• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Old slang that you'd like to bring back

zandelux

AKA Kardek
I was listening to some recordings done at Woodstock (including non-music like announcements), and it was interesting to hear some of the slang they used. A couple stuck out: "dig", which I hardly ever hear but think to myself sometimes. I see it as sort of a blend between "like", "understand", and "feel".

Another one: "cat", which might mean a specific kind of guy but I always thought meant any adult male. It reminds me a lot of "chick" for the ladies... some people react negatively to it but I still hear it in common use. I wonder why it survived but "cat" didn't. I guess there's also "bird" but that's British slang, and I have no idea if anyone there still uses it.

What slang words would you bring back if you could?

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
Gnarly
Dude
Radical
Tight
Sick
Buttery

All the skateboarder/surfer slang from the past
tumblr_oqq4v2IFAo1tfhyyio1_500.gifv

Goldarm

Eshu's left hand
i'm a filthy boomer who still uses old words

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
I still hear some of those, "dude" and "gnarly" specifically. But that could be my age or location. Also your list reminds me of the Special World levels in Super Mario World. Tubular!
I still use dude all the time, but I haven't heard gnarly in a bit.

It's cool to see that word still being passed around.

Kami the Secretary Bird

Eshu's Favorite Raptor
ɛʃə

like the whole thing.

Erix

>‿‿◕
Woah are u guys fr? I use words like sick, dig, and dude all the time. Is it really that relate to hear em around?

quoting_mungo

Woah are u guys fr? I use words like sick, dig, and dude all the time. Is it really that relate to hear em around?
Where slang is or isn't in use tends to be pretty regional; I'm assuming people are going by things they're not hearing regularly (anymore), rather than things that only exist in old black and white media. ;)

I live in a bubble (nah, but I have like 2 local friends aside from boyfriend, and my socialization even online isn't as wide as some people's), so I'm not really up to date with what's current or deprecated language anyway, honestly. I sorta suspect more vocabulary's moved out of my life through moving to a different part of the country after elementary school, than through time.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Decades ago "love" were used to address/refer to a woman in a friendly/loving/caring manner in the UK(and possibly elsewhere). Wouldn't mind bringing it back and for it to be used universally, something of which I kinda already do.

That and I just like the word and referring to people that way. It's cute.

perkele

Bad Faith Argument
I'm an old man, and as such I still use and further would like to ressurect the following:

Dag
Clown (verb)
Ice
(No) doy
Four-one-one
Gag me

mawlee

righteous
bodacious
first two that come to mind, thought of "fire" as well but that has seen somewhat of a resurgence tbh

quoting_mungo

bodacious
You need to play RAD. Hell, anyone in this thread with 80s* nostalgia needs to play RAD.

*) I think it's 80s, at least. Casette tapes, floppy disks, bright colors and triangles. And CRTs. And yes, there's at least one mutation or consumable (I forget which because I'm bad at memory) that includes "bodacious" in its description.

Last edited:

mawlee

You need to play RAD. Hell, anyone in this thread with 80s* nostalgia needs to play RAD.

*) I think it's 80s, at least. Casette tapes, floppy discs, bright colors and triangles. And CRTs. And yes, there's at least one mutation or consumable (I forget which because I'm bad at memory) that includes "bodacious" in its description.
well if it has the word bodacious in it then im sold

Last edited:

Kyrick

some words I use but haven't heard in a while:
geezer (guy)
brother
bangin' (really good)
fire/hot (really good)
oi oi (Greeting)
far out
buttery (because it's buttery!)
Another one: "cat", which might mean a specific kind of guy but I always thought meant any adult male. It reminds me a lot of "chick" for the ladies... some people react negatively to it but I still hear it in common use. I wonder why it survived but "cat" didn't. I guess there's also "bird" but that's British slang, and I have no idea if anyone there still uses it.
bird and chick are both used here but it's a bit brash.

Amy Skye

When you can only think of slang you'd want to remove. That being said I like using "swell" at times describe my day rather than good, and I don't see many people use swell anymore.