• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Open Chat

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title

Лорик

The mercenaries tried to take over the bar, but I showed them my big dick. Not the first and not the last time.
ss_Сталкер_03-08-21_21-43-41_(l05_bar).jpg

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Happy International Women's Day.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
*makes a note that National Skunk Day is June 14th*

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I remember when open chat was kinda in competition with LPW, and now they are soooo far apart

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Anybody have any feedback on what number of job applications they made before finding a successful one?

I've made 2, which were quite energy-intensive because they required fully prepared research proposals so they took about a month of work to prepare.
I'm moving on to applications 3 and 4.

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
Anybody have any feedback on what number of job applications they made before finding a successful one?

I've made 2, which were quite energy-intensive because they required fully prepared research proposals so they took about a month of work to prepare.
Would depend on a lot of factors, really.

How many applicants are there in total? What field is it in? How's the current job market looking like? What date was it posted in correlation to how the market looks like? There are a bazillion factors, a lot of them tend to be hidden from people. Also keep in mind that a lot of available job offerings are not public and are either announced internally or even just locally. Roughly 60-70% or so of available jobs are not announced/listed publicly on job listing sites and the like.

Generally though I'd say everything from 5-20, though those are only averages and rough estimates mind you. I've seen people getting the job in the first 5 minutes of interviews to people who spend a month applying for dozens upon dozens of jobs, even in fields they are not even remotely interested in working in.

Hmm.. I am curious though. Do they have some sort of firm or firms or the like in the UK that actively help you find a job? We have plenty of them over here in Norway and boy do they know their stuff. I got my current job through such a firm, and my contact person in that firm was very lovely to work with.

~Edit~
Right, forgot to add the total applications.. I made 3 in total, all of them including practice.

Last edited:

fernshiine

I wish I started writing my book March 1 because I write 1,000 words a day and I'd be at 11,000 but I'm currently at 4,890 and it drives me nuts (I'll be at 5,000 at the end of the day). Ah well.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.

I'm insulted you didn't ask me. :confused:

Being serious though, I took my experiences with job searching and asked my siblings about their experiences submitting resumes since I wanted a better sample group to give you, but admittedly none of us work in academia or your field currently, so factor that into your calculations.

I was recommended for the firm I currently work for and before that I was a research librarian for my alma mater because jobs in the banking sector where scarce during the recession and I had family expenses to help out with, so I only sent out 20 resumes when I needed to upgrade from being a research librarian. I heard back from about 7 or 8 jobs, but I had already been hired by my current employers, so a lot of good that did me.

My sister only submitted about 10 resumes for her first post-graduate job, but she was applying well after the recession, has postgraduate education, and she had done a internship at the bank that hired her on. When she left banking and became a teacher, according to her, she submitted 5 resumes for school she wanted to work at and got offers from all 5. After her Peace Corps rotation, she got another job as a teacher again since they scaled back because of the pandemic, but the city was in need of teachers so she just needed to submit a general resume and cover letter. The education system then subsequently placed her with the school she is working at now.

My brother is an extreme case because he was a year behind me in university, so he also graduated into the recession job market here, which prompted him in take a job with an insurance company, which promptly made him starting looking for another job while he was there. He submitted about 200 resumes over two weeks, with the requisite tailored cover letters, though most of those jobs weren't in banking or finance. He wound up getting hired by AIG a few interviews in, but I know he complaining about getting interview and offer e-mails for a couple months after he signed on, so his efforts paid off even if they crowded his inbox. I'm pretty proud of him. He subsequent jobs were in straight banking, but from what he said, he mainly got them without a lot of effort.

My girlfriend works in fashion as a concept designer , which is a weird industry, but she had to submit about 50 resumes and she heard back from a few of them, though she doesn't remember how many.

So I would say submit as many as you can, though I know your applications more complex and consuming than anything we'd submit.

I hope you get the job you want soon, though.

Last edited: