• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Okay, someone care to explain this?

Anbessa

oh, Vanity Fair.

this is what can happen if you let furries who ought to know better/are very extreme in lifestyle and behaviour be interviewed by a Lifestyle magazine whose sole purpose is to deliver LULZ for the masses. that article arouse an outrage within the fandom unseen before, and if I recall right, led into a kind of phobia against medias of any sort. some TV show seemed to prove them right...

I have seen a BBC UK-made documentary about AC, featuring a german fursuiter of my (good) aquaintance, and it was really fair. of course, they were there for the LULZ, too, but nowhere as much sucked 'facts' and 'events' out of their dirty fingers as aforementioned magazine.

typical german TV magazine and newspaper reports are short, but fair, and at least partially recherched. hell, we even have a PR agent who is widely accepted by medias here... last Eurofurence saw footage in two local newspapers, and they were happily interviewing, photographing and generally watching a bundle of nutcases having good, clean, friendly, freaky fun.
and they spelled the names right.

SparkOfMortality

Just checkin' in
Okay. I guess that makes sense. It seems like it work work well as a spark for a catalytic explosion of BAWWWWWW, the likes nof which, never seen before the net.

But now I am face with morpheus and he offers me the red pill, or the blue pill.

"If you are under 18, value your eyesight, or want to continue thinking of the furry fandom and fursuits in general as not being one of the most bizarre things ever, then for for that one little piece of your soul that is still pure and innocent, DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK. Very VERY Not Work Safe!!"

I'm ashamed of myself for finally accepting that the fandom may not be that bad, immersing myslef in it and then one day later, trying not to run like motherfcking forrrest gump.

I'm scared.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Okay. I guess that makes sense. It seems like it work work well as a spark for a catalytic explosion of BAWWWWWW, the likes nof which, never seen before the net.

But now I am face with morpheus and he offers me the red pill, or the blue pill.

"If you are under 18, value your eyesight, or want to continue thinking of the furry fandom and fursuits in general as not being one of the most bizarre things ever, then for for that one little piece of your soul that is still pure and innocent, DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK. Very VERY Not Work Safe!!"

I'm ashamed of myself for finally accepting that the fandom may not be that bad, immersing myslef in it and then one day later, trying not to run like motherfcking forrrest gump.

I'm scared.

*chuckles* Any lifestyle/group/whatever can be made to look horrible if you take the oddest or more extreme deviants of it and do up an article. There are deviants that takes things to extremes in every country, every sect of every cultural subdivision. *shrugs* Part of the wildly variable human-equation.

Truth be told, most furs are quite normal people that blend right in with everyone else, same as most gays blend right in with the straight, Dodge fans with Ford people and so on. You'll be just fine.

talakestreal

The Laconic Draconic
I can sum it up in one word:

Pffffft.

Why oh why do mundies feel the need to analyze something like this. For crying out loud if you're curious, hang out in the fandom for a while and form your own opinion.

*sigh*

I so agree with this response. :)

No newspaper/magazine/ezine/any form of media will ever get the real/truest story about furries, because you always have the weird/outspoken/demented furries pushing themselves to the front to get their few seconds of fame.

If you lurk, you will find out a lot more than if you talk to the people who speak the most. :)

robotechtiger

MROWL! Bleh!
You're not making a great case for yourself calling me a "mundane".

Not trying to make a case for myself or anyone, really.

All I'm saying is that there's no brochure, TV show, or magazine article that can adequately define the fandom's entirety. It's something to be experienced.

And you're no longer a mundane, sir/madam (sorry, dunno the gender :D). The fact that you're here, scanning over the forums and (when it's up) checking out FurAffinity proper, you've already taken the first step away from the mundane and into the fandom.

Should you walk away from it, then you can say you checked it out and it wasn't for you...no problem. But to stand on the sidelines and quote some article about the fandom as the justification for criticizing it...uncool.

SparkOfMortality

Just checkin' in
Yeah I'm sorry about that. Theres an entire site full of that creepy *expletive* and it really put me off. I know I should be judging myself and not listening to others but all of a sudden, everything you say seems like exactly what the anti furs said you would say. My precious viewpoint has been tainted and untill I cleanse it, everything anyone says about this stuff not being true will seem like proving the haters right.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Yeah I'm sorry about that. Theres an entire site full of that creepy *expletive* and it really put me off.
Oh dear. You mean the Crush Yiff Destroy? :D

