• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Open Chat

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
Good morning. Also, pardon the grammar on the last post.

StolenMadWolf

resident Lab Wolf
First off, my general disclaimer is I haven't sent my fiction off to an agent or publisher, take what I say with a grain of salt. It may help to revise the manuscript for any grammatical errors and rework the plot for general audience depending what you are writing, as a starting point. However, I don't know what genre you are writing in and you're apparently in the UK, which is difficult market to publish in, particularly for science fiction and fantasy, because publishing houses there are looking to also market their books and authors here in the States, since the American literary market is larger.

So you may have more luck looking for American publishers to print your book than UK publishers.

Another aspect to consider is that a lot science fiction and fantasy imprints often look for sequels to works before agreeing to publish, so it can be easier to market a series rather than a stand-alone.

This guy breaks down the economics and intricacies of the publishing industry:

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/04/common-misconceptions-about-pu-1.html
If you need further advice about writing, you can contact me here on the forum.

It's a science-fiction story with werewolf elements, so on one hand, it has a niche, but hopefully it should be good for a wider audience. I suppose it would also make sense for British Publishers to eventully pass things over to the US, though I don't know how sci-fi/fantasy is difficult to get into.

The only problem is, publishers from both sides of the pond don't take maniscripts from authors, they have to go through Agents to do that.

Well, I'm hoping to do get the story together as a series, so that's a plus.

I'll give that link a read through, and if I think of anything extra I'll let you know!

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
It's a science-fiction story with werewolf elements, so on one hand, it has a niche, but hopefully it should be good for a wider audience. I suppose it would also make sense for British Publishers to eventully pass things over to the US, though I don't know how sci-fi/fantasy is difficult to get into.

The only problem is, publishers from both sides of the pond don't take maniscripts from authors, they have to go through Agents to do that.

Well, I'm hoping to do get the story together as a series, so that's a plus.

I'll give that link a read through, and if I think of anything extra I'll let you know!
I wish you the best of luck, but this publisher is one of my favorite small presses, so maybe you may have luck with them: https://www.angryrobotbooks.com/submissions/

Wolf-Goes-Brrr

Every second is a second you can’t take back.
Hey there, pretty good. Gots cooking done and had fun with dnd and twitch, how bout yourself
Nice! I have been reading about D&D for some time now, still need a lot of learning before i play ha.
I have been doing good, thank you ^ ^ just eating some salad right now and chillin

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
Nice! I have been reading about D&D for some time now, still need a lot of learning before i play ha.
I have been doing good, thank you ^ ^ just eating some salad right now and chillin
Nice. DnD is intimidating when you read about it but after a couple sessions thinga become fairly intuitive. Just need a group to show you the ropes.

Wolf-Goes-Brrr

Every second is a second you can’t take back.
Nice. DnD is intimidating when you read about it but after a couple sessions thinga become fairly intuitive. Just need a group to show you the ropes.
Yeah, it sure is intimidating. But Youtube and Reddit helps out a lot.
Good thing i have a willing group though, however they know less than me lol

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN? ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! YOU ARE ON THE WAY TO DESTRUCTION AND HAVE NO CHANCE, MAKE YOUR TIME! HA HA HA HA!

FureverWolf

Can someone tell me please how people can accidentally necro a thread so I know what not to do. Just want to make sure I don't get the groups ire by accidentally doing it. Forewarned is forearmed and all that. Thank you.

D

Deleted member 82554

No one accidentally necro's a thread, they usually do it for shits and giggles. And let's say if they do, they are unaware of how old the thread is in the first place. Typically anything older than a year from the last post is considered a necro.

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Can someone tell me please how people can accidentally necro a thread so I know what not to do. Just want to make sure I don't get the groups ire by accidentally doing it. Forewarned is forearmed and all that. Thank you.

As long as you can add to the conversation it's not against the rules to revive one. Some people will complain. Others will join in on the conversation.

Trolls will often revive an old thread and delete their comment, making it seem like the next person in line was responsible for doing so.

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
As long as you can add to the conversation it's not against the rules to revive one. Some people will complain. Others will join in on the conversation.
This, essentially. Generally necroing threads that are like 6 months old or more is kind of bad netiquette, but if you add to the thread and a conversation starts I have no issues with it personally.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
My father called me out of the blue this morning. He said he "had a sudden overwhelming sense of dread that one of his cubs was in danger" and I was just like, please don't use that word.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Just wrote out two cards/letters and put spiffy stamps on them, to mail out to two furry friends, on this site : )

I think I am gonna finally get back into writing letters, something I used to do tons of, but let fall by the wayside. Felt nice, to be doing it again, and it's so fun, to get actual, physical mail, that isn't junk/bills.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Watch; do these images make you feel amused, endeared, anxious or a weird combination of two or more?
1616846090187.png