hobo
Okay, how can one embed videos to work and play?

Here's an example:

Attached files is limited in terms of size too, and sometimes just normal .png files won't upload either. Would it be possible to expand the amount of files you can upload/embed?
^ To change this around a little as a suggestion:

Be able to upload larger images and variations of files. Currently only some .png images work while others don't. Not saying it's random but it does seem to be rather limited, like pre-2010. .jpeg and .jpg seems to be working fine from the looks of it. Seems to have an upload limit of like, 500-ish KB in some instances while being able to upload 2-3MB images in other instances. Videos can't be uploaded either. Sure you can link the videos but quite a lot of videos and content are not found on Youtube.

quoting_mungo

I think members being able to place and remove tags on submissions they come across (if they want to) might be helpful. It'd help their browsing experience and cut down on misplaced tags. Owners can add tags too but only once, and then it's left to the community. Or maybe community tags might just have priority in search engine. Who knows.
That comes with its own risks, mind. What does a creator do if they’ve drawn a NSFW piece featuring size difference and/or a flat-chested adult female character, and someone adds a “cub” tag? The artist gets in shit for something that a (possibly biased) third party read into their art, that was never intended to be part of the piece.

I think community tagging can be a good tool, but community tags need to be separate/distinct from creator tags, and there needs to be a way for creators to challenge inaccurate tagging, especially when it could result in backlash against the creator and/or administrative action against them. I don’t think the community automatically is going to be better at tagging a piece accurately than the artist who made it.

Lutro

Writer
That comes with its own risks, mind. What does a creator do if they’ve drawn a NSFW piece featuring size difference and/or a flat-chested adult female character, and someone adds a “cub” tag? The artist gets in shit for something that a (possibly biased) third party read into their art, that was never intended to be part of the piece.

I think community tagging can be a good tool, but community tags need to be separate/distinct from creator tags, and there needs to be a way for creators to challenge inaccurate tagging, especially when it could result in backlash against the creator and/or administrative action against them. I don’t think the community automatically is going to be better at tagging a piece accurately than the artist who made it.
Just make the member-submitted tags so that the creator has to approve them before they get added. (With the added option to disable this sort of thing for works or their whole gallery, to curb potential notification spam/abuse).

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
No community tags. Ever.

People thinks it's okay to suggest horrible tags like 'inevitable rape' when they find something attractive, or mislabel characters I draw, somehow mistaking my personal for some other tv Show character.

Art sites should prioritize the actual artists, not just their viewers.

I would leave the site of this ever passed.

(Assuming this is what you mean by community tags)

quoting_mungo

No community tags. Ever.

People thinks it's okay to suggest horrible tags like 'inevitable rape' when they find something attractive, or mislabel characters I draw, somehow mistaking my personal for some other tv Show character.

Art sites should prioritize the actual artists, not just their viewers.

I would leave the site of this ever passed.

(Assuming this is what you mean by community tags)
Good faith community tagging can be a reasonably useful tool. The issue, as you rightly point out/illustrate with your examples, is that there’s no way of ensuring it’s done in good faith. And let’s face it, bad faith tagging will happen. People can be petty, and there’s definitely people who think being dicks is an acceptable pastime.

I’m not as categorically opposed to community tagging as you are (though you certainly have a right to be and make valid points), but I think they need to be kept clearly, visibly separate, tags need to be “professional” (tags like “inevitable rape” would be a HUGE nope and IMO grounds for having community tagging privileges revoked), and the artist should be considered the authority on their own work unless it’s blatantly obvious that they’re abusing the system (either by adding inaccurate tags or by neglecting to add tags to avoid their violations being discovered). Realistically, though, all these caveats put together would likely mean that community tagging would significantly increase moderator workload.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Realistically, though, all these caveats put together would likely mean that community tagging would significantly increase moderator workload.

Perhaps more moderators on board might be useful? I'm not sure how many staff members are on the main site or how many hours are spent etc and I know it's volunteer positions so it's not exactly a "demanding" job as someone could just login for 15 minutes and claim to be doing what they're expected to do buuuuuuuuuut maybe having a more present mod team might be a good start to gaining some consistency within the community (and tag systems) in general. This is not to say the current team is bad, I just think FA is a HUGE community...and as far as I know, we have a very small number of mods. For context, the average play-by-post roleplay forum (that's active) might have say, 30-60 members and for that 30-60 member base activity those forums tend to have around 3-6 staff members outside of admins and co-admins. FA has like, thousands. I'd just imagine that more than 10 staff members (?) are needed to handle the intense workload that comes with a thriving and active community. If things feel fine now for the staff I won't argue otherwise but...it might just be one suggestion in a pile of suggestions that could help the community grow even further (in a hopefully positive direction).

