• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

oh my god what am i doing

Stizaar

So I've decided that after floundering hopelessly on my own, looking up references and tutorials on the internet that perhaps it's a wise decision to start joining some artistic communities, and actually use my FA page. I'm afraid i'm presently lacking in scanners or working tablets, so I have to make do with a camera phone.
https://www.furaffinity.net/view/7675744/ This is a page where I was trying to practice drawing feet, and there is a small attempt at a full body picture; though because I used a soft, blunt pencil and a small camera phone perhaps it's not very clear. I can do close-ups if anybody's struggling to see the 'details' of the pictures.

Last edited:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Just keep drawing. If this is your first attempt what do you want us to do, tell you to stop? Don't bother drawing anymore? Drawing takes a lot of attempts. You just gotta keep going through it!

A

Ansitru

I'm going to agree with Arshes Nei here: you just have to keep at it! c:

If I may link you to a very handy site to practice drawing human bodies, though: PoseManiacs.
The 3D-models aren't always 100% anatomically correct, but it's still a pretty amazing resource.

Stizaar

Thanks :) No, it's not my first attempt, I've been drawing for a while now, but I suppose I should have been clearer that I just need help improving these pictures, especially the feet which I KNOW look wrong, but I cant quite figure out why they look wrong.

Edit: Ah! Thanks for the site. I have a fair bit of trouble finding reference sites that isnt asking me to pay.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I'm going to agree with Arshes Nei here: you just have to keep at it! c:

If I may link you to a very handy site to practice drawing human bodies, though: PoseManiacs.
The 3D-models aren't always 100% anatomically correct, but it's still a pretty amazing resource.

I would ditch pose maniacs to be honest. There are a lot of other resources that are more accurate and useful. http://artsyposes.com/ is one of them. I used to recommend pose maniacs but the anatomy got so weird and disjointed because they are using Daz models with a muscle skin - therefore not actual muscle it may do more harm than good. Combine your practices with live models. You have feet, draw them. There are anatomy books out there to combine your studies.

http://characterdesigns.com/ is another interesting site. I used to go there more often but I find the navigation a bit difficult due to the mass amounts of flash. (I have flash mostly blocked by default).

There is also this one. http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

Please note the links above may not be work safe due to nudity.

Stizaar

Thanks for all the feedback. I've started making use of my FA profile, and I'm going to set a goal (I won't always meet it, but it's good to have something to aim for) of ten drawings a day, and a serious attempt (with references, tutorials etc) at least once a week. I'm less worried about the nudity, but I do find the huge variety of poses a little intimidating to say the least. :C Not to mention that the pose libraries containing the bare muscle drawings confuse me a little. I can see how it would help anatomy wise, but it's hard to make characters look... fleshy, without that layer of fat and skin. ...That said, I am kinda fat so maybe it'd help if I got out a little and drew people in town as well.

Stizaar

Promising, yes, and I'll definately pick it up when it hits the android markets. Thanks for all the help.
Edit: also that pose trainer thing is exhausting

Last edited:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
No not at all, you may want to look at the art of Ryan Woodward to get an idea.

Gesture is the start of drawing.

Stizaar

So I should be drawing rather simple shapes instead? I looked through his work and I watched his video of a guy and a girl dancing, and I ... think that might be the sort of thing I should be doing?

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
So I should be drawing rather simple shapes instead? I looked through his work and I watched his video of a guy and a girl dancing, and I ... think that might be the sort of thing I should be doing?

Both. Getting the basics down is the key to improving. You need a foundation before you build a house. You need a skillset before you can accurately share what you see.

Drawing basic shapes and forms will be very important to understanding space, form, texture, value and structure. Drawing people will be tough, but practicing and getting comfortable with drawing the human form is essential.

Gesture drawings get the bad wrap as "DURR 2 SECONDS" kind of mentality, but weak gestures lead to weak figures. Gesture drawings are about capturing the essential, almost abstract idea of the curves of the body and its movement. gestures tend to be even more dramatic than reality because it captures movement in simple and few strokes. For me, an average gesture/foundational drawing from a real life model will take me 3-5 minutes.

Somewhere, some fool deemed that speed is the only ingredient of a gesture drawing when it's actually better to capture it and capture it well. These are the people that say you MUST finish a gesture in 2 minutes, or 1 minute, or whatever. Go at the speed you need to capture it. Speed is irrelevant. No one will be looking over your shoulder telling you that you only have X amount of time to draw a gesture (providing you're not in a live model situation, which his or her time up front will be limited). If you're drawing your friend, they can sit put and you draw all you need to.

Remember-- you're gunning for the "essence" of a drawing, not for speed and not necessarily for 100% accuracy when getting gestures done.

Stizaar

Yeah, the more i'm practicing the more i'm theorising that artists don't draw everything precisely and in the right place 100% of the time, rather strive for the illusion(?) that everything is where it should be. Although I was lead to believe that if you drew gestures faster, you were forced to just focus on the essentials and that would make a more genuine appropriation where you don't agonise over it. I'm sort of glad you said otherwise though, because even though I accepted this and tried to do it, my subconscious is incredibly stubborn and i took lots of time anyway.

Even so, i'm trying a new approach baaaased on the quick gesture thing where I will just draw everything, and take stills of each stage and then I'll upload it to my FA and ask people to look at it, but without changing the actual picture. (Because I can't, really, it's already been drawn, coloured, inked and shaded) and then get people to point out what I did wrong and I'll try to do it differently next time.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I'll repeat it again, gesture is the start of a drawing. Do you detail a head before you draw the whole body and position and think it will look right? No, you go over the basic look of what you want to draw and refine it. The reason why a lot of people complain of "stiffness" in their figures is that they were too focused on this really rigid construction method and didn't use gesture to start off the body to show what that person was doing and make it look natural.

Stizaar

...really now. I will be honest, I didn't know what you meant by 'gesture is the start of drawing' but that makes more sense. I always start with the head, it's just natural to me, but I will certainly try differently.

Perhaps a link to my FA will give a better idea of what skill level I'm at: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/stizaar/

edit: also, an issue I seem to have is that when I draw out the stickman skeleton, I seem to have trouble getting the shapes I draw on top of it to sort of... conform to it. Should I change the stickman to fit the shapes, or the shapes to fit the stickman? I've just realised that the simple shape version and the stickman version of the same drawing tend to differ wildly for me.

Last edited:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well the problem with people misunderstanding gesture is a two fold.
People think it's just "quick little doodles" or "warmups"

If you have people do gesture drawings, they think it's solely for "that exercise" and not realize why gesture is important.

The reason I keep saying is that it's the start of the drawing is that then people think in the methods I mention above, they believe that gesture and construction do not go hand in hand. The sad part is - THEY DO.

Stizaar

So once i've put my stickman skeleton down, I should leave it along and try to get the body shapes to conform to it. I've never been entirely sure as to the relationship between the stickman and the shapes that come after.
I'm aware that this is rather basic stuff, so that just shows what kind of skill level I'm at. :p
Thing is that when I try to draw the skin over the shapes, as well, if I try to adhere to the shapes it just makes my guy look... weird. Especially where the shoulders are concerned. I try to draw little balls for the shoulders but too often I find myself ignoring it, and doing what looks right. The shoulders tend to slope down as far as I'm concerned. The same, in fact, moreso tends to happen when I try gesture drawings.

Last edited: