• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Oldest Computers You Own

Damn I'm a bit jealous. Oldest computer like thing I've still got around is an Antec Soho File server case, from about 2002. I intended mod it as well as replace all the internal components, but it's just setting around a massive 30lb + shell.

Going old school, but still stylish, I'd like to get my hands on an old iMac G3, complete with hockey puck mouse. I could run an archaic version of Photoshop, and AutoCad on it, and likely still know what I'm doing. Get a sleek Zip Drive for extra style points.

I hated Mac's as a kid since they had no good games on them, but kind of remember them fondly now.

AbstractReptile

Oldest computer I currently have right now is an unbranded Windows 98SE computer on a Gigabyte GA-6BA board

It's got a Pentium 3 CPU at 500 Mhz, with 128 MB of memory, a Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 16, USB Card (motherboard does not have any built-in), and a Linksys network card for LAN gaming.

Hard drive is 40 GB.

Benji Digipawz

Oldest computer I used to have is a IBM Thinkpad T22 Laptop from 2000 with Windows 2000. Now my oldest computer I still have is a Macbook Pro 2.0GHz 8GB Ram from 2008.
Macbook still runs good, doesn't run the latest operating system, but still good for internet browsing.

R

Ruki-the-Zorua

Windows 10 Home Premium. Slow as thinking in office.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Haven't taken the chance to test and see if it works, but I think I have an 80486 somewhere around here that has Windows 3.11 available.

If I no longer have that one, my oldest one sadly is a computer built around 2006 and slowly upgraded that I used for Windows 7 and 8.

MoonriseLotus

Capsaicin Addict
I am still using my 2009 Gateway Windows XP laptop for my writing and artwork, unless I'm recording for a speed paint (since it doesn't have the RAM to handle that).

Working on a screen that is CCFL instead of LED is so much easier on the eyes. I also love the square screens vs the rectangular shaped ones.

And as someone with a motor skill disability, the older layouts of laptops with scissor keyboards are much easier for me to balance with.

I really wish it was easier to find old shell laptops with modern/fast parts...

ASTA

Oldest computer I used to have is a IBM Thinkpad T22 Laptop from 2000 with Windows 2000. Now my oldest computer I still have is a Macbook Pro 2.0GHz 8GB Ram from 2008.
Macbook still runs good, doesn't run the latest operating system, but still good for internet browsing.

Perfect browsing machine. My parents have one of these. That has a Core 2 Duo for its CPU right? I gave them 6 more gigabytes of memory to literally bring it up to speed about two years ago. It was slow as all hell before I got my hands on it.

I'd imagine that it would perform even better if I were to plop an SSD into it, do a light dust clearing of the internals, and change out the cooling fan (I vaguely recall it being a bit loud at one point).

Benji Digipawz

Perfect browsing machine. My parents have one of these. That has a Core 2 Duo for its CPU right? I gave them 6 more gigabytes of memory to literally bring it up to speed about two years ago. It was slow as all hell before I got my hands on it.

I'd imagine that it would perform even better if I were to plop an SSD into it, do a light dust clearing of the internals, and change out the cooling fan (I vaguely recall it being a bit loud at one point).
It does. It's great once you upgrade the memory, It can still be used in todays time, even though the video quality is not 1080p. Still perfect for browsing the web and email. The only issue though, because its from 2008, it doesn't detect SSDs though, thats why I have a new one from 2013 I use for everyday browsing, though I like to still use the 2008 one from time to time. About the performance, higher memory and yes usual cleaning using compressed air to get into those heatsink vent areas inside, and you're good to go. Yes if I do recall, these 2008 macbooks had a problem where the cooling fans would causing a roaring sound and while I was fixing it, reseating the battery was actually was the issue. Although the issue defect is not as bad as the 2012 macbooks with the failing ATI graphics cards that needs to be reflowed every once in a while.

Traget

Oldest one I have is a Toshiba laptop in storage, circa 1993. Has Win 95 on it and still runs just fine, but not a lot that it can be used for sadly.

ManicTherapsid

In Stereo. Where Available.
Oldest one I have is a Toshiba laptop in storage, circa 1993. Has Win 95 on it and still runs just fine, but not a lot that it can be used for sadly.

DOS gaming machine.

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Okay, these might not be *that* old, but I had a computer from 2011 that finally croaked last month, and somehow, an iPad from 2013 that’s working as well as ever.
However, the computer monitor I have in my room is probably older than me. It’s a Dell one. I don’t know the exact model.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Oldest computer I have is the one I use daily, which is from 2012 and was moderately okay for the day.
My Dell 17R N7110 laptop is from 2012 and it works just fine. New CD/DVD drive and a new 1Tb SSD makes a huge difference.

Hound-of-chulainn

There's an old compaq laptop at my mom's that I couldn't install windows 95 on because it only has 32kb of ram. Surprisingly it still works, since it's probably older than I am.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
There's an old compaq laptop at my mom's that I couldn't install windows 95 on because it only has 32kb of ram. Surprisingly it still works, since it's probably older than I am.
Build a DOS box. DOS 5.0 will run just fine on that little ram. Back in the early 80's I used a Compaq portable ("Lunchbox") for traffice signal coordination. I think it only had 32kb of ram and it had two 5.25" floppy drives. One for the OS (DOS), the other for the program. Had to run off of 110VAC, no battery in it. It was heavy, too.

DrifterJellybean

On the dark side since 2011
A Dell Latitude D620, apparently from around 2003.