• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

On the fence about being a furry

Jish

Hey everyone.

I've always enjoyed animal cartoons. When I was younger, I fantasized about different animals (kangaroos, mice, cats, and others) living together, doing adventures and stuff. Furries weren't the central theme of my life, but they occupied a lot of my imagination.

I'm about to graduate from college now. I have a sock puppet rap group made of different farm animals (it's called Sockhampton if anyone is interested lol), and I project various parts of my personality into each. I still have a special place in my heart for animal shows (but I try to avoid them because I get too attached to characters, then get depressed because they're not real). And I'm very attracted to girl anthros, particularly ones with claws.

I might seem like a textbook case, but I don't know if being a furry would make me happier. I'm definitely scared of what other people (especially my friends) would think. Also, I feel the weight of being an adult quickly coming on, and I don't feel like being a furry would help me adjust to the grind of "real life". And there's still my inability to enjoy fantasy because of its fictional nature.

I guess I'd like to hear what you guys think. Have any of you experienced similar things? Thanks.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
It's a hobby/interest like a lot of other stuff. It's not something you need to talk about with your friends unless they are already interested in it.

Word of advice: Like with a lot of other stuff, keep it to yourself if you do end up with this as a hobby.

The only thing I would recommend is to explore whether or not being a fan of anthropomorphic animals is something for you. People who attend school tend to be a lot more narrow-minded, and anyone who stray too much from the "norm" tend to be scrutinized/attacked for it.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
If you are a furry, then that's what you are, no one can force you into the fandom.
Nor can they understand how you're feeling about the issue.
Then again, usually whenever people have an FA account they're at that point where they've passed the boundary between normal and furry.
But once you made a FA and have a "fursona" or "mascot" for this closet furries, you're gone.

But don't think just because you're at school means you can't, I just never blurted it out or rubbed it in other's face since that just makes the whole thing worse.
Just keep it to yourself since really it's not like you're gay, which even then I never cared about or telling people I was.

quoting_mungo

You enjoy what you enjoy. Call it whatever you like. Animal sock puppets definitely can fit into furry fandom, but there's media with anthropomorphic animals produced by people with no relation to the fandom. Neither is more valid or "better" than the other. Worrying about whether you want to call yourself furry is probably not going to make you happier, though, so if you can, let that particular worry go.

My approach to most hobbies is basically "I'm not going to hide it, but I'm also not going to make a big deal of it." Most or all of my friends/family know I draw furries, because it's something I produce and it's hard not to notice artwork sitting around. Some of them know I draw smut. Pretty sure my parents have seen at least pin-up work of mine, possibly also raunchier stuff, because I was still living at home when I started drawing adult art. Less than a handful of people have given me a hard time about it, and frankly those people's opinions don't really matter. People who think a hobby/interest is worth being a jerk over are not people I want in my life anyway. (Like, the only person who I can think of offhand who harassed me over it also tried to spread rumors about me being into bestiality behind my back and left nasty anonymous comments on my art LiveJournal, while being friendly to my face. Not someone worth being friends with.)

Hiding things tends to make people react as though it's something shameful because you are basically treating it as shameful. Treating things as no big deal encourages people around you to also treat them as no big deal. I'm 33, and the older I get the less I worry about interests being "age appropriate" - who the fuck cares if the intended target audience of a book or show is not you? If you enjoy it, go ahead and enjoy it. Giving up shit because I was getting "too old" for it was something I did in my teens, and frankly hasn't given me anything but regrets in the long run.

And there's still my inability to enjoy fantasy because of its fictional nature.
This honestly sounds like something you may want to speak with a professional about, if possible. Maybe your college has someone at student health, before you graduate?

Jish

Hey thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I thought I had to unite with every facet of furries in order to be part of the community. I'll feel my way around and find a place I fit.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Hey everyone.

I've always enjoyed animal cartoons. When I was younger, I fantasized about different animals (kangaroos, mice, cats, and others) living together, doing adventures and stuff. Furries weren't the central theme of my life, but they occupied a lot of my imagination.

I'm about to graduate from college now. I have a sock puppet rap group made of different farm animals (it's called Sockhampton if anyone is interested lol), and I project various parts of my personality into each. I still have a special place in my heart for animal shows (but I try to avoid them because I get too attached to characters, then get depressed because they're not real). And I'm very attracted to girl anthros, particularly ones with claws.

I might seem like a textbook case, but I don't know if being a furry would make me happier. I'm definitely scared of what other people (especially my friends) would think. Also, I feel the weight of being an adult quickly coming on, and I don't feel like being a furry would help me adjust to the grind of "real life". And there's still my inability to enjoy fantasy because of its fictional nature.

I guess I'd like to hear what you guys think. Have any of you experienced similar things? Thanks.
As a question, do you enjoy anthropomorphic artwork from design standpoint? After all, you're not necessarily forced to stay furry or commit to the lifestyle just because you enjoy stuff like that - nothing stops you from just being "the folk who likes anthro artwork a lot"; it's just not the kind of thing you should worry too much about in the long run. There's no better way to ruin hobby for yourself than to overthink it too much, in my opinion.

(I do like the concept of that band - I already imagine the "Sockturation" trilogy in my head :D )

FeministFoxFelicia

Foxy Felicia
Banned
Who do you think you are, the king of furrydom or something?

Well like no if anything I would be a badass Queen riding on the back of a white Unicorn, fighting fascists and nazis everywhere I go.

And second of all, I’m not saying anything that most of the people on here wouldn’t agree with. Republicans aren’t wanted here.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Well like no if anything I would be a badass Queen riding on the back of a white Unicorn, fighting fascists and nazis everywhere I go.

And second of all, I’m not saying anything that most of the people on here wouldn’t agree with. Republicans aren’t wanted here.
*rolls eyes* That is not the point of her post....... *sigh*

C

CrookedCroc

1496069231037.png

Reiv

I still have problems accepting that I'm a furry
You are worried what others would think about you if they find out that you are furry. Let me tell you that I'm in the same possition. And that most people who complain are edge-faces on the internet. IRL most people don't care, there are people who likes it and kids especially like furries. Just keep it light hearted like any other hobby and you'll be fine. Also you can search up good ways to defend yourself and the fandom, just in case if you want to. ;)

Littlefoot505

AKA Durango Thunderfoot
I say go for it. As Prometheus Fox said, to be a furry, you just have to be a fan of anthro animals. That's basically all you need to qualify. Also, political views don't matter here. I personally am a centrist who hates politics. If you're worried about people irl giving you flack for being a furry, then just do what I do and don't tell anyone irl that you're a furry unless it's someone you trust.