• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Online Friendships

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
I have some online friends that are pretty kool kids, talk to the every morning.

Tabasco

I currently have three online contacts I'd call genuine friends without hesitation. I used to have more, but we wound up drifting over the course of several years, which is just how some friendships go and not something that necessarily reflects badly on them. I've pocketed them from various forums over the years, and it always started as just friendly chat until we found out that we had a ton to talk about, our senses of humor complemented each other, and we were great support despite the distance in hard times and might be the only understanding ear around for some subjects.

Most people are only acquaintances whose welfare I'm vaguely concerned with or people I talk to once in a blue moon, though. I really can't be arsed to have too many online friends, especially ones who want to talk all the time, because it can easily wind up barring me from being able to do anything other than be a pleasant conversationalist when I'm trying to relax on the Internet.

It's just dumb luck, I guess.

Rivers Bluetail

Furry Little Blue Guy
I've met plenty of people online that I do consider friends. While some dismiss this and call it antisocial behavior, it's just one way I enjoy socializing. I've never met anyone IRL that I have on the internet, simply due to impracticality. When I can start going to conventions, I can see that happening. But online friendships can be perfectly fulfilling.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers

Rivers Bluetail

Furry Little Blue Guy
I have a friend that lives in my head. He says he's the only friend I need.
I'm so happy, because today I found my friends... they're in my head :V

Do they tell you to eat people? Because you should listen and go eat people. It's rude to ignore your friends.

Magick

Posing school graduate
I enjoy meeting people online, and usually it goes quite well with a few that I wind up talking to. However, even online I'm a pretty introverted, shy and quiet person so when it comes to chatrooms and such so I tend to become the proverbial wall flower and observe what's going on. Sometimes it's because whoever is involved with the chat is on a topic I know almost nothing about or have no interest in, but when I see something I can relate to I jump in and try to participate.

I wouldn't exactly say I have any actual friends except for maybe one or two online, but I still enjoy the company of a few different people and have a good time chatting with them.

Plantar

Soaked In Sin
I really enjoy just talking to people online about different things. Pretty much anything. I used to be relatively shy about it but I've really opened up now, and would gladly talk about anything with anyone. :J

I'm also looking for more people to talk to, I loooove talking. Feel free to message me sometime. :3

Last edited:

Rivers Bluetail

Furry Little Blue Guy
I've always been curious about what it would be like to meet someone that I've never seen face-to-face before. For some reason, I feel like that would ruin things for me.

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
I enjoy meeting people online, and usually it goes quite well with a few that I wind up talking to. However, even online I'm a pretty introverted, shy and quiet person so when it comes to chatrooms and such so I tend to become the proverbial wall flower and observe what's going on. Sometimes it's because whoever is involved with the chat is on a topic I know almost nothing about or have no interest in, but when I see something I can relate to I jump in and try to participate.

Oh really? Interesting. I've noticed a lot of people that are very talkative and friendly online, are generally more shy in real life. I guess everybody has to have an outlet for their thoughts and emotions. Some people can express themselves directly, while others are more comfortable doing it indirectly.

I've always been curious about what it would be like to meet someone that I've never seen face-to-face before. For some reason, I feel like that would ruin things for me.

Hmm I was curious about that too.

When I met my first online friend in real life, there was a lot of awkwardness and some silence for the first 5 minutes, but then we were able to get along and talk just fine like we normally would online.

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
No. I went to the US for a vacation one time, and I was going somewhere near where the friend lived, so we decided to meet up.

I've never been to any kind of convention in my entire life. xP
Am I missing out on something? o.o

Last edited:

Golden

Oh really? Interesting. I've noticed a lot of people that are very talkative and friendly online, are generally more shy in real life. I guess everybody has to have an outlet for their thoughts and emotions. Some people can express themselves directly, while others are more comfortable doing it indirectly. Hmm I was curious about that too. When I met my first online friend in real life, there was a lot of awkwardness and some silence for the first 5 minutes, but then we were able to get along and talk just fine like we normally would online.
I think that the problem with most introverts is small talk, not general shyness. I know that I can talk with someone forever about Astronomy, History, Philosophy, or Economics. But, I hate talking about weather, or what people do on the weekend, and other irrelevant and obvious shit. Forget it.

Rivers Bluetail

Furry Little Blue Guy
Dunno, never been :p I take it we are. And the awkwardness goes away I guess! I don'y know any of you though.

Like at all. Give it a year or two.

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
RaichuOPs -I agree I hate 'small talk'. It seems so unnecessary and redundant. Feels like it's required to just start a conversation, though. >.>

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
RaichuOPs -I agree I hate 'small talk'. It seems so unnecessary and redundant. Feels like it's required to just start a conversation, though. >.>
You mean that kind of "Hi!" "Hi!" "How are you?" "I'm great, how are you?" bullshit?

Yeah, it's unneccessary. That's polite and formal in a conversation where making a good impression matters. When you're with friends, I hope you don't do that; have the confidence to just straight-up ask them what they're up to and whether they'd like to do <x> with ya', or ask them how they feel about <y>, shit like that. Friendly conversation is a relaxed thing, not a custom with a bunch of rules attached to it.

For the most part, start off by thinking that if you're not sure what to say, do not say the cliche thing just because you want to find something to say. Think again when that happens.

Last edited:

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
I meant for first impressions, or people you would consider more of a mild acquaintance.

And no, I don't do the small talk thing when I'm with friends.

Magick

Posing school graduate
Oh really? Interesting. I've noticed a lot of people that are very talkative and friendly online, are generally more shy in real life. I guess everybody has to have an outlet for their thoughts and emotions. Some people can express themselves directly, while others are more comfortable doing it indirectly.
I'm much better at being indirect, though I can be pretty direct sometimes. It mostly depends on the situation, and I'm easily overwhelmed by large amounts of people so I tend to stick to small groups and one on one situations.

Krieger

De Oppresso Liber
I think that it would be great to meet up with the people on this site. It would be fun to meet new people with similar interests and be able to speak openly about it rather than suppress it. I was planning on friending a whole bunch of people on Xbox as soon as I got live again, but meeting people in real life would be a heck of a lot better.

Mikhal18

Best. Custom User Title. Ever.
I actually have better friendship relations with people I've met online. Some of them I've already met IRL, but others, unfortunately, I can't (different countries, one of the main reasons for this).

I feel much comfortable speaking indirectly than directly, mainly... due to be really really timid. I can also be direct with anyone but... it takes a while to being able on doing so.

Although, reading a few comments behind, I do like what I read.
And I agree, sometimes it's good to have an "outlet" (quoting Hewge), someone else to talk to and "escape" from reality for a while...