• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

On Tabletop Gaming... is there a better forum for this?

Reserved_Krolik

That awkward feeling when you can't find the right sub header.

Anyway. I'm currently involved in about 3-4 regular games, and with the last one, it's mostly made up of randos at the game shop, and it's a big group. We're playing AD&D 2nd edition, and we've got 2 problem players as it is. I'm enjoying the system, but the group...

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
You are hoping to find a solution regarding the players?

Reserved_Krolik

I don't know if it's possible to find a solution. I think I just wanted somewhere to vent?
If I knew them better, I'd bring the stuff up myself, but I don't know them that well...

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
Sometimes a brave step is needed. But I agree that you might need to know them better. If worst come to worst then you should voice your thoughts

Reserved_Krolik

Yeah. I had to give push back to one of them during a different game. He tried to BUY the rest of the party. It's been coming out that he may be fudging his rolls.

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
Damn, such a shame, D&D is super fun, I hope all goes well and you enjoy the game

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
Thats great :D! I am hoping for my thesis to be over to focus back on my tabletop games and the one I am trying to make work

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
Oh? Are you building your own system? Or is it a unique setting?

Working hard on making my own tabletop game based on a tactics style, I love making fantasy stuff like bestiaries and logs, so I thought why not make a game with that sort of thematic? Is proving to be hard and fun at the same time.

Reserved_Krolik

When you say tactics style, do you mean like a war gaming thing, with miniatures? My SO has been working on his own system for years off and on, it's more focused on the roleplay aspect, though.

Le Chat Nécro

most thugged-out dope hoe
If you don't feel comfortable talking to them personally, you can always go to the DM. As the person running the game, it's their responsibility to make sure everyone is having a good time.

Though, personally, even if you don't know them personally, you're still in a game together and to me that means you should be able to bring up issues with them. Like, don't be bitchy, of course, but you should feel free to say "hey, we're all supposed to be in this together but when you do things like ___ it makes the experience less fun for me." And chances are you're not the only one getting chafed by their behavior, so if you bring it up in a polite and constructive manner, you'll likely have people backing you up.

I've had a bunch of problem players in my time gaming. Some close friends. People who will sell the whole party into slavery or deliberately ruin a mission just to be a troll. We call it "chaotic stupid".

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
When you say tactics style, do you mean like a war gaming thing, with miniatures? My SO has been working on his own system for years off and on, it's more focused on the roleplay aspect, though.

My view on Tactics I mean a sort of vibe from the Tactics games of Final Fantasy on the GBA and the DS which used a lot of math on them, I am making use of those maths and the calculations to make a tabletop that allows to make a lot of classes and allow for a freedom of play in a sort of chess board.

Reserved_Krolik

If you don't feel comfortable talking to them personally, you can always go to the DM. As the person running the game, it's their responsibility to make sure everyone is having a good time.

Though, personally, even if you don't know them personally, you're still in a game together and to me that means you should be able to bring up issues with them. Like, don't be bitchy, of course, but you should feel free to say "hey, we're all supposed to be in this together but when you do things like ___ it makes the experience less fun for me." And chances are you're not the only one getting chafed by their behavior, so if you bring it up in a polite and constructive manner, you'll likely have people backing you up.

I've had a bunch of problem players in my time gaming. Some close friends. People who will sell the whole party into slavery or deliberately ruin a mission just to be a troll. We call it "chaotic stupid".

Chaotic Stupid, I like that. :D

Well, he DM is my S.O, so I feel like I shouldn't bring it up with him myself. One of the other players apparently did bring it up with him separately. But the way our DM is... well, lets just say he's... conflict avoident.

If they continue on with it, I likely will bring it up with them. They're both power gamers which has made it awkward. They're sort of friends of friend's friends, so I don't really care if they're mad at me, more if it screws up other social interactions.

Reserved_Krolik

My view on Tactics I mean a sort of vibe from the Tactics games of Final Fantasy on the GBA and the DS which used a lot of math on them, I am making use of those maths and the calculations to make a tabletop that allows to make a lot of classes and allow for a freedom of play in a sort of chess board.

Oh, that sounds awesome! I love those games!

Le Chat Nécro

Chaotic Stupid, I like that. :D

Well, he DM is my S.O, so I feel like I shouldn't bring it up with him myself. One of the other players apparently did bring it up with him separately. But the way our DM is... well, lets just say he's... conflict avoident.

If they continue on with it, I likely will bring it up with them. They're both power gamers which has made it awkward. They're sort of friends of friend's friends, so I don't really care if they're mad at me, more if it screws up other social interactions.
Oh geez, me and my SO complain to each other ALL THE TIME. He'll run a game and I will be right there saying "this is what I liked, what I didn't, what you could do to improve, and my feelings about so and so's behavior". Or I'll run a game and he'll mostly be "the rules don't say that!" (he's a rules lawyer) to which I respond "I am the rules!!". Or he'll complain that I let our chaotic stupid friend get away with something, to which I will remind him that he let the same friend have a bear in a Call of Cthulhu campaign. :p

Which makes our relationship sound bad, but I assure you that for the most part we try to provide constructive criticism.

Reserved_Krolik

Oh geez, me and my SO complain to each other ALL THE TIME. He'll run a game and I will be right there saying "this is what I liked, what I didn't, what you could do to improve, and my feelings about so and so's behavior". Or I'll run a game and he'll mostly be "the rules don't say that!" (he's a rules lawyer) to which I respond "I am the rules!!". Or he'll complain that I let our chaotic stupid friend get away with something, to which I will remind him that he let the same friend have a bear in a Call of Cthulhu campaign. :p

Which makes our relationship sound bad, but I assure you that for the most part we try to provide constructive criticism.

Oh I complain to him, I just don't want the other players to complain about favoritism... which I'd expect at least one of the players to do. He's complained that some of my rolls are too easy as it is. (Which is bullshit, he had to roll the same scale, I just had the points in INT for it.)

... Wait, how did that guy get a bear in CoC?

Le Chat Nécro

... Wait, how did that guy get a bear in CoC?
It was the 1920's setting and this guy, we'll call him Yuri, decided he'd be a farmer. But not any farmer. A Russian farmer. Who raised bears. He was a Russian bear farmer. (technically this guy is ukranian by birth, so the russian thing wasn't completely out of left field, but it really was just an excuse for him to use his accent). And because he was a Russian bear farmer, he convinced my SO to let him have a bear that would follow him around on every mission.

It was so ridiculous.

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
"Let us go my bear friend, for the glory of Russia!"

Le Chat Nécro

LogicNuke

To the lulz, dear boy.
Banned
This is random, but if anyone plays Eclipse Phase or Starfinder, I will do indecent things for you to run a game with me.

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
This is random, but if anyone plays Eclipse Phase or Starfinder, I will do indecent things for you to run a game with me.

Oh I seen it. Is on my list of games to try.