I know I should be judging myself and not listening to others but all of a sudden, everything you say seems like exactly what the anti furs said you would say. My precious viewpoint has been tainted and untill I cleanse it, everything anyone says about this stuff not being true will seem like proving the haters right.
Now there's the spirit. Making up one's own opinion is what separates us from mindless sheep, isn't it. (No offense to any sheep... furries... whatever)

Also... How is someone predicting a response to something suddenly discredit it? I can predict the first few objections to Creationism arguments, that doesn't somehow make them implausible though.

robotechtiger

MROWL! Bleh!
Yeah I'm sorry about that. Theres an entire site full of that creepy *expletive* and it really put me off. I know I should be judging myself and not listening to others but all of a sudden, everything you say seems like exactly what the anti furs said you would say. My precious viewpoint has been tainted and untill I cleanse it, everything anyone says about this stuff not being true will seem like proving the haters right.

Sadly, you're right.

The anti-furs are right in many cases. A lot of what you see and hear from them is true...not true in, say, my case, but in others...

I can only defend myself and my experiences, and offer any advice solely based on that.

Jack

retarded interviewers who got their info from the wrong people.

it is that kind of ignorant cockamamie bull scat that blinds the public from the truth about fandom, and creates a misconstrued image of our personal views.

Last edited:

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator

Sparky... if someone arms you with the "Hey... this is what they'll say" thing, that's a pretty weak means by which to add credit to their opinions. Think about it... your brain goes "Oooo...hey, they just said what I was told they'd say... so opinion 1 must potentially be correct!" I believe that's called rigging the vote.

Judge things for yourself. I'm sure if you wanted to talk with anyone here, they'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have, maybe even explain their lives for you so that you could see things aren't quite as nuts as those extremist articles point out.

Ultimately though, this is nothing more than a volley of opinions from both sides - people are entitled to have their opinions whether right, wrong or something that cannot be gauged. You can think what you like - it's a perk of being a free person - just make the decision yourself, and take Internet based reports from pro-drama magazines with a grain of salt.

ExTo

Under the sea, near heat vents
Spark : Most people here have the right idea : judge by yourself, and don't be afraid to dissociate parts of the fandom from others in your mind if you have to. A tenth of the fandom or so can be massively creepy, that is for sure, but the rest is mostly fine - you simple have to learn to identify bad apples and stick with the good ones alone. Word of mouth can help giving an idea, and isn't *always* innaccurate, but it often is so and therefore doesn't beat personal experimentation.

Draco_2k

Rawr.
Ehh, why do furries have to be loser freaks that fail at life? Can't normal people be furries, too? I wish they'd interview someone other then the blatant sore thumb sticking out of the croud.
You sure you know how mass media works?

I'm scared.

Hello, and welcome to the internet!

The internet is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it
you will explore some of the most amazing territory ever seen
by mortals. No computer should be without one!

No wait, that's Zork.

I looked at your link. Nothing I saw there shocked me. No, not even that link with the warning in big letters. After what I've seen on the net, you're gonna have to do a lot better than pour a bucket of piss on a guy in a pig costume. My tolerance level to disgusting things is up there ont he level of Mike Rowe. I don't flinch at anything on that show. Well, except an episode last night where they were castrating a horse. But even MIKE flinched at that.

Anyway, the reason I say welcome to the internet is because if a few guys jerking it while wearing animals suits squicks you, you must be new in town. :3

Do a search for tubgirl. Or goatse. Or the guy that shoves AA batteries in his penis. Meatspin is also a good one. And lemon party is always fun for a laugh. I guarantee after watching all those, you'll be numb, and the fursuiters won't bother you so much. :D

A reality you'll have to accept is some people in the fandom have sex while wearing their fursuits. And some have sex with their plushies. Or their pool toys. Or their cars. Or their pets.

If you don't like these things, and you can't accept them, then choose your furriends wisely!

But take heed: These things aren't limited to the world of furry. Anyone you meet... furry or mundane... could be a carfucker.

http://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/35862?search=car
http://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/27933?search=car
http://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/27355?search=car

I don't think I need to warn you, those are NSFW. :D

Do they have secks with their guns, too? Or their house... somehow...
"Hey guys, check it out! I'm raping my bedroom! Now I'm having sex with the freezer!"

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
Ehh, why do furries have to be loser freaks that fail at life? Can't normal people be furries, too? I wish they'd interview someone other then the blatant sore thumb sticking out of the croud.

Heh, that's the thing Nargle - most furries are quite normal. But as Draco points out, the media doesn't go for the normal ones, they want the extremes - they want the ones that will make people go "OMGWTF!?" 'cause that's news. The media has never been interested in fair representation, only in drawing the most attention.