• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Offline, who has given you shit for being a fur?

Raspberry

Potatoes.
Why would they? I just like animal characters, woopty-doo.

Maybe if I was a fursuiter it'd be odder but I just like animals. I've always liked animals. I was gonna become a vet until I decided to peruse human medicine instead.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Well....
I'm not sure how my best friend feels about it, but he seems all right with it.

But my roommate jokes about it and also acted a tad apprehensive when he first heard I was a furry. Another friend thinks its weird.
And then there's a friend living a door down from me. Another one constantly jokes about it whenever he sees anything remotely related to it about me (computer desktops, games I'm playing, etc) and he complains about it.

No one's outright awful though, and I can kinda understand people thinking its weird to a point.

EDIT: To a point. Even when I first discovered the furry fandom when I got access to the internet, I thought it was weird that the fandom was hated. I didn't see any good reason for it.

Last edited:

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
But my roommate jokes about it and also acted a tad apprehensive when he first heard I was a furry. Another friend thinks its weird.
My friends are the same way. Whenever I casually mention anything furry-related the mood gets awkward and they change the subject. Which isn't really warranted because it's usually an innocuous comment like "I saw this ridiculous thread on FAF the other day."

P

Phoenix-Kat

My mom. Everyone else seemed cool with the idea or simply didn't care but my mom who is a hardcore homophobic thinks it's a gateway point in turning gay/lesbian and that EVERYONE is in it for the "yiffing". I told her that it's no different than being a "treckie" and going to Star Treck conventions; she said that is wrong too. She says she wished she never let me get on the internet and "loose my innocence".

WideEyed

The only people who have given me any sort of shit for being a furry are the type to wear fedoras in public and post rage comics on leddit. Pic related.

Coincidence? Probably. Still funny, though.

Croconaw

#1 Most Requested Croconaw
My mom. Everyone else seemed cool with the idea or simply didn't care but my mom who is a hardcore homophobic thinks it's a gateway point in turning gay/lesbian and that EVERYONE is in it for the "yiffing". I told her that it's no different than being a "treckie" and going to Star Treck conventions; she said that is wrong too. She says she wished she never let me get on the internet and "loose my innocence".

Considering the rampant amount of sexually explicit content and the lewd mannerisms that most of the online community takes, that isn't too far from the truth.

I get literally zero shit for being a furry. I've even had people stand up for me when they thought that people around me were expressing anti-furry sentiments.

As furries, we've done practically nothing to make the world a more open and accepting place. But we receive all of the benefits of others' hard work. And everyone's ready to stand up for us.

That means something to me, and it's part of the reason why I put up with all of the "furry drama" that comes with being introspective and honest with myself, and outspoken about my thoughts.

WideEyed

Well, to be fair, Hardblush is the reason why I'm bisexual.

Teckolf

Drank ALL the Coffee!!!
Now that this thread has been completely resurrected...

One of my roomate's gives me shit for it. I told my sister as she is into anime and cosplay, and she was suprised but wasn't negative about it. Other than that no one else really cares and I don't really shove it in people's faces.

Riltmos

Airship explorer
No one really makes fun of me for being a furry, no one really makes fun of me at all, at least not in front of me. I think the area I live in is just very friendly and open-minded since I don't really know anyone in person on the top of my head that makes fun of others.

P

Phoenix-Kat

Considering the rampant amount of sexually explicit content and the lewd mannerisms that most of the online community takes, that isn't too far from the truth.
Seems that exists in EVERY online (and not just online) community in some way or another. I guess my mother never learned the concept of "Rule 34".

Kinharia

Drunken Irish Snow Leopard
I got bored in college one day during break and looked up some SFW Furry art. A few people in class started getting curious and I told them "Yea it's Furry art. Just cartoon animals drawn cutely and all" and they all seemed quite cool with it. One even said "Woah just like Robin Hood!" So yea they know I like furries.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
I barely mention it to my friends, but whether i do they always go "your a what?" And then i have to explain it all again and then they just go ooooh yeah that's right and then we shut up about it.

I don't treat it as a big deal.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I had a couple of neighbors ask me about my furcon t-shirt the other day, and both seemed intrigued. I think they were both drawn to the possible spiritual implications of having a fursona (no, I didn't flag that myself), and one seemed particularly interested in how suiting could be used to help special needs children.

Last edited:

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
All of my friends give me shit for it, but only to tease. I haven't met anyone who genuinely dislikes me for it, and I doubt I ever will.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
Publicly being a fur just seems like a shit idea.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
I haven't really been given shit, but one of my friends responded negatively when I told him, but he calmed down when I told him I wasn't one of the insane ones. He responded negatively because of one member of the era of FreshFurs (sudden sudden wave of half the freshmen going furry) rubbing up on him and meowing in the gym.

No ones said anything because I haven't told anyone.

My school is full of asseholes , they annoy me enough without knowing I'm a fur , I'd just end up attacking someone probably.
My friends are always on PC so they'd probably have scattered opinions , not worth the risk imo

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
I haven't really been given shit, but one of my friends responded negatively when I told him, but he calmed down when I told him I wasn't one of the insane ones. He responded negatively because of one member of the era of FreshFurs (sudden sudden wave of half the freshmen going furry) rubbing up on him and meowing in the gym.

Freshmen?
Sorry, this is where the cultural barrier lays between our two countries. What is a freshman? Is it like a junior to college or something?
That's what I'm guessing. How are you in college funky i thought you were younger than me?