• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Old Coins

Tigercougar

My boyfriend, his dad and I went to my bf's aunts house to help organize the house after her husbands recent death. We found a box in a dresser drawer and opened it, and found a bunch of rare and very old coins. The husband had collected lots of Kennedy half dollars and full dollar coins. He even had a bunch of nineteeth century American pennies and nickels. Coin designs are beautiful, and its fascinating to see nickels and dimes with designs I never knew these denominations had. He also owned a smattering of old foreign coins.

Anyone else an old coin/bill fan?

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
In my safety deposit box I have a large collection of old Silver Certificates, Mercury dimes, silver quarters, nickels and half dollars, and a few gold coins. I also have a big collection of foreign money from all that traveling I did when I was younger. Numismatics is boss status. Though I don't buy into the gold will save you when civilization collapses, it sure is pretty to look at, and lots of fun to collect. Funny story, copper pennies are worth more in copper than they are in money form. Now they just have those lifeless zinc sandwich crap coins. I think the penny should be done away with completely now, since it costs more money to mint and goes mostly tossed into the gutter or the change dish. Every time I try to buy something with only pennies, I always get turned away, so what's the point of having it as money if nobody wants it or accepts it on it own?

Last edited:

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
I love coins. I especially love going to places and having a bunch of US 1 dollar coins jiggling around in my pocket, making me feel like a medieval Lord surrounded by Peasants.

Percy

o-o
The oldest coin I've ever had was a penny from 1892 (I believe), which I haven't seen in a long time.

I'm not a coin collector myself, but old coins and bills are pretty interesting.

Inciatus

In the land of bipolar weather
In my safety deposit box I have a large collection of old Silver Certificates, Mercury dimes, silver quarters, nickels and half dollars, and a few gold coins. I also have a big collection of foreign money from all that traveling I did when I was younger. Numismatics is boss status. Though I don't buy into the gold will save you when civilization collapses, it sure is pretty to look at, and lots of fun to collect. Funny story, copper pennies are worth more in copper than they are in money form. Now they just have those lifeless zinc sandwich crap coins. I think the penny should be done away with completely now, since it costs more money to mint and goes mostly tossed into the gutter or the change dish. Every time I try to buy something with only pennies, I always get turned away, so what's the point of having it as money if nobody wants it or accepts it on it own?
The pennies right now are just electroplated with copper. There really isn't much copper on them at all.

Azure

The pennies right now are just electroplated with copper. There really isn't much copper on them at all.
I think it was in the mid-80's that they became zinc plated with copper. The real gems in the penny world are the 1943 pennies, which are steel plated with zinc, no copper at all. Collector shit. Though I think the quality pennies has gone down drastically lately, they just look and feel like crap.

rapid 99

I think it was in the mid-80's that they became zinc plated with copper. The real gems in the penny world are the 1943 pennies, which are steel plated with zinc, no copper at all. Collector shit. Though I think the quality pennies has gone down drastically lately, they just look and feel like crap.

Probably because it isn't worth the copper anymore. I read that the 1p UK penny costs something like 1.25p to produce!

Percy

o-o
Probably because it isn't worth the copper anymore. I read that the 1p UK penny costs something like 1.25p to produce!
I believe that's also the case here in the US too, that they're worth more to produce then they're worth.

Inciatus

Got plans to pawn it off someday?

You would get less than half the value if you were to pawn the stuff. They have to make a profit too.

badlands

drunken pirate
i've been told that the pre-1985 (they where solid copper at this time) UK 1 pence coins are worth 2.5 pence in scarp

It actually costs about 2.4 cents to make one penny in the US so their basically little money pits. I wouldn't expect them to be phased out until they cost close to 5 cents to make thou.

Anubite

That White Guy
I have a small, but interesting coin collection. My favorite is my 1892 Morgan Silver dollar, what a great coin. I do have a lot of buffalo nickles and wheat pennies too.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I used to have a pretty nice coin collection. I have no idea where it went though.

Azure

Got plans to pawn it off someday?
I'd pawn it for the right price probably. I might sell the gold off to make some quick cash, but I'd find a collector to buy the bills and coins so I could maximize my profit and buy something nice.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
After thinking for a few minutes the oldest coins I had was a 1898 Indian head penny and a 1901 liberty dollar

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
Last year I found a trade token just from digging holes. Good for $.05 in Reinbeck, IA, that's 9 miles east of me.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I have a collection of older coins from all over the world which was given to me by my grandparents when I was in elementary school.
More recently I bought a 10 Reichspfennig piece minted in 1937 from a bowl of coins bearing 'lucky symbols'. Of all places, I found it in a shop in very gay Provincetown :/
images

Last edited:

Ricky

Bumping this thread in case anyone is interested in buying this. Before I do. lol

This is my favorite type coin in US coinage history and is probably the hardest one to collect (except weird shit like the half disme from the Washington times). It was very short lived in mintage because the US government figured out it's fucking retarded to mint a 20c piece that looks like a quarter. I also love the sexy eagle on the back (it's the same exact design as on the back of the trade dollars).

I only have one of these in MS-65 and is the most common one.

This is a proof coin and a CAMEO one at that.

Fucking beautiful.

Inciatus

Wow that is a lovely coin.