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Perhaps more moderators on board might be useful? I'm not sure how many staff members are on the main site or how many hours are spent etc and I know it's volunteer positions so it's not exactly a "demanding" job as someone could just login for 15 minutes and claim to be doing what they're expected to do buuuuuuuuuut maybe having a more present mod team might be a good start to gaining some consistency within the community (and tag systems) in general. This is not to say the current team is bad, I just think FA is a HUGE community...and as far as I know, we have a very small number of mods. For context, the average play-by-post roleplay forum (that's active) might have say, 30-60 members and for that 30-60 member base activity those forums tend to have around 3-6 staff members outside of admins and co-admins. FA has like, thousands. I'd just imagine that more than 10 staff members (?) are needed to handle the intense workload that comes with a thriving and active community. If things feel fine now for the staff I won't argue otherwise but...it might just be one suggestion in a pile of suggestions that could help the community grow even further (in a hopefully positive direction).

Even if they had a *super strong, ultra-equipped and super-funded staff front, that still doesn't undo the damage of people deliberately upsetting thousands of other users by passively harassing them on a daily basis. I don't think there's anything wrong with artists having full control over their own art.

Just imagine how divided people are going to be warring over the use of fetish tags and other furries proclaiming quadrupeds should all be tagged with zoophilia. That would also imply FA having to define each and every tag. XD

Last edited:

Lutro

Writer
Even if they had a *super strong, ultra-equipped and super-funded staff front, that still doesn't undo the damage of people deliberately upsetting thousands of other users by passively harassing them on a daily basis. I don't think there's anything wrong with artists having full control over their own art.

Just imagine how divided people are going to be warring over the use of fetish tags and other furries proclaiming quadrupeds should all be tagged with zoophilia. That would also imply FA having to define each and every tag. XD
Feel my post was ignored earlier but:

You can have user-submitted tag suggestions without them being visible to anyone but the artist. The artist can then choose to approve/reject them.

(User can also enable/disable user-submitted tag suggestions altogether if they want.)

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Feel my post was ignored earlier but:

You can have user-submitted tag suggestions without them being visible to anyone but the artist. The artist can then choose to approve/reject them.

(User can also enable/disable user-submitted tag suggestions altogether if they want.)

It doesn't exactly fix the problems that would still arise. But we'll just have to wait and see how FA develops I suppose!

Toasty9399

Above Earth
Imagine the trolling

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage

What I said in response to Mungo is (mostly) unrelated to my previous comment.
I should have specified that I suppose. I just think a bigger staff team in general might be good for the FA community.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Also while we're on site suggestions, getting a history of submissions you've commented on (like notes but instead of direct messages it'd just be your comments with a link to the submission and maybe a number showing the amount of replies the comment has) would be nice. Sometimes I forget when I place a bid if the artist doesn't respond until weeks/months later and there's really no way to check back on that unless you save the link yourself. Maybe I'm just too disorganized for the current system, who knows ~

VikkyMouse

This is a fairly minor suggestion, but I would love to see "Archive of our Own" added to 'Contacts and Social Media' of the user profile.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
This is a fairly minor suggestion, but I would love to see "Archive of our Own" added to 'Contacts and Social Media' of the user profile.

Actually a way to input any personal contact field would be preferable.
Such as the ability to input what it is in one field and add a url in the other field or something.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
My roommate picked up on this, but it might be useful to have a report on submission and profile pages so users can report specific content, galleries, or users. I hadn't noticed that before on the main site, but forum does allow users to report specific content so maybe the main site could have this functionality as well.

MattII

In the browse options, in the 'Type' category, under the 'General Things' heading there is the tag 'Fanart'. Yet under the 'Specialty' heading, you also have tags for 'Digimon', 'My Little Pony / Brony' and 'Pokemon'. Would it be possible to get 'Fanart' installed as its own heading?

In addition, would it be possible to get elephants added to the list of species.

RowanORinn

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I really can't be asked to go through all 80+ pages of suggestions here.
I think there should be an option to sort your favourites. For example, they could be automatically sorted by general, mature, and adult but you could also then give the user options to sort them into folders similar to how some artists' submissions are sorted into folders when they want to keep items in a series together in one spot.
A good example of this being implemented is https://e-hentai.org/